PDA

View Full Version : Values Voter Debate will have a Straw Poll

wgadget
09-15-2007, 05:35 AM
http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=57460

You know what to do.

paulaholic
09-15-2007, 05:46 AM
"Values voters" sicken me. They don't realize that issues like abortion are just fluff issues that politicians use to try to get at voters' emotions, and that the important issues are the economy, Iraq, etc.

Phenom24
09-15-2007, 06:08 AM
"Values voters" sicken me. They don't realize that issues like abortion are just fluff issues that politicians use to try to get at voters' emotions, and that the important issues are the economy, Iraq, etc.

Hey why don't you tell us how you really feel? Did you ever think that some people hold certain core beliefs very dear (like abortion) and will not vote for someone who has voted contrary to their belief system??

wgadget
09-15-2007, 07:20 AM
I've heard it said that any candidate that doesn't show up for this debate is automatically counted out by evangelical Christian voters. This does not bode well for the "first tier" candidates: Rudy McRomneyson. Tsk, tsk.

They're digging their own graves.

Go Ron!

paulaholic
09-15-2007, 07:36 AM
Hey why don't you tell us how you really feel? Did you ever think that some people hold certain core beliefs very dear (like abortion) and will not vote for someone who has voted contrary to their belief system??

That's fine. But certain issues like abortion and gay marriage are just devices used by panderers to get more voters on their side. If "values voters" have their way and there is a federal ban on abortion and gay marriage, they'll find that there lives aren't any better than they were before. It's just a ploy by conservatives to help get in office.

allyinoh
09-15-2007, 07:45 AM
That's fine. But certain issues like abortion and gay marriage are just devices used by panderers to get more voters on their side. If "values voters" have their way and there is a federal ban on abortion and gay marriage, they'll find that there lives aren't any better than they were before. It's just a ploy by conservatives to help get in office.

I agree with you here. Although I feel a certain way about issues like abortion, gay marriage, etc, I do feel the more important issues are the economy, this whole NAU thing, illegal immigration, and the police action in Iraq.

Scribbler de Stebbing
09-15-2007, 08:33 AM
delegates for the Values Voter Straw Poll have been selected by pro-family leaders such as Phyllis Schlafly, president of Eagle Forum; Don Wildmon, chairman of the American Family Association; Paul Weyrich, president of the Free Congress Foundation; Judge Roy Moore, chairman of the Foundation for Moral Law; Rabbi Aryea Spero, of the Jewish Action Alliance; Star Parker, of the Coalition on Urban Renewal and Education, or CURE; and Chaplain Gordon James Klingenschmitt, who fought for the right of military chaplains to pray in Jesus' name

The straw poll outcome has already been determined. If you want to gripe about something having to do with this debate and organization, start making noise about what a fraud this straw poll is.

RadioDJforPaul
09-15-2007, 08:45 AM

Yeah I know. This is what frustrated me in 2004. Several of my coworkers voted for Bush soley for the reason that he is against abortion. The war didnt matter to them, the mistakes didnt matter to them. Only that he was against abortion...EVEN THOUGH HE HAS DONE NOTHING TO STOP IT!

So frustrating.

Matt Collins
09-15-2007, 10:55 AM
Several of my coworkers voted for Bush soley for the reason that he is against abortion. The war didnt matter to them, the mistakes didnt matter to them. Only that he was against abortionThat will work to our advantage this time around. We just need to spread doubt about Fred and Huck.

Matt Collins
09-15-2007, 10:56 AM
That's fine. But certain issues like abortion and gay marriage are just devices used by panderers to get more voters on their side. If "values voters" have their way and there is a federal ban on abortion and gay marriage, they'll find that there lives aren't any better than they were before. It's just a ploy by conservatives to help get in office.We still need their votes anyway. And if we can convince them that RP is the value voters candidate (which he is), then we can get him elected.

