PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Beck: Time to Legalize Marijuana

Chase
03-02-2009, 09:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1rm8Hl4zxk

A reasonable discussion, surprising to see it on FOX.

ClayTrainor
03-02-2009, 09:52 PM
thanks for the link bro... cant wait to see this!

constituent
03-02-2009, 09:52 PM
"We have to make a choice in this country. We either put people who are smoking marijuana behind bars or we legalize it."

"Mexico City is a different city from the last time I went there... and it's because of drug consumption."

Yea, he's really comin' along...

constituent
03-02-2009, 10:33 PM
bump, the rampant stupidity that has taken hold here lately is for the lose.

this also seems like a good opportunity to note that a common thread amongst his promoters (same for santelli) is their admitted "former neo-con" [alleged to be] "pasts."

constituent
03-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Glenn Beck is a tool, resist the urge to be one too!

Bruno
03-02-2009, 10:40 PM

The cause is greater than the person supporting it

constituent
03-02-2009, 10:41 PM
The cause is greater than the person supporting it

"The" cause, eh?

fr33domfightr
03-02-2009, 11:17 PM
"The" cause, eh?

??

The "cause" of FREEDOM.

FF

Indy4Chng
03-02-2009, 11:43 PM
Name the last time someone discussed this subject on TV objectively... it was a pretty fair conversation... get over you hatred for GB from late 2007... he is on freedom's side.

He Who Pawns
03-03-2009, 12:17 AM
Well, Beck is taking another step on the road to enlightenment. I applaud him for that.

nelsonwinters
03-03-2009, 03:44 AM
""Mexico City is a different city from the last time I went there... and it's because of drug consumption."

It sounded like he meant consumption in Mexico, but I think he meant consumption in the U.S. which is causing a lot of the problems in Mexico.

malkusm
03-03-2009, 07:31 AM

And, like a tool, he can be used to do a lot of good things.

Bruno
03-03-2009, 07:31 AM
"The" cause, eh?

"The" meaning "Insert Cause". An issue is always bigger than one person supporting it.

Is the issue of marijuana legalization bigger than Glenn Beck who just recently came on board (kinda)? Yes.

Is the issue of the 2nd amendment bigger than a spokesperson for the NRA? Yes.

Is the issue of freedom bigger than Ron Paul? Yes.

malkusm
03-03-2009, 07:36 AM
"The" meaning "Insert Cause". An issue is always bigger than one person supporting it.

Is the issue of marijuana legalization bigger than Glenn Beck who just recently came on board (kinda)? Yes.

Is the issue of freedom bigger than Ron Paul? Yes.

+1

There are those who are quick to jump on a person who made any sort of mistake, no matter how long ago and no matter how much right they do to atone for their pasts. Everyone who goes to prison shouldn't stay there forever, and people do change. I welcome anyone who spreads a message of freedom, and urge them to continue doing so. That doesn't involve compromising your own principles one bit.

Bobster
03-03-2009, 08:17 AM
If only Beck would come around regarding his views on Foreign Policy.

However, I agree, at least someone mainstream with good ratings and popularity is talking about most of the issues that we are.

sevin
03-03-2009, 08:23 AM
I don't get this. A week ago Beck was making fun of this idea. What a tool.

Mahkato
03-03-2009, 08:27 AM

If Ron Paul would have been quieter about his views on foreign policy, he would have been much more palatable to many, many Republicans.

Scribbler de Stebbing
03-03-2009, 08:31 AM

With a Democrat now executing the same foreign policy, Republicans no longer talk much about it, and will start rejecting it as some point, just as they did when Clinton was in power. So watch for Beck to start changing his tune on that too.

constituent
03-03-2009, 08:44 AM
??

The "cause" of FREEDOM.

FF

You can take that nebulous bullshit elsewhere, ain't buyin' it.

Which freedom? Which cause?

Leave your slogans at the door.

constituent
03-03-2009, 08:45 AM
An issue is always bigger than one person supporting it.

Now you're talking like a communist.

If you don't understand that the individual is the "end all be all," then I don't think you're capable (perhaps that's the wrong word... let's try "ready" instead) of having this discussion.

Enjoy the show!

constituent
03-03-2009, 08:46 AM
+1

There are those who are quick to jump on a person who made any sort of mistake, no matter how long ago and no matter how much right they do to atone for their pasts.

He setup a false choice and primarily came down on the side of "enforcing the law," it's the same Glenn Beck bullshit it's always been.

What "right" has he done to "atone" for anything? A little demagoguery?

Doesn't cut the butter.

(afaik, this clip was recent no less... so much for your "no matter how long ago" garbage)

The only thing that has changed, you're just a bigger sucker now.

Bitter pill, I know.

Elwar
03-03-2009, 08:48 AM

Supporting Glenn Beck as a supporter of freedom is similar to how people think that the NRA supports the 2nd amendment.

constituent
03-03-2009, 08:50 AM
Supporting Glenn Beck as a supporter of freedom is similar to how people think that the NRA supports the 2nd amendment.

Indeed, wise observation.

constituent
03-03-2009, 08:53 AM
It sounded like he meant consumption in Mexico, but I think he meant consumption in the U.S. which is causing a lot of the problems in Mexico.

wow, you just hit the essence of Glenn Beck's warped thinking. Drug consumption is not causing problems in Mexico, drug prohibition is.

you see how the spin and agenda work now?

He speaks out of both sides of his mouth, and you people come here to echo only the side you've heard.

