PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else notice that people don't remember things you tell them...

Reason
03-03-2009, 01:40 AM
Maybe this is my experience alone but it seems like I am noticing more and more people in everyday life that can't recall/remember simple bits of information that I am 100% sure either I told them, or someone else told them and know that they participated in the conversation...

Once I started noticing this I starting paying more attention to it and now I am finding more and more and more instances of this. Professors, friends, family etc....

It makes me wonder what the causes could be....

Our television soaked lives?

Our lack of critical thinking?

:confused:

LittleLightShining
03-03-2009, 06:53 AM
Oh, yeah. I notice it, too. I thought it was just me.

jrich4rpaul
03-03-2009, 06:56 AM
I've noticed this as well.

Anti Federalist
03-03-2009, 07:01 AM
Fluoridated brain soup.

Multiple causes, shit in the air, shit in the water, shit in the food, mind numbing "entertainment", 100 million scrips of Xanax, Prozac and all the rest, I don't have time to list them all.

Listen to people talk sometime, I mean, really listen.

You'll find conversations where you can barely understand what is being said, slurred speech, unintelligible grunts and words strung together that make very little sense.

Kraig
03-03-2009, 07:44 AM
I think many times it's just an issue of saying things they don't want to hear.

Madison
03-03-2009, 07:48 AM
Multiple causes, shit in the air, shit in the water, shit in the food, mind numbing "entertainment", 100 million scrips of Xanax, Prozac and all the rest, I don't have time to list them all.

Yes. They're also outbreeding us. The Idiocracy is coming.

Theocrat
03-03-2009, 07:52 AM
Fluoridated brain soup.

You'll find conversations where you can barely understand what is being said, slurred speech, unintelligible grunts and words strung together that make very little sense.

Those things go against the idea of human evolution, not that I believe that in any way.

reduen
03-03-2009, 07:55 AM
Same experiences happen here. My youngest son remembers everything that I tell him and then it seems to get gradually worse from my oldest son to my wife. As far as friends and acquaintances and extended family go, it seems random to me but I think that it has to do with how full of themselves people are and how important that they perceive the information given to them. I get the old “I knew I heard that somewhere but couldn’t remember where” a lot.

There are also one or two of my buddies that could not remember something to save their lives though. I love those folks dearly but I have just given up telling them anything and look out for them the best that I can sorta behind the scenes. (If you know what I mean…) :)

Sandra
03-03-2009, 07:56 AM
I don't know... i don't remember.

Kludge
03-03-2009, 07:58 AM
Depends on the person's interest level regarding the subject, I imagine.

I can recall everything from my government/psychology/history classes because I'm focused when the material is covered. You try to talk to me about technical science or math -- my eyes will glaze over and I'll be lucky to remember a quarter of the covered material.

A. Havnes
03-03-2009, 08:00 AM
I notice that, too. I myself have a tendency to remember facts, statistics, etc., but if you tell me to remember to scrub the toilet, I forget.

Anyway, I tend to notice that people either can't remember anything I tell them, or they forget that I was the one who told them and they repeat it to me later. That gets annoying.

Original_Intent
03-03-2009, 08:01 AM
I blame chem trails. :eek:

reduen
03-03-2009, 08:05 AM
Fluoridated brain soup.

Got a good point here Mel. If I took the same "prescription drugs" as most of the people that I know do, I guess I would be just like them.

Ths brings up another question . Do any of you know anyone that those anti-depression drugs have really helped...? I can think of more than a dozen people that I know are on them (different flavors..) and none of them are even close to as happy as my family is. They are constantly going to the doctor month after month to change the dosage or to try a new drug but nothing helps them. They are still constantly grumpy and complian about everything or cry at the drop of a hat..... (Very confusing to me...) :confused:

The strongest thing that any of us ever take is Ibuprofin. (spelling..?)

reduen
03-03-2009, 08:08 AM
I notice that, too. I myself have a tendency to remember facts, statistics, etc., but if you tell me to remember to scrub the toilet, I forget.

Anyway, I tend to notice that people either can't remember anything I tell them, or they forget that I was the one who told them and they repeat it to me later. That gets annoying.

"or they forget that I was the one who told them and they repeat it to me later."

Oh, I hate it when they do that to me...... Makes me just want to hit them upside the head and give them a V-8. (Splash though cause thats how I roll..)

LittleLightShining
03-03-2009, 08:10 AM
Got a good point here Mel. If I took the same "prescription drugs" as most of the people that I know do, I guess I would be just like them.

