PDA

View Full Version : Commodities: Where is JIM ROGERS investing now?

bobbyw24
03-02-2009, 05:36 AM
http://seekingalpha.com/article/123499-where-jim-rogers-marc-faber-and-doug-casey-investing-their-money-in-this-market?source=wl_sidebar

I always like to read and listen to veteran investors. Veterans are persons who have long experience or practice in an activity or capacity and these fellows have gone through booms and busts and normally know a trick or two about the markets.

Jim Rogers, the legendary investor, has been a frequent speaker on financial media over the last few weeks and is very bearish on the stocks market. Recently he said to an Indian TV Channel, “I have sold all my stocks everywhere in the world, except for some stocks in China. I bought some more stocks in China in October and in November but I am not buying shares anywhere in the world.”

Jim Rogers, a long term bull in commodities, is still expressing his bullish views, and told Maria Bartiromo this week regarding commodities, “I recently bought more of all of them. But I really think agriculture is going to be the best place to be.”

To the contrary, Marc Faber while skeptical and pessimistic on the economy is bullish for the stock market at least short term. Marc has told Bloomberg TV last Friday that “a countertrend rally could occur soon where stocks would suddenly rise quite substantially.”

Marc Faber sees opportunities elsewhere and recommends selling short Treasury Bonds and the Japanese Yen. Regarding gold, Marc says it is expensive relative to other commodities and stated that “I’m a little bit careful about the outlook for gold for the rest of the year.”

Doug Casey, the Chairman of Casey Research LLC known for his investment wisdom is very bullish on gold prices and terribly pessimistic on the economy. In a recent interview printed here on Seeking Alpha, Doug said “We’ve definitely entered what I describe as the Greater Depression. It’s not coming; it’s here.”

Regarding agriculture, Doug agrees with Jim Rogers stating that “I’m bullish on agricultural commodities. They ran way up last year and then collapsed again. I think a good case can be made that most of the soft commodities are quite cheap and will go higher.“

Casey likewise Faber, is bearish on Government Bonds and reaffirmed that “Government Bonds are perhaps the worst single thing to be in.” This is the point where they all agree. Consensus investing is dangerous, but this trade deserves a second thought.

MrNick
03-02-2009, 10:39 AM
I heard Jim say recently only in commodities. He looked more serious then usual.

ItsTime
03-02-2009, 10:41 AM
I think he said sugar was 80% off its high.

danberkeley
03-02-2009, 11:16 AM
I think he said sugar was 80% off its high.

all-time high.

mczerone
03-02-2009, 11:20 AM
So how does one individual take a modest amount and invest in commodities? Would I be better off placing a reserve at a local grain elevator, or going online to purchase some type of futures?

I'd like to move into commodities, but I've never been before - what are the tips of the trade?

ItsTime
03-02-2009, 11:26 AM
all-time high.

is there a difference?

danberkeley
03-02-2009, 11:38 AM
is there a difference?

Between its all-time high and recent high, yes.

bobbyw24
03-02-2009, 11:41 AM
instead of agricultural commodities

danberkeley
03-02-2009, 11:47 AM
instead of agricultural commodities

that's what DBA is.