PDA

View Full Version : Should Rand Paul back Sen Bunning?

Matt Collins
02-28-2009, 06:52 PM
Rand Paul has mentioned that he won't run if Senator Bunning runs. If Senator Bunning runs should Rand back Senator Bunning and why?

MRoCkEd
02-28-2009, 06:57 PM
no because it would serve no purpose except to maybe get an endorsement from bunning in 2016 - not worth it

Kludge
02-28-2009, 06:58 PM
Bunning has a large following and is very conservative compared to his Republican colleagues. It would be foolish to run against him. Not only is it unlikely that he would win, but it will hinder Rand's efforts when Bunning does resign if there are any hard feelings.

MRoCkEd
02-28-2009, 06:59 PM
good point - i retract my statement

Matt Collins
02-28-2009, 07:29 PM
Bunning has a large following and is very conservative compared to his Republican colleagues. It would be foolish to run against him. Not only is it unlikely that he would win, but it will hinder Rand's efforts when Bunning does resign if there are any hard feelings.Rand will NOT run against Bunning; he has told me that several times already.

Imperial
02-28-2009, 11:26 PM
If Mitch McConnell is the Boss Tweed of Kentucky, we need somebody higher up who could be an ally.

As Senator Bunning is mobbed by all those around him clamoring for his resignation, we can have a voice calling for him. Obviously, our liberty movement cannot make up with McConnell anyway. We are too entrenched against his version of conservatism.

However, if we can side with Senator Bunning we will have an ally for the future. He cannot remain in the Senate forever, and he at least has many good glimpses into liberty. When he runs again, if he wins he will at least be able to remember our loyalty. We will have an ally in the Kentucky GOP, something that appears to be lacking in the big scheme of things.

If/when Rand decides in the future to run for senate, we can have the backing of an ally. Remember, he could run for Senate against McConnell in 2014. Or Congress at any time.

Kludge
02-28-2009, 11:30 PM
Rand will NOT run against Bunning; he has told me that several times already.

Right. I read that. Wasn't thinking... I've been off for about a week now. Crazy apathy and absentmindedness like you wouldn't believe.

Anyway, I don't much care what Rand Paul does regarding backing him. I doubt it would even help Bunning that much, but it would probably gain Paul some favor when he does decide to run -- unless he's faced with an anarchist or something how calls Rand a Neo-Con :p

Matt Collins
03-01-2009, 05:44 PM
I've been off for about a week now. Crazy apathy and absentmindedness like you wouldn't believe.I could only imagine... :o

thasre
03-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Just saying that he shouldn't run against Bunning isn't the same thing as saying he should back him. Bunning has been losing face with the GOP at an alarming rate and has been acting very oddly lately. Rand Paul should not align himself too closely with someone that isn't performing very well and is making a bunch of enemies for himself. But that also doesn't mean Paul should run against him.

JoshLowry
03-01-2009, 07:17 PM
I put unsure, it will be interesting to see how it pans out. Rand might know something I don't.

I know I wouldn't support Bunning after seeing his voting record.

TruthisTreason
03-01-2009, 09:43 PM
I put unsure, it will be interesting to see how it pans out. Rand might know something I don't.

I know I wouldn't support Bunning after seeing his voting record.

I guess it depends on where you start the votes. I know since fall of 2007, I've agreed with Bunning 1000 more times than McConnell. Bunning earned a lot of respect opposing TARP (opposing McConnell), in my eyes he is catching heat for asking questions!!! I've told Bunning's staff: he has my support, however, I do feel it's time for some fresh blood in D.C., it's time for Senator Rand Paul!

krazy kaju
03-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Bunning is good for a politician, IMO. Rand shouldn't run against him because that good damage his reputation and make it less likely for him to win reelection against the Democrats.

Matt Collins
03-06-2009, 05:08 PM
Bunning is good for a politician, IMO. Rand shouldn't run against him because that good damage his reputation and make it less likely for him to win reelection against the Democrats.I don't think Rand will run against Sen Benning for several reasons.

TruthisTreason
03-06-2009, 05:57 PM
I don't think Rand will run against Sen Benning for several reasons.

Just my hunch, but I don't think Bunning will run for several reasons.

Aratus
03-07-2009, 11:01 AM
his age being near the top of the list? the next two years being very unpredictable
also would have him rethinking enduring a long drawn out re-election campaign...

Call Me V
03-10-2009, 12:06 PM
If he doesnt run, he should back him. Bunning is very conservative when it comes to things like the economy.

I live in KY, Bunning is getting blasted in the local newspaper editorials however.

tribute_13
03-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Where's the option for them both running to have two chances for the nomination?

krazy kaju
03-11-2009, 03:09 PM
I live in KY, Bunning is getting blasted in the local newspaper editorials however.

I hate the statist MSM.