Ths brings up another question . Do any of you know anyone that those anti-depression drugs have really helped...? I can think of more than a dozen people that I know are on them (different flavors..) and none of them are even close to as happy as my family is. They are constantly going to the doctor month after month to change the dosage or to try a new drug but nothing helps them. They are still constantly grumpy and complian about everything or cry at the drop of a hat..... (Very confusing to me...) :confused:

The strongest thing that any of us ever take is Ibuprofin. (spelling..?)I know someone who went through a period of intense suicidal depression. This person took lexapro for about 9 months and then stopped taking it. It definitely helped. I also know some people who have struggled with depression and anxiety for decades and they are constantly bouncing from one medication to another. None seem to help.

reduen
03-03-2009, 08:59 AM
I know someone who went through a period of intense suicidal depression. This person took lexapro for about 9 months and then stopped taking it. It definitely helped. I also know some people who have struggled with depression and anxiety for decades and they are constantly bouncing from one medication to another. None seem to help.

I appreciate your post here and I wonder was it the lexepro or just time, the intervention and attention in the end? (Not really a direct and/or confrontational question here..)

My brother went through a period in his life when he was depressed and suicidal. He tried to end his life about half a dozen times, to the point that we all just accepted that it would happen sometime. (All this while on different meds..) He finally moved back in with me and my family and in time with our attention he got over it... (The drugs did not work in this case)

I worked for the State Sheriffs Boys and Girls Ranch for a couple years, with many troubled young children of various ages and never saw one occasion where the side effects of the drugs that were prescribed were not as bad or worse than the ADD, ADHD, or Depression they were trying to treat. In my opinion it was attention and love that all those children needed and were lacking. If they could not get positive attention, then they would act out and get negative attention. I pray that I made a difference in just one life while there....

I am skeptical of those medications to say the least…

LittleLightShining
03-03-2009, 09:10 AM
I appreciate your post here and I wonder was it the lexepro or just time, the intervention and attention in the end? (Not really a direct and/or confrontational question here..) I think it was the Lexapro but there were some other things going on-- like a move, change in routine-- that helped. The Lexapro helped change the person's reactions to situations that would ordinarily cause stress, anger or depression. Instead of reacting in an inappropriately emotional way the person was able to react in a more rational way. After some time on the meds the brain was "re-trained".

My brother went through a period in his life when he was depressed and suicidal. He tried to end his life about half a dozen times, to the point that we all just accepted that it would happen sometime. (All this while on different meds..) He finally moved back in with me and my family and in time with our attention he got over it... (The drugs did not work in this case) That must have been so difficult. You're a good person (with a good supportive family) to help him through that!

I worked for the State Sheriffs Boys and Girls Ranch for a couple years, with many troubled young children of various ages and never saw one occasion where the side effects of the drugs that were prescribed were not as bad or worse than the ADD, ADHD, or Depression they were trying to treat. In my opinion it was attention and love that all those children needed and were lacking. If they could not get positive attention, then they would act out and get negative attention. I pray that I made a difference in just one life while there....

I am skeptical of those medications to say the least…
I guess if you're working in this type of environment you see a lot more than most people do. I can tell you that the person I know never thought meds were an option-- especially after watching other people have problems with them-- but it was a desperate situation and thankfully it worked.

Brian4Liberty
03-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Just the way it is. People don't really listen for the most part.

constituent
03-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Those things go against the idea of human evolution, not that I believe that in any way.

depends on how one defines "fittest" i suppose.

constituent
03-03-2009, 12:26 PM
never saw one occasion where the side effects of the drugs that were prescribed were not as bad or worse than the ADD, ADHD, or Depression they were trying to treat.

Amphetamines were the difference between F(s) and A(s) for me.

That difference often makes all the difference.

(I know many other people who had the same experience.)

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
03-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Maybe this is my experience alone but it seems like I am noticing more and more people in everyday life that can't recall/remember simple bits of information that I am 100% sure either I told them, or someone else told them and know that they participated in the conversation...

Once I started noticing this I starting paying more attention to it and now I am finding more and more and more instances of this. Professors, friends, family etc....

Descartes once commented that most people who congratulated him on his work didn't understand it.

dannno
03-03-2009, 12:32 PM
Fluoridated water, chemtrails, processed food chemicals, MSM.. it's all very damaging to the brain.

slacker921
03-03-2009, 12:32 PM
Stress and anxiety.. lack of sleep.. all common these days, all cause people to be distracted and lose short term memory.

The cure is exercise and turning off the propaganda tube.

Chabsfromcanada
03-03-2009, 12:49 PM
I think people have lost the ability to fully concentrate, myself included. I find that when I am studying, every once in a while, random off topic thoughts pop into my head. Nothing bad, but just random garbage that is distracting for a few seconds at a time. It happens often enough that I notice, and it pisses me off. I have spoken to a few friends, and my wife about it, and they all have the exact same story on the subject. Why is that? I would be willing to bet that most people, if they honestly thought about it, and watched for it, have the same problem.

So what is the answer? And I already don't watch TV, although I did at one time, years ago.

Reason
03-03-2009, 07:24 PM
"or they forget that I was the one who told them and they repeat it to me later."

