By Lynn

A RESOLUTION to affirm Tennessee's sovereignty under the
Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the
United States and to demand the federal
government halt its practice of assuming powers
and of imposing mandates upon the states for
purposes not enumerated by the Constitution of
the United States.

WHEREAS, the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States reads as follows: "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people"; and

WHEREAS, the Tenth Amendment defines the total scope of federal power as being that specifically granted by the Constitution of the United States and no more; and

WHEREAS, the scope of power defined by the Tenth Amendment means that the
federal government was created by the states specifically to be an agent of the states; and

WHEREAS, today, in 2009, the states are demonstrably treated as agents of the federal government; and

WHEREAS, many powers assumed by the federal government and federal mandates are directly in violation of the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States; and

WHEREAS, the United States Supreme Court has ruled in New York v. United States, 112 S. Ct. 2408 (1992), that Congress may not simply commandeer the legislative and regulatory processes of the states; and

WHEREAS, a number of proposals from previous administrations and some now
pending from the present administration and from Congress may further violate the Constitution of the United States; now, therefore, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES OF THE ONE HUNDRED SIXTH GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE, THE SENATE CONCURRING, that we hereby affirm Tennessee's sovereignty under the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States over all powers not otherwise enumerated and granted to the federal government by the Constitution of the United States. We also demand the federal government to halt and reverse its practice of assuming powers and of imposing mandates upon the states for purposes not enumerated by the Constitution of the United States.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that a committee of conference and correspondence be appointed by the Speaker of the House and of the Senate, which shall have as its charge to communicate the preceding resolution to the legislatures of the several states, to assure them that this State continues in the same esteem of their friendship and to call for a joint working group between the states to enumerate the abuses of authority by the federal government and to seek repeal of the assumption of powers and the imposed mandates.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that a certified copy of this resolution be transmitted to the President of the United States, the President of the United States Senate, the Speaker and the Clerk of the United States House of Representatives, and to each member of Tennessee's Congressional delegation.

http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/billinfo/default.aspx?BillNumber=HJR0108

anaconda
03-03-2009, 03:25 PM
I wonder if the states could operate banks in a way that the IRS could not seize the assets of their residents?

Matt Collins
03-03-2009, 03:49 PM
I like Rep Susan Lynn

anaconda
03-04-2009, 01:27 AM
I like Rep Susan Lynn

Is she a state representative or a U.S. representative?

mdmarino
03-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Is she a state representative or a U.S. representative?

State rep. Her blog: http://susan-lynn.blogspot.com/

Good for her. I've been hearing her on our local morning radio talk show, and so far, I like what she says.

Matt Collins
03-04-2009, 01:43 PM
What's funny is that this was kind of my idea. I suggested it to her at a forum in front of a bunch of fellow libertarians/conservatives and she came up to me afterwards to give me her e-mail address. I sent her more information on the subject. A few weeks later next thing I know it has been introduced!

anaconda
03-04-2009, 06:34 PM
What's funny is that this was kind of my idea. I suggested it to her at a forum in front of a bunch of fellow libertarians/conservatives and she came up to me afterwards to give me her e-mail address. I sent her more information on the subject. A few weeks later next thing I know it has been introduced!

Well done, Matt!