PDA

View Full Version : Subtitles needed for deaf and hard of hearing

KramerDSP
09-15-2007, 09:51 AM
Hi,

I am a deaf Ron Paul supporter who has been following him closely for a few months. I am writing because I believe that I can help get more votes for Ron Paul through the deaf and hard of hearing communities across the United States.

Right now, most of the Ron Paul content is coming through the internet in the form of youtube videos. Many of them are wonderful, but unfortunately, I have no idea what's being said on them as I am watching them, and the subtitled quotes from famous people are usually the only thing of substance I and other deaf and hard of hearing viewers can gain from watching those videos.

I am calling out for help to anybody who would be able to subtitle "Stop Dreaming", "Don't Tread On Me", and one of Ron Paul s best speeches. If someone could do that, I would be able to find ways to get this information spreading like wildfire through those communities, simply because of the accessibility factor Dr. Paul brings as opposed to the other candidates out there. When I say accessibility, I mean in the form of unrestricted access to videos on his site and in the form of his most popular videos on youtube.

The majority of deaf and hard of hearing users do not rely on youtube for information, as it has not truly been accessible to us yet. We love technology for the freedoms it has given us, in the form of sidekicks and videophones, but the youtube and podcast generation simply has not been accessible as of yet. Having some way of improving accessibility in the form of subtitles would really serve as a very, very good first impression for those people, and thats before they watch the excellent videos and become inspired themselves.

Any questions, feel free to ask. Thanks!

Dan

Omnis
09-15-2007, 10:07 AM
I would add subtitles if I could get the original movie files of the youtube videos.

KramerDSP
09-15-2007, 11:23 AM
Thanks so much. Is there a way to contact Aravoth directly ? Or the RP campaign person responsible for the creation of the speeches he does ? I only really need the two key RP youtube videos, stop dreaming and dont tread on me, to be subtitled, but I am not sure which speech of his was the best thus far (Iowa, or another one ?). I am looking for videos that are all en-compassing rather than focusing on one specific issue. This would really help me get the ball rolling in terms of putting up advertising on deaf blogs and having it link directly to subtitled videos, along with getting prominent deaf bloggers to note that the RP campaign has become the first to become more deaf-friendly. Any help here in terms of getting the original videos to Omnis would be wonderful.

KramerDSP
09-15-2007, 11:34 AM
I just contacted Aravoth through his youtube account and gave him a heads up. Hopefully we will hear from him soon. Meanwhile, does anyone reading this have any great videos of which they have original files ?I'd be happy to help in any way I could.

KramerDSP
09-15-2007, 11:46 AM
Here's an example of a few youtube subtitled films:

"World Trade Center" trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYk1GztXM6s

"Transformers" Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOyUudyQMWo

You can see examples of others if you search "english subtitles".

KramerDSP
09-15-2007, 03:07 PM
"When in the Course of Human Events " seems like the most encompassing, and would be another great video, in my mind.

KramerDSP
09-23-2007, 08:10 AM
I just saw the video of the Chicago rally, and was floored to see a sign language interpreter next to Ron Paul. Does anyone know how this came to be ?

I would love for a way to get this on youtube, so that the videobox could be expanded to full size, allowing people to see the interpreter.

I'm probably more happy by the fact that there are other deaf people out there very enthusiastic about Ron Paul who got the interpreter request put in place prior to the Rally. Hopefully someone could help with getting it onto youtube, so that the size of the window can be made full size for easier viewing of the interpreter.

Kudos to the Paul campaign for taking steps to ensure accessibility.

angelatc
09-23-2007, 08:16 AM
Wouldn't the video do better posted on Google video? They don't seem to have a ten minute time limit.

Corydoras
09-23-2007, 08:28 AM
Did Aravoth get in touch with you yet? He's on this forum, too, as Aravoth.

KramerDSP
09-23-2007, 09:42 AM
I checked my e mail, and Aravoth has yet to respond. I really don't blame him, as he seems to be very involved with the campaign and may be working on a few projects already.

I was just hoping for one video that I could show to other deaf people, and now the Chicago rally has an interpreted speech, which is even better for parts of that population. Google video does seem like it would make the most sense, due to not having time limits.

bbachtung
09-23-2007, 01:15 PM
Welcome, Kramer. Thanks for thinking of better ways to get the Ron Paul message out to everyone. I know how inspiring the aravoth videos are, and I couldn't imagine not being able to get the full message. Aravoth, I love all you are doing, and beg you to subtitle your videos.

Thanks again, Kramer, and welcome to the rEVOLution.

KramerDSP
09-23-2007, 03:21 PM
No problem! It's good to be here. I usually jump back and forth between this forum and the facebook RP forum. I haven't had much luck, and time is running out, but the Chicago Rally video with the sign language interpreter is GOLD, and all that needs to happen is for that to end up on Google so that it can be viewed clearly. One or two of the best youtube videos out there being subtitled would not hurt either! Thanks for any support you can provide.

archemeedees
09-23-2007, 04:00 PM
This video has a very short clip towards the beginning of a woman in a white shirt saying in sign language that she LOVES Ron Paul.

http://s911.blinxproductions.com/index.htm

It's not a lengthy message but it's something.