It's utterly depressing, and only bolsters my thesis that there is no "the" agenda, no "we, us, our ________" no, "the" movement, no "the" message.

Of course, there are only a few still pushing that non-sense around here anymore, they're usually also pushing G.B., Rick Santelli, M. Malkin, et. al, "some" freedom for "some" people, militarizing the border, class warfare ("the losers"). you know, typical neo-con agit-prop (but of course, they've "changed" too, just like G.B.! --you know who you are-- )

The astroturfers. (freshly minted phrase)

RevolutionSD
03-03-2009, 08:53 AM
If Ron Paul would have been quieter about his views on foreign policy, he would have been much more palatable to many, many Republicans.

And what good would that do?

The war is the biggest issue. The war represents the collectivism we live under. I wish RP was even more vocal about his opposition to the war, and ALL wars for that matter.

malkusm
03-03-2009, 10:08 AM
He setup a false choice and primarily came down on the side of "enforcing the law," it's the same Glenn Beck bullshit it's always been.

What "right" has he done to "atone" for anything? A little demagoguery?

Doesn't cut the butter.

(afaik, this clip was recent no less... so much for your "no matter how long ago" garbage)

The only thing that has changed, you're just a bigger sucker now.

Bitter pill, I know.

What other figure on a major news network is questioning the legitimacy of the federal reserve, or even having conversations about drug policy? Again, I agreed with you that he's a tool, and like a shovel, he can be used to sow some seeds in the minds of people who haven't even heard these arguments yet, much less support them.

I'm not saying he should run for Congress or anything. You seem resentful to anyone who contributes because they are not pure enough; so don't listen to him. I'm glad he's talking about things and opening lines of discussion to a new audience.

constituent
03-03-2009, 10:20 AM
What other figure on a major news network is questioning the legitimacy of the federal reserve, or even having conversations about drug policy?

MSNBC, CNBC, CNN and Anderson Cooper to name a few.

Again, I agreed with you that he's a tool, and like a shovel, he can be used...

You have failed to properly judge the pressure gradient here. You're a smart guy and might benefit from reconsidering your tactics.

I'm not saying he should run for Congress or anything. You seem resentful to anyone who contributes because they are not pure enough; so don't listen to him.

This is a pressure gradient issue here as well. Just consider what i've said, "hear me out" so to speak, and the picture will clear itself up for me.

I'm glad he's talking about things and opening lines of discussion to a new audience.

It is best not to allow your discussion to be established, directed and coordinated via television. Beck, et. al. seek only to articulate one end of the dialectic, don't take the bait.

Consider studying propaganda methods/techniques, as well as how they relate to advertising, commercial media, etc. (there is only a ton of information out there, and it is right at your fingertips), I believe you will benefit.

However, it is as they say:

If you give a man a fish, you have fed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish, and you have fed him for a lifetime.

Which is why I am done holding people's hands through this anymore, (you) need to wake up. This has been articulated and spelled out time and again on this forum, there are no longer excuses for eating the excrement they're selling.

Spreading the disease, even worse.

If you can watch that glenn beck clip, and not see what is going on then... well, it doesn't bode well for the future, and I'll leave it at that.

malkusm
03-03-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm well aware of the "propaganda methods/techniques" used in mainstream media. I don't think people who are ignorant that the country faces will learn the truth through the rose-colored glasses of a television.

However - is it easier to explain the ills of the Federal Reserve to someone who has no clue what they do and what their purposes are (even if they just understand the "noble" Keynesian purposes), or to explain them to someone who thinks fiat money falls from the sky? Or, in your analogy, is it easier to teach a man to fish if he doesn't know what one is, or after you give him one?

There is inherent value in mainstream media "tools" who, by subtly spreading disinformation, unknowingly plant a seed, an understanding of what is going on, if nothing else. Glenn Beck and others are scrap metal, and I'm more than happy to melt it down to extract the gold.

AdamT
03-03-2009, 10:41 AM
The MSM has zero, I repeat zero credibility in my eyes. They lie about everything constantly, and don't report on real issues. Beck is on neocon Faux. While I like his "change of heart" I will remain suspicious. If McCain had won the election I'm sure we'd be hearing a much different tune from Beck right now.

That being said I know we need the MSM for the simple reason it's the god of information to a dumbed down public. So at the very least perhaps Beck's sudden truth telling might spark something in the general population.

constituent
03-03-2009, 10:45 AM
There is inherent value in mainstream media "tools" who, by subtly spreading disinformation, unknowingly plant a seed, an understanding of what is going on, if nothing else. Glenn Beck and others are scrap metal, and I'm more than happy to melt it down to extract the gold.

Sorry bud, that's not how it works, you need to do some learning. That's ok, but there is no "unknowing"about it, and you can take that to the bank.

Also, this is important, and you need to consider it carefully:

I'm well aware of the "propaganda methods/techniques" used in mainstream media.

Show me where I mentioned the "mainstream media."

constituent
03-03-2009, 10:47 AM
That being said I know we need the MSM for the simple reason it's the god of information to a dumbed down public. So at the very least perhaps Beck's sudden truth telling might spark something in the general population.

I have yet to see him present anything but skewed truths and half-truths at best. The clip in the OP only proves this fact once more. It really is shameful that so few can see it.

MRoCkEd
03-03-2009, 10:55 AM
He's making progress...

Brian4Liberty
03-03-2009, 12:44 PM
Proof that marijuana has side effects (on vocabulary). ;)

Warning: massive profanity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOZnRUZKf48