PDA

View Full Version : High Schools teaching information smoke screen

djputnik
03-02-2009, 02:33 PM
Here's a thought I had recently:

Back in the mid 90's, during my freshmen year in High School, I took a debate class. The topic of debate that year was whether or not Universal Healthcare worked on a national scale(mainly citing canada as the model). We were pointed towards many differing opinions, articles and facts both for and against and were told to pick a position and defend it. Then, halfway through the term, we were forced to switch our position and defend the opposing view. I understand that debate club is just training for future lawyers who need that skill in court. (or talking head pundits who need that skill to berate a subject into the nether regions of societal consciousness.) However, what was never brought up was the lack of actually ANSWERING the question...not just debating both sides. What benefit do youth gain from flip flopping over a topic without truly believing in one answer over another? Luckily, i dropped the class the following term and thereby scarcely avoided becoming a lawyer or TV nitwit. Does anyone else have stories like this from their youth? I almost want to go back to those teachers and shake my fist at them and yell "what we're you thinking? What about reasoning towards a decision? What about the Fed? What about the negative effects of the New Deal? etc. etc. etc. I thought my education was fairly well rounded and encompassing until I began to think for myself and learn from those who don't make a business out of education. I hope I'm not the only one who feels this way.

dannno
03-02-2009, 02:41 PM
I think taking on both sides of the issue is rather enlightening, but I agree that there seemed to be a huge smokescreen between the truth and what is usually debated.

Luckily my smartest friend growing up had an even smarter father who was libertarian, so I had some good exposure to those ideas but I couldn't quite put them into context until I spent some time in the Green Party in college. Coming back to libertarianism with the Ron Paul campaign really helped me to question each of his positions. After researching and finding out Ron Paul's reasonings for each of his positions I was able to come to the conclusion that he is pretty much spot on about everything because his decisions revolve around a very principled philosophy.

Unfortunately it is easy to say that freedom doesn't work and we need the government to go around and fix things, and so the media and educational institutions are very good at muddying the waters in these areas.

misterx
03-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Consider yourself lucky. It shouldn't be up to the teacher to draw conclusions for you. The students should figure out where they stand after debating both sides. Most teachers either don't give any voice to the conservative side, or they explain afterwards why it is wro.ng What you are calling foq isn't teaching, it's indoctrination.