PDA

View Full Version : Top Obama Officials Defend Tax Hikes as Necessary

hillbilly123069
03-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Here comes the real fucking.
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=6997367

President Barack Obama's top economic officials on Tuesday vigorously defended the administration's $3.6 trillion budget against Republican claims that it contained overly optimistic economic assumptions and included stealthy tax increases that could end up hitting most Americans.

Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner and White House Budget Director Peter Orszag, in separate appearances on Capitol Hill, stuck to the administration line that the president's budget would benefit 95 percent of working Americans.

Higher taxes for affluent Americans would not come until 2011 once "we are safely into recovery," Geithner told the tax-writing House Ways and Means Committee.

"I'm confident this is the right path for the country," Geithner said.

But Republicans argued that the portion of the budget that would require polluters to purchase permits from the government for their greenhouse gas emissions would essentially impose huge new energy costs on all consumers and businesses.

"The president's budget increases taxes on every American, and does so during a recession," Rep. Dave Camp, R-Mich., told Geithner.

Camp also complained about provisions that would limit the size of charitable contributions that could be taken by families earning more than $250,000 a year.

But Geithner defended the overall proposal, saying far more people would benefit from lower taxes under the plan. He said the budget reflects what Obama viewed as "a deep moral imperative to make our society more just. But it's very good economic policy too. It will mean there is again a fairer, more equitably shared tax burden on the vast majority of Americans."

Orszag faced similar questioning before the House Budget Committee.

"The new administration has inherited an economic crisis unlike any we have seen in our lifetimes," Orszag said in defending the spending and tax levels of the budget.

Some lawmakers challenged the economic projections contained in the budget as far too optimistic.

SWATH
03-03-2009, 02:46 PM
"a deep moral imperative to make our society more just"

There is no justice.

Feenix566
03-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Well the Democrats don't need the Republicans' help to pass the budget, so why should they care what the Repubs say about it?

It's all total bullshit. Yeah, sure, they can cut the taxes they charge directly to most Americans. But if they simultaneously raise taxes on all businesses through "greenhouse gas" taxes and higher taxes on small businesses, all Americans will end up paying more in the form of higher prices for everything we buy.

Let's not forget that the whole greenhouse theory is just a theory, and it's not supported by facts, and recent climate data actually falsifies it. I don't suppose that matters to the leftists who only want to use it as an excuse to tax businesses more.

Not to mention the morally repugnant notion of the President using the tax code as a means to create a more "just" society. This idea can only be based on the assumption that everyone with money stole it, and everyone without money deserves more of it. It's classic leftist thinking. They don't believe wealth can be created. They don't believe wealth can be deserved. They see everything as class warfare. Their assumptions are plainly false. They're trying to create justice, but they'll end up doing the exact opposite.

Theocrat
03-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Oh, no! Say it ain't so! SAY IT AIN'T SO! Theysa gonna tax us high, high, high! Oh, why, gov'ment? Don't you love us anysmore? Oh, please, massahs. Have moicy on us, and let us keep our money! Oh, Democrats, please be fair to us. I pwomise I won't get myself too rich. I pwomise!