Cindy
09-15-2007, 11:05 AM

Yeah I know. This is what frustrated me in 2004. Several of my coworkers voted for Bush soley for the reason that he is against abortion. The war didnt matter to them, the mistakes didnt matter to them. Only that he was against abortion...EVEN THOUGH HE HAS DONE NOTHING TO STOP IT!

So frustrating.

That's logical voting if you care about saving life. Bush didn't stop one fetus from being aborted, and ordered the murder of hundreds of thousands of people with his wars.

Church going Christians, you really need to reach out to your congregation to think logically on this one.

An anti-abortion, pro Iraq/Iran war candidate sounds like an oxy-moron to me.

Scribbler de Stebbing
09-15-2007, 03:38 PM
The straw poll outcome has already been determined. If you want to gripe about something having to do with this debate and organization, start making noise about what a fraud this straw poll is.

Bump. Anyone else care that this straw poll is a fake?

Hurricane Bruiser
09-15-2007, 03:58 PM
Certainly a preset outcome based on delegates chosen. Quite the fraud.

akalucas
09-15-2007, 04:00 PM
I heard Farah say in a interview that the debate will be 3 hours long so I think they will have enough time to talk about all the issues.

Phenom24
09-15-2007, 04:24 PM
That's logical voting if you care about saving life. Bush didn't stop one fetus from being aborted, and ordered the murder of hundreds of thousands of people with his wars.

Church going Christians, you really need to reach out to your congregation to think logically on this one.

An anti-abortion, pro Iraq/Iran war candidate sounds like an oxy-moron to me.

Cindy, trust me, I'm trying. I am glad that Dr. Paul is anti-abortion, so that makes a great selling point.. But I swear that what I am running up against is a brick wall of inHannity (insanity)..

This is what I've heard in the past 24 hours from fellow church folk. Ready?

Ron Paul sucked up to Alan Colmes, so he must be a liberal.
Even though GWB ran on a non-interventionist foreign policy in 2000, he is allowed to change his mind. Since I said that RP didn't change his vote, I was told that "Oh, so no one is ever allowed to change his position?" (I'm like, what, a license to flip-flop?)
Sean Hannity ripped into RP and he couldn't take it.
RP wants to cut and run - he's a spineless liberal.

I reminded the person that Dr. Paul is a Christian and is in line with Christian values.

Know what I got in reply?

"Yeah, and Jimmy Carter said he was a Christian too - he and Dr. Paul are both morons!!!"

I think the only way I can break through the neocon brainwashing is with a sledgehammer or maybe an oxyacetylene torch.

:(

I managed to get all of my family on board though - they can see things with a more open mind - that is they don't watch Faux News 24/7....

BuddyRey
09-15-2007, 04:27 PM
Can't there be a internet-based poll we could spam or a text message poll we could swarm?

Anything else is a violation of our freedom of speech.

We'll have to find some sort of Ron Paul supporter replicating device! After all, that is how we won all those straw polls. BWUAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

disinter
09-15-2007, 05:47 PM
I hope the FL Ron Paul meetups are organizing and planning to attend.

Chester Copperpot
09-15-2007, 05:58 PM
How many times can one person vote at a real, like, election or primary or whatever?

Enough for Ron Paul to win hah

Hook
09-15-2007, 06:02 PM
Go back under your bridge.

stalcottsmith
09-15-2007, 06:33 PM
I hope the FL Ron Paul meetups are organizing and planning to attend.

Yes we are and we have.

I believe they have had some trouble filling all the seats and so tickets have been going around to pretty much any self-identified, pro-life christian.

The voting is somewhat rigged and we knew that going in. I've heard one of the main people putting on the poll is a Duncan Hunter fan and that she has supporters flying in from out of town to vote. That may not be a big deal except if they somehow get preferential treatment in ticket distribution.

We have a few people from around the state who are delegates. I think there will be 1000 delegates. Anything over 5% will be due to people outside of RP meetups voting for him. Let's hope he does well.

Even if he doesn't, we'll warm him up with a fundraiser beforehand and a massive party waiting for him just down the street afterward. ;-) Surround the man with Love.