PDA

View Full Version : Is my Online TD Ameritrade account worth using?

Maximilian American
03-03-2009, 01:18 PM
I've had a joint account with my father for about 5 years now. I would advise him on stocks every so often and he would always consider them and sometimes buy them, the results were profitable more times than not. We haven't bought any stocks since 2005, fortunately I got us out of nearly every stock that was worth value before the current decline started. He never really had a good understanding of the market and how it works though, and even though I know better I still have much to learn, but thanks to our movement I do have an understanding of value in the market today.

What I need to know is if this company, TD Ameritrade, is worth using in comparison to its other competitors. I plan to buy some mining and agriculture stocks in the near future and stay long on the majority of the shares...short about 15%-30% of the shares within the next year to 3 years for short profits. So I'm just preparing and would be grateful for any shared thoughts.

Epic
03-03-2009, 01:28 PM
I use TD Ameritrade they are a reputable company

Their stock has held up pretty good (http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:AMTD)

so I don't see many warning signs.

Ethek
03-03-2009, 02:01 PM
I use an ameritrade account. I assume they are paird or loosely paird with TD Banknorth. I've been meaning to look to see how and what kind of exposure they have to worthless assests.

I love the Iphone app (istockmanager) thats on the app store. Its easier for me to trade from the phone than it is to open up the streaming client or web app. L o v e i t.

Maximilian American
03-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the inputs. Feeling more confident about the company.

Josh_LA
03-03-2009, 02:14 PM
How's Scottrade in comparison?

Thrashertm
03-03-2009, 02:59 PM
I use TD for my brokerage. I just signed up for a biz account with them too. I think I checked them for stability on Bankrate.com

tmosley
03-03-2009, 03:01 PM
I don't use them, but I know of no reasons not to.