PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul: Bunning Declares Again: 'I am running'

RonPaulFanInGA
02-28-2009, 09:28 PM
http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/40470862.html

"FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) - U.S. Sen. Jim Bunning reiterated on Friday that he will seek re-election next year.

The two-term Republican also said he is willing to meet with Rand Paul, son of U.S. Rep. and former Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul of Texas, to discuss his race.

Paul, a Bowling Green eye surgeon, expressed interest in the race on Thursday, saying he would consider running in Bunning's place if the 77-year-old sports icon were to drop out or would perhaps assist Bunning in his re-election campaign if he stays in.

Paul said he'd like to meet with Bunning to discuss the matter.

"Let me be very clear about this. I am running for re-election to the United States Senate," Bunning said in a release to The Associated Press on Friday. "I'd be happy to meet with anyone who wants to be a part of my winning team."

Paul praised Bunning for his opposition to a federal bailout of the banking industry, and said he would consider entering the Senate race only if Bunning drops out. Paul said he is in no way trying to encourage Bunning to drop out."

Zera
02-28-2009, 09:29 PM
I say he runs against the old man.

Aratus
03-01-2009, 09:42 AM
lets wait and see... either way, the meeting would place rand paul quite deeply inside current events
on quite a few local papers. bunning seems quite a character and then some... in a way its a pity, for the
very droll older art of stump tub thumping politics is vannishing fast & hurriedly from our political landscape

Matt Collins
03-01-2009, 09:09 PM
I say he runs against the old man.I don't think Rand will.

Kotin
03-01-2009, 09:11 PM
I say he runs against the old man.

yeah.. it would really help him to pull a Chris Peden(praise a candidate say you wont run against them and then do it anyway.)

Zera
03-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Well, I think he should consider the fact that he almost lost in 2004 to the guy who is now the Lt. Governor, and who is running again against him. If no Republican supports him, he'll probably drop out.

ClayTrainor
03-01-2009, 09:17 PM
that sucks :(

He Who Pawns
03-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Let's see how this plays out. Rand must have reasons for what he is doing.

CMoore
03-01-2009, 10:15 PM
I have heard that recent remarks by Bunning regarding Ruth Bader Ginsberg's health have Republican leaders looking around for possible replacements. This may be Rand Paul's big chance.

Matt Collins
03-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Republican leaders looking around for possible replacements. This may be Rand Paul's big chance.That's the idea ;)

Aratus
03-02-2009, 10:31 AM
mat collins, read edwin o'conner's "last hurrah" and then hint to one and all that we must
CAUTIOUSLY sweetly nudge and impell RAND PAUL into this political malaise that may take
a full year and a half to play out well. rushing in like an ideologue on steroids and taking
a half ahhhhhhhhrrsed stance most fecklessly is premature. EXPECTING the voters to be in
a mood for a big generational shift and fully cognicent of their aggragate senses translates
into we all KNOWING the voice of the people is the voice of the people. we need to pace into
this carefully and cautiously. if RAND PAUL does not expend needlessly political capital, then
he gains as the others get MORE out of touch with the voters. Bunning has lost his touch,
the auld fox, he's more a pariah than Bob Barr was with the RNC, and to compound this, the
dude is doin' his VERY BEST version of HARRY S. TRUMAN's plain speaking without a PR guy at
his side. GOODDY GOODY GOODY! let us not be rude, lets give Sen. Bunning his due, so lets wish
Ms. Ruth Bader Ginsburg the best of health, and LETs ALL GET BEHIND RAND PAUL IN FULL LUCIDITY!!!