It would be awesome if we could get some web videos out there in sign language or get them subtitled. I have to confess that I'm surprised that YouTube hasn't exploded with ASL videos of all kinds. Maybe you could start something;)

KramerDSP
09-23-2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the clip!

Actually, youtube is filled with ASL videos. The videophone is essentially a real-time extension of youtube videos. All you have to do is google "ASL videos" and there you go. To point you to the absolute best out there, go to this one, "Deaf Ninja", which comes highly recommendedL

http://youtube.com/watch?v=L91KVUXRBq8

It's one of the purest ASL video out there right now, and is hilarious to boot.

I suggest anyone who is interested to watch the link FIRST, and then read my translation of it in the next pargraph, and then rewatch it. By the way, the guy in the video? He's hearing, and has a deaf brother. The brother even said to him once "Man, how is that you sign better than me?!?" LOL

Here's the translation:

"Hi, I've always had a tendency to daydream in the midst of what is happening in the real world in front of me. That's just me, I guess. Let me give you an example of such a tendency of mine.

"I am now recalling a time when I was much younger, and my older brother, who was deaf, was wearing one of those big-ass hearing aids that you had to strap onto your chest and plug wires with earmolds into your ears. He looked quite funny to be honest with you.

"I looked at him, and started laughing at him. My brother, as is his propensity, decided to unplug his ear molds and whip them out in a nunchuk fashion at me. I would then recoil in terror from the ear molds of doom. This happened quite a lot during our childhood.

"During one of those particular instances where he was attacking me with his wired ear molds, kung fu style, I began to daydream of something, and dissapeared into my daydream.

"'Deaf Ninja'. In the darkness, the twilight of the moon was shining brightly, and the clouds were covering it on and off. The atmosphere was full of fog, creating an eerie and mysterious aura.

"There he stood! A man dressed in black with only his eyes exposed, which consisted of an icy glare. The black ninja! And in prominent view is his shining big-old ass hearing aid (describes the hearing aid as all roided up and weapon-like).

"The ninja is in a defensive posture. He notices it is starting to rain. He turns his gaze left and notices a single raindrop falling. As it is falling, he turns his gaze right, and notices that there are enemies from both sides approaching fast at him.

"The enemies approaching are formiddable ones. The enemies are all roided to the gills. Some carried huge wooden kendo sticks that they grabbed from their backs. Others had knives that they used at a moment's notice. And there were yet others and others and others. All with one intention: to destroy the ninja.

"The ninja took it all in, and then in one instant motion, took out his wired hearing aid molds, leaped in the air, and then matrix style, turned side ways and used his legs to kick every one of the fast approaching enemies (the signer describes their heads popping back as their face gets kicked in by the ninja in a circular motion).

"The ninja then takes out his stainless steel wired earmolds and proceeds to again use a circular motion to go around all of his enemies (signer describes wire hitting enemy in head, and blood squirting out).

"As the ninja reaches the top of his peak from the jump, all of his enemies from all sides simultaneously fall down. The ninja lands, makes another steely gaze, and then whips his ear molds back into his ears in dramatic fashion.

"The ninja looks left again, and that single water drop he had observed at the beignning of the story is still falling, and he witnesses it dramatically splash to the ground. As it splashes, he realizes he cannot hear it splash, and says "my hearing aid! It's not working!

(EDITED TO ADD LAST PARAGRAPH)

The signer, Austin Andrews, then states "this was when I woke up to find my brother, wearing the big-ass old hearing aid, and saying that it was not working. Very bizarre!"

KramerDSP
09-23-2007, 04:46 PM
Yeah, the woman in the clip signed "Ron Paul ?... I LOVE him". Cool clip. Thanks again.

archemeedees
09-23-2007, 04:59 PM
LOL that ninja video is hilarious! Thanks! That was awesome. Now we need Ron Paul Sign Language Ninjas. haha. That's kind of a play on what my meetup group calls those who go place the Ron Paul signs up on overpasses.

KramerDSP
09-23-2007, 06:05 PM
I can see it now: Ron Paul Ninja attacking Guiliani, Hannity, Hillary, and Fred in that order with those big-ass old hearing aids!

KramerDSP
09-23-2007, 06:41 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5469556186862908128&q=ron+paul+in+chicago&total=56&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

This is the first I've seen that has the Chicago Rally, but it's a little shaky and not shot at a great angle. It's a start, though.

KramerDSP
09-25-2007, 03:36 PM
I'll be honest here. I am getting frustrated. I have a potentially huge audience of voters in the Deaf and Hard of Hearing communities across the country, and no way of accessibility in terms of subtitled videos.