Oh, I hate it when they do that to me...... Makes me just want to hit them upside the head and give them a V-8. (Splash though cause thats how I roll..)

This happens to me ALL THE EFFING TIME!!! :mad:

I have had many people actually try and use information or points that I told them a few months ago against me in an argument LMAO

Anti Federalist
03-03-2009, 07:55 PM

It is just the opposite.

http://www.freewilliamsburg.com/archives/devo2.jpg

satchelmcqueen
03-03-2009, 08:03 PM
dumb-assness-itists.

new blood disorder which effects most MSM watching people.

SWATH
03-03-2009, 08:52 PM
This happens to me ALL THE EFFING TIME!!! :mad:

I have had many people actually try and use information or points that I told them a few months ago against me in an argument LMAO

I told a coworker how stupid the Dept. of Education was and told him I would send him some info on it. I emailed him the youtubes of John Stossel's "Stupid in America". The next friggin' day at a party he was telling me all about this show he saw that I would like because it said how stupid the Dept. of Education was. I said "really, no shit, I would love to see it, find out who sent it to you and then forward it to me". He said "sure", I never got that forward.

heavenlyboy34
03-03-2009, 09:03 PM
dumb-assness-itists.

new blood disorder which effects most MSM watching people.

lol...MSM-sters give me the giggles (and sometimes LOL's)! ;):D

Live_Free_Or_Die
03-03-2009, 10:00 PM
hell i forgot what the thread was about... brb...

Isaac Bickerstaff
03-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Could be copper toxicity. As more people have the water cooling function on their refrigerators, the water moves more slowly through the copper lines and accumulates higher copper levels. Virtually all ADHD cases have increased copper levels. There are various chelating techniques to flush the copper out of the system, but I am too lazy to look for them right now.
If you must drink tap water, you should run "old" water out of the pipes daily. Supplement with molybdenum; it helps deal with heavy metal toxicity.

satchelmcqueen
03-03-2009, 10:19 PM
hell i forgot what the thread was about... brb...

you drinkin? lol!

Reason
03-03-2009, 10:27 PM
I told a coworker how stupid the Dept. of Education was and told him I would send him some info on it. I emailed him the youtubes of John Stossel's "Stupid in America". The next friggin' day at a party he was telling me all about this show he saw that I would like because it said how stupid the Dept. of Education was. I said "really, no shit, I would love to see it, find out who sent it to you and then forward it to me". He said "sure", I never got that forward.

he probably forgot to forward it and never realized the irony :p

Mini-Me
03-03-2009, 11:51 PM

I've noticed it about myself. I've gotten much wiser over the past few years, but in terms of "general intelligence," I think I've been getting "slower" ever since age 16 or so. I'm not as quick at picking up difficult new concepts as I used to be (an intermediate-level artificial intelligence course a couple years ago really beat up my self-esteem ;)), and my memory has been getting noticeably worse. That's pretty bad, considering I'm only 24! Judging by common knowledge about the benefits of exercise and the fact that I quit Tae Kwon Do when I was 16 (and that was practically my ONLY exercise), I'm pretty sure that my sedentary lifestyle is probably the biggest contributor to my "mental decline." Maybe I should get out and run...

That said, I think that all of the stress involved with living at a time like this is bound to wear on people and make them a bit more scatterbrained, too. (...and of course, it can't help that most people have a crappy diet, either...myself included, for the most part. Fast food is just SO convenient...and living in the suburbs, the idea of non-fluoridated water is entirely foreign to me. ;))

Reason
03-04-2009, 02:00 PM
One thing that I absolutely refuse to compromise is getting a minimum of a solid 8 hours of sleep every night. Seems like a lot of people don't do this these days.

LittleLightShining
03-04-2009, 02:08 PM
One thing that I absolutely refuse to compromise is getting a minimum of a solid 8 hours of sleep every night. Seems like a lot of people don't do this these days.
I think probably most people who don't get 8 hours would if they could. I know I would if I could :( Sick kids, barking and/or puking dogs, puppies with small bladders and naturally being a light sleeper make it pretty tough.

tpreitzel
03-04-2009, 02:10 PM

Fries for deep fried brains ... ;) For example, it's been well known for more than 30 years that taking large doses of Vitamin C in the initial stages (before symptoms appear) of the flu and common cold, e.g. tired and cranky, will nix the progression of the disease. Today, a lot of my neighbors have been sick for days, and I just had some minor stomach discomfort for about 12 hours with no other symptoms. I've told this information to many people, but they continue to ignore it at their peril. Let 'em suffer for their foolish irresponsibility. Indoctrination has a lot to do with this issue. The masses can't think critically at all, because critical judgment requires knowledge of people and their behavior in any given context. Indoctrination comes in the form of an elaborate context. The theory of evolution is an example. Manipulators create a massive context for information that they want recalled whether the information is true or not. Discrete bits of information are rapidly forgotten since the masses don't spend the time or apply knowledge of human behavior to evaluate the information in a larger context. Fact: Humans are easily deceived and intentionally lie. Consequently, I inform them by creating a context for the information, but don't press the issue. They'll learn or suffer.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
03-04-2009, 03:06 PM

Once again, Descartes once commented how most of the people who complemented his work didn't understand it.
In other words, people are never as smart as they lead people to believe.

tremendoustie
03-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Yes. They're also outbreeding us. The Idiocracy is coming.

