PDA

View Full Version : And there goes New Hampshire...

jrich4rpaul
03-03-2009, 06:43 AM
Shame. I was getting ready to move up there too... but it's already starting.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2009/02/18/nh_lawmakers_voting_on_seat_belt_law/?rss_id=Boston.com+--+New+Hampshire+news

The New Hampshire House on Wednesday approved a bill that would require all drivers and passengers to wear seat belts.

The legislation would create a "primary" seat-belt enforcement law, meaning police could stop motorists for not wearing seat belts even if they haven't committed any other infraction.

New Hampshire would receive $3.7 million in federal grants if it enacts a primary seat-belt enforcement law.

Brassmouth
03-03-2009, 06:44 AM

werdd
03-03-2009, 07:10 AM
GG NH.

Favoring goverment subsidies over states rights. Going the way of the rest of the states.

Anti Federalist
03-03-2009, 07:13 AM
NH residents!

Contact Gov. John Lynch about this bill.

He will veto it if he hears from enough of you.

jrich4rpaul
03-03-2009, 07:16 AM
NH residents!

+1

Don't let the Massholes who are migrating up there change your policies. Get heard over them!

Austin
03-03-2009, 07:19 AM
Call your state senators, it appears to have only passed in the house.

Call the governor too.

roho76
03-03-2009, 07:26 AM
+1

Don't let the Massholes who are migrating up there change your policies. Get heard over them!

Massholes. That's awsome. I've never heard that before. I'll have to use that.

TonySutton
03-03-2009, 07:36 AM
Selling their souls for $3 a head...

What a shame :(

The bill would then be sent to the Senate if it passes the House again.

NH residents still have a chance. They need to flood their representatives with calls, emails and letters telling them to vote NO!

Kludge
03-03-2009, 07:43 AM
Really... You all ought to be wearing your seatbelt, anyway. This was a state choice (granted, it was persuaded with federal money) and brings the state some money back which would have otherwise been squandered less efficiently on the federal level. Seems win-win from a true conservative/liberal aspect, and just a minor loss for individual liberties. I mean -- I can see why you might write your governor if you live there, but the outrage and depression seems a bit too far. Idunno, maybe you're just that emotionally attached to not wearing a seatbelt.

It's not like your rights weren't already violated on a regular basis ...

Theocrat
03-03-2009, 07:44 AM
NH residents!

If you click on this link (http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/whosmyleg/), you'll have easier access to contact your legislators in NH about this.

By the way, I didn't know there were no seat belt laws in NH (until now). That's awesome.

ItsTime
03-03-2009, 08:05 AM
The dems have control. There is little we can do.

Elwar
03-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Really... You all ought to be wearing your seatbelt, anyway. This was a state choice (granted, it was persuaded with federal money) and brings the state some money back which would have otherwise been squandered less efficiently on the federal level. Seems win-win from a true conservative/liberal aspect, and just a minor loss for individual liberties. I mean -- I can see why you might write your governor if you live there, but the outrage and depression seems a bit too far. Idunno, maybe you're just that emotionally attached to not wearing a seatbelt.

Really...you shouldn't be smoking anyway...
Really...you should be going to church every Sunday anyway...
Really...you shouldn't eat unhealthy food anyway...
Really...you shouldn't cuss anyway...
Really...you should donate to the poor anyway...

But you get a few dollars to give up such a minor loss of individual liberties...

I dunno, maybe you're just that emotionally attached to being free.

Kludge
03-03-2009, 08:58 AM
Really...you shouldn't be smoking anyway...
Really...you should be going to church every Sunday anyway...
Really...you shouldn't eat unhealthy food anyway...
Really...you shouldn't cuss anyway...
Really...you should donate to the poor anyway...

But you get a few dollars to give up such a minor loss of individual liberties...

I dunno, maybe you're just that emotionally attached to being free.

That argument is as silly as equating the lowering of taxes to anarchy, or abolishing the Department of Education as the complete disestablishment of education in the United States.

werdd
03-03-2009, 07:09 PM

And your a self proposed nihilist? In the grand scheme of things what does it matter if you wear your seat belt or not, our existance is insignificant. :P

dannno
03-03-2009, 07:12 PM

I wear my seatbelt all the time, I detest non-seatbelt usage. I always tell my passengers to belt up. At the same time, the law is ludicrous and I don't support it. Individuals have the right to make their own life decisions, as long as they aren't harming someone else.

Master
03-03-2009, 07:15 PM
I wear my seatbelt all the time, I detest non-seatbelt usage. I always tell my passengers to belt up. At the same time, the law is ludicrous and I don't support it. Individuals have the right to make their own life decisions, as long as they aren't harming someone else.

This is what I was saying in an argument with my friend. He came up with the reasoning behind seat belt laws were insurance reasons. :confused:

bill50
03-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Massholes. That's awsome. I've never heard that before. I'll have to use that.

Mass residents often call themselves Massholes because they are proud of their road hogging, aggressive driving.

They do not realize that they are a bunch of communists for the most part, so they do not call themselves Massholes for the same reason you might.

Kludge
03-03-2009, 11:18 PM
And your a self proposed nihilist? In the grand scheme of things what does it matter if you wear your seat belt or not, our existance is insignificant. :P

It makes for interesting conversation. I'm curious about how you all think in relation to how others and I think. Besides, I'm still concerned about my own well-being. Obviously, I'd rather be obligated to do as little as possible, since being obligated at threat of imprisonment is always a hassle...

I agree. I just don't understand the outrage over this when there are so many more intrusive, unnecessary, and dangerous (with regard to our lives) laws in existence.

Edit: Pardon my use of "existence", please.

BuddyRey
03-03-2009, 11:30 PM
I just called Lynch and told him that if he wants me to remain a prospective future resident of New Hampshire, he'd better fight like Hell to oppose draconian legislation like this!

Call Gov. Lynch and (politely) remind him that New Hampshire's reputation for personal and economic liberty is the very reason so many people are moving there!

(603) 271-2121

Even though it's currently after-hours, you can leave a voice message by pressing zero.

Roxi
03-03-2009, 11:39 PM
posted both link to facebook :)

Mini-Me
03-04-2009, 12:09 AM
Somehow I have a feeling that a few million dollars in federal funds will be quickly eaten up by the soon-to-follow mass advertising campaign about wearing your seatbelt...or at least that's how it feels in Ohio, where nearly every other billboard and radio ad seems like it's a public service announcement from the government (slightly exaggerating, but...). :rolleyes:

Kludge, I think that people are up in arms about this issue in particular because it sets a precedent...or at the very least, I can think of no obvious precedent it's already following (with respect to the state of New Hampshire). By passing this legislation, New Hampshire's legislature is taking the [probably new] position that the state can force citizens to take some arbitrary positive action "for their own good" (in this case wearing a seatbelt). It logically follows that by maintaining the same exact premise of moral authority, the state could go further and "justify" imposing every other restriction in Elwar's list upon the citizens of New Hampshire. As far as New Hampshire is concerned, I can't think of any similar precedent (although there may be one already).