People have already volunteered their services to subtitle the films on youtube. All I need is the master copy in order to get these films subtitled, or suggestions on how to get this done.

There was a sign language interpreter next to Ron Paul at the Chicago Rally. The only video out there that consistently focuses on both RP and the interpreter is on Justin Tv, but it cannot be resized, therefore you cannot see the interpreter clearly enough to derive any benefit.

All of the youtube videos out there about the chicago rally do not focus on the interpreter enough, and intentionally or unintentionally, try to crop the interpreter out so that they can se Ron Paul ALONE in the screen.

I ve been asking for help for a long time, not just here, but on facebook too. This thread alone has had at least a hundred views, and I feel like I am still at square one.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

Time is running out!

KramerDSP
09-25-2007, 04:07 PM
Just got this from HQ...

"Dan,

Thanks for the message. We are looking into other options to broadcast the rally. We are also looking into possibly adding closed caption to some of our videos. It may be a little while, but we hope to have something soon.

Thanks,
Jeff Frazee
National Youth Coordinator - Ron Paul 2008
jeff.frazee@ronpaul2008.co​m

"Our campaign is all about freedom, prosperity, and peace!" - Ron Paul"

Looks like the ball is rolling on this, which thrills me. I can afford some patience now, simply because it sounds like something is happening now.

angelatc
09-27-2007, 08:24 AM
Argh. If they would just torrent the original video, we could close caption it. Even I can do that.

Omnis
09-30-2007, 03:17 PM
I'm going to try something with a video decoder to grab videos off of youtube. If I can get that to work, I will start working on subs right away.

KramerDSP
10-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Just found this link. Hope it helps!

http://iplayall.wordpress.com/2007/08/16/how-to-add-subtitles-to-youtube-videos/

KramerDSP
10-01-2007, 07:14 PM
I'm gonna get started and get the grunt work done in terms of getting the videos I'd like up there. I'll post more information when I am done.

angelatc
10-02-2007, 09:05 AM
I'm going to try something with a video decoder to grab videos off of youtube. If I can get that to work, I will start working on subs right away.

I can get the video off of You tube, but it looks crappy after it's been re-recorded and re-uploaded.

I'd welcome any thoughts on that.

angelatc
10-02-2007, 09:09 AM
Kramer, is there a decent video that would show an example of how to add the captions?

RIght now, I'm thinking of a video where a member of the crowd shouts out an important comment, or an off-camera person makes a remark.

Just adding the words wouldn't show the viewer where that statement came from.

If I turn on the captions on my TV, will that tell me what I need to know?

kylejack
10-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Kramer, is there a decent video that would show an example of how to add the captions?

RIght now, I'm thinking of a video where a member of the crowd shouts out an important comment, or an off-camera person makes a remark.

Usually something in italics says who's saying it with a note that they're off-screen. If you know who's saying it, use that person's name.

For example:

"Paul: They attack us because we've been over there!
We've been bombing Iraq for ten years!
Giuliani (off-screen): Wendell, may I make a comment?"

KramerDSP
10-02-2007, 02:27 PM
People, from the bottom of my heart, I thank you.

I am in the process of getting the third video onto this site:

http://dotsub.com/

All you have to do is register. Then search for

"When in the course of human events" (already uploaded)

"Stop Dreaming" (already uploaded)

"Don't Tread On Me" (uploading as I type this, and will be done momentarily. I will update you on this)

I am also going to upload one or two of his speeches. That will then give us five videos to subtitle.

The site has a demo to help you guys out. This link also would help you guys out.

http://iplayall.wordpress.com/2007/08/16/how-to-add-subtitles-to-youtube-videos/

If the link does not work, google "play all wordpress subtitles" and you should find it. It seems to have a good explanation, but I do feel the process is time consuming. I am very grateful for all of your responses. I mean it.

I have two guys on facebook who have seemingly committed to subtitling "When in the course of human events" and "Stop Dreaming". I need a volunteer to subtitle "Don't tread on me" and I need 2 more volunteers, one for each of the two additional videos that I am going to post onto the site where subtitling can occur.

More updates to come.

(and dont worry about video quality. One could easily have two windows, one with the superior quality video, and one with the subtitled video, and they'd be OK. This is the least of my worries, really)

KramerDSP
10-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Response to an earlier post:

The guy who said Italics are the way to go was correct. Italics are usually used when someone is off screen, although captioning technology tends to have left of center captions and right of center captions when two people are engaged in dialogue and both are on the screen.

When a phone rings, it tends to be (Phone Ringing). If people are going gonzo over Ron Paul in the audience, it might be best to say (Ron Paul! Ron Paul! - Audience) or something like that.

In terms of music, one could even write (snappy music playing) or (somber music playing). Any little bit helps.

