PDA

View Full Version : Stocks: Futures Down 51 Points Already!

jclay2
03-01-2009, 05:14 PM
Futures for Monday have started trading again and right now the Dow is currently set up for a loss of 51 points. http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/stocks/futures.html

Primbs
03-01-2009, 05:23 PM
We might see Dow head to six thousand and below.

sam9657
03-01-2009, 05:38 PM
I wonder if this is the start of the decoupling.

pinkmandy
03-01-2009, 05:42 PM
- 65 now

ItsTime
03-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Dont sell dont sell! DONT SELL! You dont want to cash in your loses! DONT SELL DONT SELL!

Sorry I was channeling a MSM talking head when the dow was at 9,500

Kludge
03-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Didn't that Cramer guy officially call the bottom some 3,000 points ago?

Cowlesy
03-01-2009, 05:50 PM
:(

What makes me sad is that I know so many good folks who are believing the spoonfed bullshit from the financial prognosticators saying to "hold on...it'll go back up" -- and these people have diligently pumped cash into their 401Ks for the past 25 years, only to see massive losses of probably 15yrs worth of contributions.

I know that we are all about relying on ourselves, but I am still sad for folks who bought the lies.

ItsTime
03-01-2009, 05:51 PM

What makes me sad is that I know so many good folks who are believing the spoonfed bullshit from the financial prognosticators saying to "hold on...it'll go back up" -- and these people have diligently pumped cash into their 401Ks for the past 25 years, only to see massive losses of probably 15yrs worth of contributions.

I know that we are all about relying on ourselves, but I am still sad for folks who bought the lies.

I think I heard on CNBC that if you bought in at the peak it will take you 20 years at 7% growth a year to break even.

Cowlesy
03-01-2009, 05:55 PM
I think I heard on CNBC that if you bought in at the peak it will take you 20 years at 7% growth a year to break even.

Yeah ---- there is a better chance of me flying a Humvee to the moon than the U.S. growing 7% P.A. anytime soon.

thechitowncubs
03-01-2009, 06:07 PM
I followed Cramer's advice and bought financials around 9 months ago. I'm ready to jump out of my skin right about now! What should i doooooooo???????????

;)

idiom
03-01-2009, 06:25 PM
The banks all lied on Friday and modified their earnings reports after the bell

Sandra
03-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Start the Market watch thread early. It's gonna be a hellish day!

angelatc
03-01-2009, 06:34 PM

You know as well as anybody that the market isn't any place for money that you expect to need in 10 years. Retirees with their money in stocks gambled and lost.

My parents phased out of stocks over the years, like a textbook case, and they're only exposed to the 10% or so they still have in the market.

Even with the losses, if you add in the employer matching funds, I would think that most of those people still made money or at least broke even.

idiom
03-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Have a looke at todays Market-Ticker. (http://www.market-ticker.org/)

slacker921
03-01-2009, 06:48 PM

The thing is.. odds are pretty good that we'll see inflation kick in at some point and the DOW will leap back to 10,000+ and everyone will say *whew*... and ignore the fact that $10,000 won't buy nearly as much. How many people today complain of the inflation that has caused the price of a car/house/etc go up over the last 15yrs? Very few.

JoshLowry
03-01-2009, 06:53 PM

QFT

I'll add a sad face to that.

raystone
03-01-2009, 07:03 PM
jclay2 - when are you going to change the avatar ? Didn't David Walker support a mandatory savings plan for all U.S. citizens during the IOUSA premiere panel discussion ?

Kludge
03-01-2009, 07:28 PM

I should mention that when I went to see my Edward Jones "adviser" to switch some Roth funds out of domestic companies, she said she was surprised because she's sure we're going to recover after listening to Obama's speech about a week ago (she said that because he mentioned accountability, she's sure the free markets will pick back up).

Sarge
03-01-2009, 07:40 PM
HSBC shares suspended from trading. They are going to pull back from loans in the US.

Shares not to trade until Tuesday.

A few more like this, makes for a sleepless night.

RSLudlum
03-01-2009, 07:44 PM
jclay2 - when are you going to change the avatar ? Didn't David Walker support a mandatory savings plan for all U.S. citizens during the IOUSA premiere panel discussion ?

LOL...yeah, mandatory savings plan = Social Security 2.0

brandon
03-01-2009, 07:46 PM

Well...it will go back up. It might fall lower still...but just as the sun comes back up, the markets will too. They are going to reinflate the bubble, and the markets will eventually pass the highs of 2006/2007 before crashing again.

If you have had money in the markets for several years, and are still in at this point, it seems rather foolish to sell now.

jclay2
03-01-2009, 08:38 PM

Yeah, I only liked the guy because he gave the shock and awe figures of how in debt our country is. Shortly after I put him as my avatar, I did realize that he was just a lib with a different face on. Anyway, I havn't gotten around to changing it yet. Maybe a picture of Misses would do? I don't know. For the time being I will go without an avatar or signature.:(

MrNick
03-01-2009, 08:47 PM
The thing is.. odds are pretty good that we'll see inflation kick in at some point and the DOW will leap back to 10,000+ and everyone will say *whew*... and ignore the fact that $10,000 won't buy nearly as much. How many people today complain of the inflation that has caused the price of a car/house/etc go up over the last 15yrs? Very few.

I completely agree.

Original_Intent
03-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Well...it will go back up. It might fall lower still...but just as the sun comes back up, the markets will too. They are going to reinflate the bubble, and the markets will eventually pass the highs of 2006/2007 before crashing again.

If you have had money in the markets for several years, and are still in at this point, it seems rather foolish to sell now.

Hardly foolish if you believe the market is going to lose another 40% before a true recovery. Sure we will have mini-rallies and sucker rallies, but a growing number of economists are coming around that we have a ways to go down yet.

A month ago the pro's were saying that the market would bottom around 6500 in July....now it is looking like 6500 in early March is a very strong possibility.

I agree that people should have been out of the market long before now, but if I had any still in the market I'd still take it out now.

Cowlesy
03-01-2009, 09:59 PM
I should mention that when I went to see my Edward Jones "adviser" to switch some Roth funds out of domestic companies, she said she was surprised because she's sure we're going to recover after listening to Obama's speech about a week ago (she said that because he mentioned accountability, she's sure the free markets will pick back up).

http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/img/facepalm.jpeg