PDA

View Full Version : David Williams: The man who would be Rand Paul's opponent

spotics
02-27-2009, 07:31 PM
If Rand Paul were to run, his most likely primary opponent would be Kentucky Senate President David Williams. Lets take a look at him.

FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) -- Senate President David Williams says a possible drop of 4 cents in Kentucky's gasoline tax could be "catastrophic" for state roads.

The Burkesville Republican said Friday that he thinks state lawmakers need to attempt to freeze the current tax to ensure safe roads. House Speaker Greg Stumbo also favors the move.

Kentucky's gasoline tax is set to drop by about 4 cents per gallon because of a change in the wholesale price. But lawmakers are considering freezing that tax and not allowing the drop to kick in." David Williams is no fan of the free market by any means. Just last Wednesday he killed a bill that would allow industrial hemp to be grown in Kentucky denying the state thousands of new jobs. He is also doing a great job of killing Kentucky's existing businesses. http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20090212/NEWS0101/902120369
FRANKFORT, Ky. -- The House approved a bill yesterday that will increase taxes on cigarettes and the retail sale of alcoholic beverages as part of a package to help balance the state budget.

The vote on House Bill 144 was 66-34, with 60 Democrats and six Republicans supporting it.

"My personal goal was to get 60 of our Democrats and a blend of our Republican friends to join this, and we did that," said House Speaker Greg Stumbo, D-Prestonsburg.

The bill now goes to the Senate, whose leader said yesterday he believes it will pass.

"This is not a time for politics," Senate President David Williams, R-Burkesville, said in making a strong endorsement of the bill during a speech from the floor. "This is a time where we have to create a level of trust between Republicans and Democrats in the legislature and with the governor, even if we haven't had good relationships … in the past."

Williams also chastised the Kentucky alcoholic beverage industry for its big lobbying effort against higher taxes on their products -- an effort that included warnings that Kentucky's bourbon industry might move facilities from the state.

It's not surprising Rand Paul's organization, Kentucky Taxpayers United gave Williams an "F" on issues of taxation and spening. At the state's largest political festival Williams would not take a Ron Paul for president flyer. At the state GOP convnention, he openly mocked Ron Paul supporters. I would love to see Williams go down to Rand Paul or even be so damaged by a grueling primary that he would lose come November.

Aratus
06-03-2009, 08:57 AM
http://waysandmeans.house.gov/legacy/portraits/highoff/jackson.htm
funny how this old speculative posting looks as these months have time~wise
greatly interviened... and in terms of a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Conaway
famous photogenic face, there are these screen credits and a local Kentucky and/or Tennessee
name that could be a role for the dude who was in GREASE. jeff conaway is almost as cragy-faced as
is AULD HICKORY. http://www.wizardsandwarriors.org/show/articles/time.htm

MRoCkEd
06-03-2009, 08:58 AM
I'm more worried about winning the primary

Aratus
06-03-2009, 09:02 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:B5_zack.jpg

Aratus
06-03-2009, 09:03 AM
methinks most likely the lt. governor or darlene fitzgerlad will edge aside jack conway...
and rand paul will get the g.o.p nomination insted of senator bunning or trey grayson...

Aratus
06-03-2009, 09:11 AM
many lt. governors often eventually become governors in full...

Aratus
06-03-2009, 09:12 AM
so...

Aratus
06-03-2009, 09:13 AM
if..........................

we.......................

suggest..............

to......................

the Lt. governor

that he...............

is better..............

suited to running

.........for governor

rather than....(drumrolls)

---- THE SENATE ----!!!

do you think---------

that this might be one

of the upshots of this merrie race?

??????????????????????

????????????????

??????????

?????

??
?

-------------------------

spotics
06-03-2009, 11:37 AM
methinks most likely the lt. governor or darlene fitzgerlad will edge aside jack conway...
and rand paul will get the g.o.p nomination insted of senator bunning or trey grayson...

I hope Darlene wins the Dem primary, but I think Mongiardo, the Lt. Gov. will win. In Western Kentucky neither Darlene or Jack are all that well known. Jack will also have a problem winning outside of Louisville.

I think a Rand vs. Mongiardo debate would be good because you would have two doctors debating health care.

erin moore
06-04-2009, 12:08 AM
I was one of those (perhaps one of the mot outspoken) supporters Williams mocked at the state convention. He clapped when the chair's goons *tried* to throw me out.

The thought of this guy getting the senate seat makes me sick.

Aratus
06-04-2009, 09:59 AM
two new republican politicos have entered the race...
well long past the usual roster of names and faces...