The key is to remember this. Right now, the only benefit I derive from these WONDERFUL videos is the quotes by famous people (don't subtitle this part, as it is already "texted" on the screen). With your efforts and hard work, I will now get 95 to 99 percent of the message. Please do not worry about perfection. Just do the best you can to convey how you hear the environmental sounds and so forth. Anything would be an improvement over what is currently in place.

KramerDSP
10-02-2007, 02:33 PM

Angelatc, there is a demo on the link I posted two threads ago, and ironically enough, it is a demo on the United Nations, Ron Paul's mortal enemy. LOL! That would be a good start for practice.

The way I see it working is people need to transcribe the video first, and then it seems to be a piece of cake from there, although I must confess it does seem to be a little tricky from first glance.

KramerDSP
10-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Just finished uploading the avi file of "Don't Tread On Me"

To review (and to prevent overlapping or redundant work):

The videos can be found at:

http://dotsub.com/

You would have to register, and then search for the title of the videos I am going to mention below, and you should find them easily through the search function on the site.

A guide can be found here:

"Stop Dreaming" - I am awaiting confirmation from a facebook user that he will work on this one

"When In the Course of Human Events" - I may need a volunteer, depending on confirmation from another facebook user

"Don't Tread on me" - I need a volunteer to subtitle this video

I am now working on two more videos to find. Speeches that are less than five to ten minutes in length are what I am looking for, and I will upload them to the site again and then update you all here in this thread.

Omnis
10-02-2007, 08:23 PM
I will do "Don't Tread On Me." I will finish it by tomorrow.

KramerDSP
10-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Very cool. But, if you can't get it done by tomorrow for whatever reason, don't worry about it.

I uploaded two other videos that ran no longer than five minutes each.

"Ron Paul Addresses Banking Hearing on Moral Hazard"

"Ron Paul versus Morton Downey Jr.'s Audience".

(I know, I know... but I've been dying to see the dialogue LOL)

Omnis
10-03-2007, 07:39 AM
Okay, "Don't Tread On Me" is finished. I don't know how to finalize the subtitles into the video, though. I think the original uploader has to set it as a permanent subtitle track or something. You can watch them right now by watching the video and clicking the arrows toward the bottom right of the video player until you see English [In Progress].

Enjoy.

lara916
10-03-2007, 09:37 AM
Let me figure out how it all works and I will subtitle "Stop Dreaming," or "When in the course of Human events.." if work on one of them is still needed?

Let me know! Thanks, Lara

KramerDSP
10-03-2007, 04:07 PM
As far as I know, "When in the course" is done. "Don't tread on me" is done. "Stop Dreaming" is also being worked on as we speak by the guy who did "When in the course". Let me check the videos out first and then get back to you, alright ?

KramerDSP
10-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Seriously. You guys are AWESOME! I can't tell you how inspired I am by this. Complete strangers going out of their way to help those in need, and now I can return the favor by spreading it to my friends and co workers and having them be exposed to those WONDERFUL videos made by Aravoth and others.

For all that contributed, it really means a lot, from the bottom of my heart. I think this proves to me that the Free Market system Ron Paul talks about is demonstrated in full effect.

There are really only two videos left ("Ron Paul vs. Morton Downey s Audience" and "Ron Paul Addresses Banking Hearing on Moral Hazard". Would anyone be willing to tackle those two ?

I am now gonna work on getting them youtubed. I hope to have them up by tommorow, just in time as the 5 million dollar news came. I feel like the timing could not have been better. I am talking with DeafDC.com to find out about advertising space on their site and/or a blog on Dr. Paul and how the grassroots campaign has tried to increase accessibility in terms of this and in terms of the ASL interpreter at the Chicago rally. I should know more by tommorow.

Nefertiti
10-04-2007, 05:54 AM
Somebody should get Ron Paul's books to these people:

http://www.bookshare.org

If the campaign has doc files or something along those lines they can get it up faster.

I once worked for a blind man and his blind wife. They WERE voters-I helped them to fill out their absentee voter forms in the 1992 elections.

Omnis
10-04-2007, 07:09 AM
I'm doing the fed hearing.

edit: no pun intended, lol.

Omnis
10-04-2007, 08:23 AM
All done with the financial services committee hearing.

KramerDSP
10-04-2007, 01:34 PM
Great. I am still at work, and then watching game 2 of the phillies and rockies. From there, I will roll up my sleeves and get as much done as I can this evening.

KramerDSP
10-04-2007, 06:50 PM
I'm doing the fed hearing.

edit: no pun intended, lol.

I heard that!

: )

We have a video up on youtube thanks to Kylan from facebook.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnr1ryPjjb8

Kylan told me that the way dotsub was set up, one cannot keep the subtitles onto the video when transferring it back to the computer, so he did it through a different server.

I was able to post information in the comments section of the link to guide those who were interested in more directly to dotsub.com to view the videos there.

