PDA

View Full Version : Bailouts: NEW $1 Trillion Bailout Coming Soon...

clb09
03-03-2009, 11:25 AM
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=alwTE0Z5.1EA&refer=home#

The misleading numbers posted by retirement fund administrators help mask this reality: Public pensions in the U.S. had total liabilities of $2.9 trillion as of Dec. 16, according to the Center for Retirement Research at Boston College. Their total assets are about 30 percent less than that, at $2 trillion.

With stock market losses this year, public pensions in the U.S. are now underfunded by more than $1 trillion.

That lack of funds explains why dozens of retirement plans in the U.S. have issued more than $50 billion in pension obligation bonds during the past 25 years -- more than half of them since 1997 -- public records show.

The quick fix for pension funds becomes a future albatross for taxpayers.

Obama will take care of this problem too...just print up new money! :rolleyes:

Sandra
03-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Why don't the implement a trickle up economy! Give us the money to pay off our mortgages, and we can use the money we didn't have to shell out to buy stuff! Yeah! :rolleyes:

LittleLightShining
03-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Why don't the implement a trickle up economy! Give us the money to pay off our mortgages, and we can use the money we didn't have to shell out to buy stuff! Yeah! :rolleyes:My husband and I were saying exactly the same thing this morning!

ihsv
03-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Why don't the implement a trickle up economy! Give us the money to pay off our mortgages, and we can use the money we didn't have to shell out to buy stuff! Yeah! :rolleyes:

Because that would put the spending power in the hands of the people. Government can't control where it goes or what you do with it. They don't like that.

LT for the Truth
03-03-2009, 12:03 PM

bump for 'trickle up' economics! ;)

PatriotG
03-03-2009, 12:11 PM
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=alwTE0Z5.1EA&refer=home#

Obama will take care of this problem too...just print up new money! :rolleyes:

One of my biggest fears: Nationalization of 401K's and IRA's.

http://www.restoretherepublic.org/documents/guaranteed_retirement.pdf

I have been thinking about this alot lately. Was wondering what the group though abou tthe possibilty of TPTB looting our retirement money.

I see it as a viable possibilty.

slacker921
03-03-2009, 12:22 PM
looting the pension/retirement plans has happened recently (Argentina (http://www.nowpublic.com/world/argentina-pension-nationalization-move-hits-stock-market))..

Putting the stimulus into the hands of the people didn't work out too well last Summer (goobermint handed out $150,000,000,000 to lower and middle income taxpayers).. why would it work now?

The market won't stabilize as long as the threat of nationalization and other government intervention still exists. If the government indicates that it's going to allow smart business to have a chance in the market (rather than punishing it by rewarding poorly managed business) then private money will flood back into the market. There is far more private capital around the world sitting on the sidelines than what the US government is throwing around (causing the markets to crash).

Sandra
03-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Itr would make sense to use that bailout since it's being given out anyway to stabelize or payoff foreclosure risks at customer level (with no strings attached), oh, pay the company directly, money will then be paid to the mortgage holder so no need to beg for bailouts, people with potential foreclosures have this solved so the general public'c confidence rises and more money circulates in the business sector. Never do this again.

Now how we go from this to the gold standard, I haven't thought of yet.

AuH20
03-03-2009, 12:42 PM
If domestic unrest ever ensues in Saudi Arabia and China, and our creditors have to pull back whats left of their loans, the whole system will topple like a house of cards.

Omphfullas Zamboni
03-03-2009, 01:07 PM
bump for 'trickle up' economics! ;)

Instead of the, "trickle-down effect" we can call it the, "condensation effect".

MsDoodahs
03-03-2009, 01:44 PM
One of my biggest fears: Nationalization of 401K's and IRA's.

http://www.restoretherepublic.org/documents/guaranteed_retirement.pdf

I have been thinking about this alot lately. Was wondering what the group though abou tthe possibilty of TPTB looting our retirement money.

I see it as a viable possibilty.

Bill Clinton floated the idea when he was prez - I fully expect them to get around to it eventually.

majinkoola
03-03-2009, 02:06 PM
Pension funds are underfunded by a trillion based on assumptions the gov't forces the plans to have. Whenever the inflation hits, the pension plans won't be underfunded as it will be easy for these plans to earn more nominal interest. The pensions are underfunded in real terms, though.

clb09
03-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Pension funds are underfunded by a trillion based on assumptions the gov't forces the plans to have. Whenever the inflation hits, the pension plans won't be underfunded as it will be easy for these plans to earn more nominal interest. The pensions are underfunded in real terms, though.

So increased interest rates will make up for the shortfall of assets?

satchelmcqueen
03-03-2009, 08:06 PM

well, that would make too much sense. there for the government wont do it.

Anti Federalist
03-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Because that would put the spending power in the hands of the people. Government can't control where it goes or what you do with it. They don't like that.

Grinning toothy animals back at you.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/image.php?u=5401&dateline=1193081294