Coming? WTH do we have now?

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
03-04-2009, 03:54 PM
Coming? WTH do we have now?

But you aren't smart in that you aren't using your mind. You are using your thumb. You are sporting that we are fine and you are fine while they are crap.

malkusm
03-04-2009, 03:54 PM
I have a really, really, really bad memory. You guys make it sound like I must be a worthless human being!

To be honest, I'm usually chin-deep in my own thoughts. I'm the type of person that walks around and people say my name as they are walking past me, and it doesn't register until after I've nearly walked past them. I'm just in my own zone. Happens a lot when people tell me things, too - I zone out a lot and just think.

Mini-Me
03-04-2009, 09:36 PM
i have a really, really, really bad memory. You guys make it sound like i must be a worthless human being!

To be honest, i'm usually chin-deep in my own thoughts. I'm the type of person that walks around and people say my name as they are walking past me, and it doesn't register until after i've nearly walked past them. I'm just in my own zone. Happens a lot when people tell me things, too - i zone out a lot and just think.

Hrrm...INTJ / INTP? ;)

Kludge
03-05-2009, 04:47 AM
Hrrm...INTJ / INTP? ;)

IIRC, something like 2/3 of this forum is.

Mini-Me
03-05-2009, 04:52 AM
IIRC, something like 2/3 of this forum is.

Actually, I was wondering the same thing when I posted the question! :) It does seem to make sense for libertarianism to be strongly correlated with those personality types. Was there a poll? (For all I know, there probably was a poll, and I probably voted in it, which brings me right back to the subject of this thread: Memory problems. ;))

EDIT: Ah, I see there was a poll: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=151918 :D

EDIT 2: Unfortunately, I think anyone interested in exterminating us might be very interested in this information. :eek:

Kludge
03-05-2009, 04:54 AM
Actually, I was wondering the same thing when I posted the question! :) It does seem to make sense for libertarianism to be strongly correlated with those personality types. Was there a poll? (For all I know, there probably was a poll, and I probably voted in it, which brings me right back to the subject of this thread: Memory problems. ;))

Old Poll -- sample size = 431 (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=114134)

Newer Poll -- sample size = 52 (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=151918)

Was closer to 50% INTx

Mini-Me
03-05-2009, 05:15 AM
Old Poll -- sample size = 431 (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=114134)

Newer Poll -- sample size = 52 (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=151918)

Was closer to 50% INTx

Yeah...that still illustrates an unusually strong correlation between Ron Paul supporters (or at least the RPF-goers) and two pretty rare personality types. The correlation makes a lot of sense, but as I just mentioned when I edited my previous post a couple minutes ago, "Unfortunately, I think anyone interested in exterminating us might be very interested in this information. :eek:"

It's still cool to know, though. I feel even more at home here than I did a few minutes ago. Reading one of the threads, it turns out I was right about malkusm, too. :D

tremendoustie
03-05-2009, 05:41 AM
But you aren't smart in that you aren't using your mind. You are using your thumb. You are sporting that we are fine and you are fine while they are crap.

Reason
03-07-2009, 05:32 PM
I personally love personality tests because I have never taken one that didn't tell me something that made me feel awesome. For example all the in depth psychological ones in college I took told me I think like Stephen Hawking and have the potential to be a great leader etc...

I felt kinda bad when a friend would get shitty conclusions tho lol... I remember one guy was told that he would best fit in a construction job and should never try to lead anyone... ><

Kludge
03-07-2009, 05:35 PM
I personally love personality tests because I have never taken one that didn't tell me something that made me feel awesome. For example all the in depth psychological ones in college I took told me I think like Stephen Hawking and have the potential to be a great leader etc...

I felt kinda bad when a friend would get shitty conclusions tho lol... I remember one guy was told that he would best fit in a construction job and should never try to lead anyone... ><

We were forced to take a career pathways exam in high school a few years back.

I should either be a venture capitalist or a sprinkler system installer.

Reason
03-09-2009, 03:55 AM

Why you gotta be pooping at muh partay? :p

angelatc
03-09-2009, 05:25 AM

I wouldn't mind having a sprinkler system in my garden. Just saying'.....

WarDog
03-09-2009, 05:37 AM
There is so much coming at all of us that I think we just cant absorb it all