I just finished sending out the video to a lot of my friends and posted them on various "deaf-themed" facebook groups (I would think anywhere from 500 to 1,500 people will be viewing the video soon). Viral is viral, as a percentage of those, however small, will say "wow, this makes sense", and do more research. When they're convinced, they become a part of the ever-growing grassroots campaign and will be doing THEIR best to get the message out by spreading it to their friends.

I appreciate all the help you guys did. If anyone sees great videos on youtube that emerge in the upcoming days, and had time to transcribe them onto dotsub, that would be great. My instructions for those seeking more captioned videos on the site was to search "Ron Paul" once they registered, so if you can keep those tags there, all the better.

Now I am rolling up my sleeves for dozens of e-mails, videophone conversations, and what-have-you-nots that will surely be headed my way within the next 12 to 36 hours : ) I feel prepared, though, after three months of debating people on facebook and somewhat being a lurker around this site and gleaming all of the information I could get.

I do not think any other candidate has as informed a base of voters as the Paul campaign, because we've been on the defense for so long that we've HAD to think and formulate responses to arguments thrown our way. I know it's made me better, and I thank you all for keeping the stimulation going.

KramerDSP
10-04-2007, 07:07 PM
Somebody should get Ron Paul's books to these people:

http://www.bookshare.org

If the campaign has doc files or something along those lines they can get it up faster.

I once worked for a blind man and his blind wife. They WERE voters-I helped them to fill out their absentee voter forms in the 1992 elections.

Great idea. My problem is that I don't own a scanner. I do own Ron Paul's most recent book. What can I do to help ?

angelatc
10-05-2007, 02:10 PM
http://www.ronpaullibrary.org/books.php - Many of his books are available here.

angelatc
10-06-2007, 08:15 AM
Kramer, I see we both uploaded the same video - the Cafferty File. I already have a transcript ready to cut and paste.

I actually had the whole thing finished once, but somehow didn't save it right. I clicked "done" but when it played through there was a glaring important error. I went back end re-edited it, it played through, ok, so I hit "Done" again. Then I clicked to save it as the final transcript, which clearly states you can't edit it again.

BUt when I played the final version, it had somehow reverted to the version with the goof.

Anyway, I have a transcript, completely spell checked, times included, ready to add to mine, or I can send it to you .

I am now working on an hour long interview he did with a New Hampshire show called "Political Clam Chowder."

Ths is addicting! Maybe we should set up a group?

KramerDSP
10-06-2007, 08:35 AM
As always, I am grateful beyond belief. I am not sure how we would set up a group, as the way it seems to be working now is OK, but if you had any suggestions, I am more than willing to hear you out (another pun!)

Perhaps a website called Deaf4RonPaul.Com where all the videos could be embedded onto that page?

I youtube searched "Deaf Ron Paul" and TWO subtitled videos are there now, one from a guy I have likely not been in any communications with at all who did it on his/her own free volition.

KramerDSP
10-06-2007, 08:47 AM
Kramer, I see we both uploaded the same video - the Cafferty File. I already have a transcript ready to cut and paste.

I am now working on an hour long interview he did with a New Hampshire show called "Political Clam Chowder."

Ths is addicting! Maybe we should set up a group?

I went onto the site, and the "conversion" process for the Cafferty file has not been completed, so I am not sure what is happening there (I think it is a site issue).

angelatc
10-06-2007, 08:51 AM
This is great fun. No thanks necessary.

I hesitate to give my videos open access to transcribe, because I fear trolls. I think if we set up a group, we could allow access to people that we trust to edit the video.

I'd be mad if I spent 8 hours working on a video, then somebody came in and erased everything I had done so far. :)

It looks like the site is having a spot of trouble today. I cna't log on, and my upload from last night is still pending.

KramerDSP
10-06-2007, 08:58 AM
I agree with you. I have had this concern too. Is there a way to select a feature that allows ONLY you to transcribe the film ? I think there is, and that is done during the part where videos are uploaded. Just to give you a heads up on what another guy told me about how one could get the videos on youtube, as an FYI. The tags I ve seen used for youtube have been deaf, asl, subtitles, captions, ron paul, gallaudet, ntid, rit, csun, freedom, liberty, and so forth. They would be useful in pulling that audience towards the films.

-------------------------

This is what Kylan posted on facebook:

"You're not going to like this but from the looks of things the only way you can rip the video off the site is as a *.flv (flash video) file and for some reason it doesn't bring the subtitles with it. I'll see if I can't figure some other way to do it but it's not looking too good. Might be better to just have the hearing impaired go to that specific site (dobsub) instead of YouTube (would they even go to YouTube anyway?).

Yeah looks like only way to get them to YouTube is to do them over with ffdshow or vobsub which will put the subtitles/captions *directly* onto the file. dotSUB is not using the normal *.sub files to play the subtitles.

I'd recommend doing either a.) email the person running the website and ask if there's any way around this, b.) just giving the hearing impaired the links to dotSUB, or c.) start adding permanent subtitles as a *.sub file using the programs above.

Download and install this:
http://www.softpedia.com/g​et/Multimedia/Video/Other-​VIDEO-Tools/Subtitle-Works​hop.shtml

Install and Run it. Go to "File" then "New Subtitle" and start working on it. Press "insert" to add a new line. It's best to view transcript from the dotsub sight and just copy and paste into the program. Once you're done then save it as a "SubSonic" file (*.sub) and email it to me at fatrb38@gmail.com and then I'll put it onto the right video and upload it.

Sorry for the hassle but dotSUB wasn't the easiest to work with.

PPS And also I was wrong when I said to save them as *.sub, it's better as *.srt which is the "SubRip" option when saving in the "Subtitle Workshop" program."

KramerDSP
10-06-2007, 12:10 PM
Great news, people! I just made my first blogsite ever, and actualy enjoyed it.

http://deafronpaul.blogspot.com/

Hope you all like it and will spread the word to others.

angelatc
10-06-2007, 02:00 PM
On dotsub, you can choose to limit acess in 3 ways. You can limit who sees it, who can transcribe it, and who can translate it.

If you choose "only certain users" then you can pick other people that are allowed to perform that function.

I have mine so anybody can view it, only I can transcribe it, but anybody can translate it.

We're all on the same page here - I already downloaded subtitle workshop this morning. I just have to figure out how to work it.

angelatc
10-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Google Video supports the *.srt format! I was able to upload my file to that site.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1122611558200233665&hl=en

Woot!

angelatc
10-06-2007, 05:13 PM
Kramer, this is a great project.. Thanks for grabbing the ball and running with it. I hope you don't mind, but I emailed "ronpaullibrary.com" to see if he can / will link to our videos too. That way, we can also send traffic to him - there's *tons* of policy papers to read there.

KramerDSP
10-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Great idea! No problems here! I just got back in, and will be checking your file now and transferring them to the blogsite.

angelatc
10-06-2007, 11:39 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6375128690924104800&hl=en - the 1988 interview.

OptionsTrader
10-07-2007, 01:55 AM
Just stumbled on this thread.

What great people we have in the Ron Paul community. Helping each other out.

I'd be willing to put some subtitles on a video of your choice KramerDSP, just let me know.

angelatc
10-07-2007, 09:19 AM
You could email the campaign and nag them to put their official video of the Chicago speech on Google. :) It had an ASL interpreter, but the Justin.tv footage can't be resized and it's too small to be useful.

Just stumbled on this thread.

What great people we have in the Ron Paul community. Helping each other out.

I'd be willing to put some subtitles on a video of your choice KramerDSP, just let me know.

It's addicting. There's something about reading and writing the words that really makes the messages sink in.

In the 1988 interview that I just finished, Paul discussed the fact that the Russians are bankrupting themselves with their empire building, especially by fighting a war they could not win in Afghanistan. It really chilled me

KramerDSP
10-07-2007, 11:07 AM
Hi, and welcome to new posters seeing this thread for the first time.

Angelatc, I have always been someone who remembers things best when I personally write them down, so I can understand exactly what you are talking about. Paul almost sounds like a "latter-day" prophet, as some have said, and the videos do such a good job of getting his message across.

I have a few friends who generally like Paul, but are very concerned about his stance on the seperation of church and state. I haven't viewed your link, but I will do that as soon as I can. If it does address the church and state issue, then we're OK, but if it does not, I am hoping there is something DEFINITIVE out there to help them understand clearly where Paul stands on this. I think I get the impression from them that they view him being more "evangeical" than Bush is, and Bush has a book out there calling him the "evangelical president". Hopefully there is a clear and concise video on this issue where he talks about it.

bbachtung
10-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Hi, and welcome to new posters seeing this thread for the first time.

Angelatc, I have always been someone who remembers things best when I personally write them down, so I can understand exactly what you are talking about. Paul almost sounds like a "latter-day" prophet, as some have said, and the videos do such a good job of getting his message across.

I have a few friends who generally like Paul, but are very concerned about his stance on the seperation of church and state. I haven't viewed your link, but I will do that as soon as I can. If it does address the church and state issue, then we're OK, but if it does not, I am hoping there is something DEFINITIVE out there to help them understand clearly where Paul stands on this. I think I get the impression from them that they view him being more "evangeical" than Bush is, and Bush has a book out there calling him the "evangelical president". Hopefully there is a clear and concise video on this issue where he talks about it.

RP's basic approach is that the First Amendment applies to limit the federal government (hence beginning "Congress shall make no law . . . ").

RP explains himself better than anyone:

http://www.ronpaullibrary.org/document.php?id=259

KramerDSP
10-07-2007, 01:53 PM
On a side note, here. I wanted to share a link to this site:

http://www.d-pan.com/index.html

It s a music video done by deaf performers to "Waiting for the world to change".

angelatc
10-07-2007, 02:33 PM
That's very cool. I"d like to see some ASL rappers doing "We need ROn Paul for the Long Haul."

On a side note, I put another plea out for the Chicago video here locally. There were 4 or 5 cameras square in the middle of the room recording the even from head on.

KramerDSP
10-07-2007, 09:23 PM
I was just checking the blogsite, and I noticed that some of the dotsub videos are now also being translated into German. Pretty soon there may be a bunch of them being translated to other languages, all available via toggling the bottom right hand side of the dotsub clips. Seems like not only the deaf and hoh communities, but the foriegn language communities will also benefit from this and learn a little about Dr. Paul.

KramerDSP
10-07-2007, 10:15 PM
Wish List:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH1qN4kAsMk (Dr. Paul talks to us about announcing himself as a presidential candidate, Fe. 19, 2007)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORdH2NouCbo (Nashville Rally, part 3 of ?, starts with Dr. Paul, and OH MY GOD is that a huge crowd :eek: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvrrPCkHKLw (Aravoth's join the revolution)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjH9PoDpATI (Ron Paul interview in 1987)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCM_wQy4YVg (1 hour Google Interview - Big project, and if no can do, no worries)

Any takers ?

KramerDSP
10-07-2007, 10:17 PM
This one is from one of the meet up organizers talking about how RP brings people together. The clip is less than 2 minutes long. Pretty much anything in the RP2008 collection would do, really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSh6kVT4UL0&mode=user&search=

lara916
10-09-2007, 09:29 AM
Okay, I was away for a few days and now ya'll are way ahead of me, if there is still anything that I can do let me know! My father only has 20% hearing and his mother is deaf, this is something that I feel strongly about and will do what I can to help. Email me directly though, I've had a hard time signing into a few websites recently and this has been one of them.

my email lara916 @ yahoo dot com

Ciao, Lara

angelatc
10-13-2007, 08:46 PM
SO much video, so little time.

I am working on the video in post #64, "HOw Ron Paul Brings Us Together". Can you keep your list updated so several of us don't end up working on the same projects? edited to add: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8468398811513284701&hl=en

KramerDSP
10-14-2007, 08:56 AM
The last thing I want to do is put any undue pressure on ANY of you. Only do what you can when you feel like you are up to it. I am in no hurry here, as the blog has been rapidly filling up with captioned videos from supporters everywhere. A few more have popped up, and here are some updates:

Thanks to Angelatc we have

*Ron Paul for the Long Haul
*Ron Paul brings us together

We also will shortly be done with the PBS Judy Woodruff Interviews (via Adam Weinberg on dotsub)

That is the update as far as I can tell right now.

Brilliant work, people. I am astounded by the way this has snowballed. I sent out a plea to ALL bloggers who post RP videos to take the time to subtitle them in the google video .srt function that Angelatc uses, because that both improves accessibility and allows hearing users to turn it off if they find the subtitles distracting. Hopefully, as this becomes more custom, there will be less need for people to subtitle videos that were already made.

KramerDSP
10-23-2007, 04:12 PM
Just wanted to give you all a heads up. I posted more information at my blog, http://deafronpaul.blogspot.com, but I just learned that there's an organization that has a site out there now with captioned videos. It looks like the site has been up for quite a while, but I never knew about it. Hillary and Obama videos are all over the front page, so I will try to get a bunch of good RP videos (there are already four of them up there) submitted to the site (http://www.projectreadon.com). I am also going to work on subtitling the videos posted, because the way project read on is set up, the captions are not embedded into the video. Since I have the transcript ready, I will be able to caption the videos and get those four up and embedded onto my site.

Just an FYI, and for any of you who have a direct link to the guy hosting the "BEST Ron Paul Youtube Video" contest, I would really appreciate it if there were some way that the video chosen could be subtitled before it is released to the general public. Either that, or giving us a heads up so that we can try to get it subtitled ourselves by the time the video is set for release to the online communities.

Thanks for hearing me out.

terryhamel
10-31-2007, 10:56 AM
Ron Paul in Seattle (2007-9-14) with embedded subtitles. 6 parts.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncV_0vpfBJs

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW7gzFitT0g

Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfAD3HtQDzk

Part 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egBL_grieVI

Or just go them all
http://www.youtube.com/terryhamel

angrydragon
10-31-2007, 11:52 AM
oops

angelatc
11-03-2007, 09:06 PM

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Or just go them all

Terry! That's awesome! How do you get the subtitles to imbed like that?

Also, here's the "thisnovember5th" video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3199712293147853545&hl=en - say thanks to Liv who let me copy it it to Google for the sake of captioning it.

KramerDSP
11-03-2007, 11:20 PM

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Or just go them all

Unbelievable. Very much appreciated! I just put it up on the blog, and this is essentially the first subtitled speech of Dr. Paul out there, so KUDOS to you!

http://deafronpaul.blogspot.com/2007/11/dr-paul-speaks-in-seattle-september-14.html

KramerDSP
11-03-2007, 11:41 PM
Terry! That's awesome! How do you get the subtitles to imbed like that?

Also, here's the "thisnovember5th" video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3199712293147853545&hl=en - say thanks to Liv who let me copy it it to Google for the sake of captioning it.

Angela, You never cease to amaze me :D And if you're reading this, Liv, thank you as well!

http://deafronpaul.blogspot.com/2007/11/remember-remember-fifth-of-november.html

KramerDSP
11-04-2007, 12:10 AM
Could someone do me a favor and go over to http://dotsub.com ? I posted "Ron Paul: A New Hope" on the site, and did about 75% of the work. I need someone to transcribe the other 25%, as I cannot find transcripts of those parts of the video. I can "follow the bounding ball" if I have transcripts, but am lost otherwise. The gaps where there need to be subtitles are from 0:57 - 1:37, 2:43 - 3:03, and 4:53 - 5:33.

If anyone is up to this, let me know when you are done with transcribing those parts of the film, and I will go ahead and mark it complete and put it up on the blog. Thanks!

Quite a few of my friends are very interested in RP and the message is slowly but surely spreading among the community. A few strangers have e-mailed me thanking me for having a site where subtitled videos could be viewed. I told them all the thanks goes to the volunteers subtitling them. This week will be crazy, with November 5 th, the Philly rally, and November 11 th. I can't wait!

Matt Collins
11-04-2007, 11:35 AM
Hey - since RP was an OB/GYN, we can take comfort in the fact that if he ever goes deaf, he knows how to read lips! :D

terryhamel
11-06-2007, 03:58 AM
Glad I could be of help. A while back, I read a complaint from a deaf person not being able to enjoy a Dr. Paul speech because there were no subtitles - their only recourse was to read his text. That stuck with me, so I did this. I'll have parts 5 and 6 online in the next day or two.

I embedded the subtitles using the native AVIsynth function "subtitle" and verified the results with Virtualdub. It takes 5 hours to transcribe and sync the text to the words per 7 minutes of speech.

-Terry

KramerDSP
11-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Glad I could be of help. A while back, I read a complaint from a deaf person not being able to enjoy a Dr. Paul speech because there were no subtitles - their only recourse was to read his text. That stuck with me, so I did this. I'll have parts 5 and 6 online in the next day or two.

I embedded the subtitles using the native AVIsynth function "subtitle" and verified the results with Virtualdub. It takes 5 hours to transcribe and sync the text to the words per 7 minutes of speech.

-Terry

I use http://dotsub.com to get mine out. One of the cool features is that after you transcribe a video, it can be translated into many different languages so that people all over the world can enjoy these videos in their native languages, and the freedom message continues to spread. I find that it ll take me about an hour to get a 6 to 7 minute video done. The work can be tedious, but like Angela said, the words stick in your head because you're typing them out. It becomes easier to quote him! :D

angelatc
11-06-2007, 11:43 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7830780798194373977&hl=en

The Tucker video from today. ANd it takes me about an hour to do 6 - 7 moinutes, but on bigger videos I get going better so the time goes down proportionally.

Plus, I think the software I use probably would make it easier if I know what I was doing. There's a plethora of buttoons I haven't figured out how to use.

deepdeaf
11-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Cool subtitled videos! I applaud to KramerDSP for encouraging subtitles and volunteers jumping in to help us out!

This thread showed enthusiasm in helping deaf community to get to know Ron Paul better! I applaud all of you contribute your times to script many videos as possible. It made me attracted to these subtitled videos and I even told my Deaf friends to watch these videos! That way it will spread word like wildfire!

KramerDSP
11-07-2007, 09:10 PM
Welcome to the forum, deepdeaf! It is great to have more folks around here, and I hope you will keep spreading the word to others. Slowly, but surely, we are seeing many RP converts, and all it takes is to learn a little bit about him and what he stands for.

terryhamel
11-07-2007, 11:52 PM
I've added parts 5 and 6 of 6 of the Seatte Rally speech.

Part 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvikda_WcYc

Part 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EppibDOVucc

angelatc
11-30-2007, 01:27 PM
Kyle, I seem to have lost my original ditsub password. If you can add "indyattic" to the list of users aho can transcribe your videos I'll try to make time. I'm volunteering in the official Ron Paul Illinois office, and now that the petition drive is about over I might have a little time between projects.

DeafPalmdale
12-03-2007, 10:24 AM
Hi,

I've been a lurker and I decided to sign up.

Anyway, I want to know if there is any captions/subtitles on "A New Hope" or "Stop Dreaming"? If not, could anyone work on those? Thanks!

archemeedees
12-03-2007, 10:28 AM
If someone could tell me how to do it, I'd love to add subtitles to the videos. I don't know how to, but I'd love to know.