PDA

View Full Version : Senator Bunning willing to meet with Rand Paul

FrankRep
02-27-2009, 05:39 PM
Bunning willing to meet with Paul

AP
February 27, 2009

FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) - U.S. Sen. Jim Bunning says he is willing to meet with Rand Paul, son of U.S. Rep. and former Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul of Texas, to discuss his re-election campaign.

Paul is a Bowling Green eye surgeon who expressed interest in Bunning's race on Thursday. He said he would consider running in Bunning's place or assisting Bunning if he stays in.

Bunning said in a statement Friday that he is running for re-election. But he said he'd be happy to meet with anyone who wants to join his "winning team."

Bunning has won election to the Senate twice, both times by razor-thin margins, and some Republican leaders, fearing he lacks the political muscle to survive a third challenge, are sending not-so-subtle messages that they want the 77-year-old sports icon to retire.

SOURCE:
http://www.wxix.com/Global/story.asp?S=9920343

gls
02-27-2009, 05:59 PM
It doesn't sound like this guy is in any hurry to give up his seat.

MRoCkEd
02-27-2009, 06:00 PM
he's running for re-election? damn!

PureCommonSense
02-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Well, maybe we can use this to our advantage. If he meets with Rand that gives a chance to influence.

Matt Collins
02-27-2009, 07:29 PM
From the jist of the article (I've learned not to put much faith in the "news") this guy wants Rand's support and everything that comes with it, namely us.

There are rumors circulating that the GOP wants this guy out. And there are even rumors circulating that this guy want to get out. But I tend to doubt that the GOP would like Rand instead, of course I could be wrong.

PeterSchiffVideos
02-28-2009, 03:30 AM
Well if Bunning thinks he can run again and get Rand to support him, and that will get all of our grassroots support, he has another thing coming.

I think we should make it clear to Rand that if Bunning stays, it's doubtful that we're going to do anything to help out just because Rand wants to support him.

If Bunning runs again, we need to convince Rand to Run against him, or run for another office.

Misesian
02-28-2009, 02:45 PM
Well if Bunning thinks he can run again and get Rand to support him, and that will get all of our grassroots support, he has another thing coming.

I think we should make it clear to Rand that if Bunning stays, it's doubtful that we're going to do anything to help out just because Rand wants to support him.

If Bunning runs again, we need to convince Rand to Run against him, or run for another office.

I agree, why hasn't a run for Congress been discussed? Afterall, it would be MUCH easier to win a House seat than a Senate seat anyways.

I wish Murray Sabrin would have run for the House instead of the Senate.

spotics
02-28-2009, 02:54 PM
I agree, why hasn't a run for Congress been discussed? Afterall, it would be MUCH easier to win a House seat than a Senate seat anyways.

Believe me Rand would have an easier time winning an open senate seat over running against Brett Guthrie.

nate895
02-28-2009, 02:57 PM

The Kentucky 2nd Congressional District has not seen an incumbent Representative defeated since 1884

It just doesn't get more entrenched than that.

Imperial
02-28-2009, 03:28 PM
Rand should back Bunning, especially because if the GOP is moving away from Bunning he needs some supportive force. Adopting Bunning could get him to address some of our issues.

itshappening
02-28-2009, 04:05 PM
Rand should back Bunning, especially because if the GOP is moving away from Bunning he needs some supportive force. Adopting Bunning could get him to address some of our issues.

he'd want money for that and he wont get it from us.

we need to get him to stand down !

Misesian
02-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Alright alright, so I no Congressional race then as a fallback.

Though whynot State Senator, or even State House? These are not "dog catcher" positions and we need people like the Dr. Paul's in state legislature too. Statewide name recognition, and a record, can be established here as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'd MUCH rather him run for the U.S. Senate and would even give him money for certain. I'm just saying if that ends up not being an option I hope it's not all or nothing. All it takes is one Ron Paul Republican in a state legislature to introduce a sovereignty bill and have the headlines read "State xx declares sovereignty along with 26 others!".

I have considered running for either county commission or the state legislature myself but 2010 won't be an option and currently I think my role as a C4L county coordinator is more important since I serve in a capacity to get the message out that can create more candidates who can run in my stead.

spotics
02-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Alright alright, so I no Congressional race then as a fallback.

Though whynot State Senator, or even State House? These are not "dog catcher" positions and we need people like the Dr. Paul's in state legislature too. Statewide name recognition, and a record, can be established here as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'd MUCH rather him run for the U.S. Senate and would even give him money for certain. I'm just saying if that ends up not being an option I hope it's not all or nothing. All it takes is one Ron Paul Republican in a state legislature to introduce a sovereignty bill and have the headlines read "State xx declares sovereignty along with 26 others!".

I have considered running for either county commission or the state legislature myself but 2010 won't be an option and currently I think my role as a C4L county coordinator is more important since I serve in a capacity to get the message out that can create more candidates who can run in my stead.

Rand would have an excellent chance of being state rep. The person who is state rep in his district will likely retire in 2010 and the district while currently Democrat is in a Republican area.

Misesian
02-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Rand would have an excellent chance of being state rep. The person who is state rep in his district will likely retire in 2010 and the district while currently Democrat is in a Republican area.

That's good to know. I sure hope this draft campaign isn't an "all or nothing".

Kentucky's capital Frankfort appears to only be a 2-hour drive to Bowling Green anyways so hopefully he would at least consider this if Bunning doesn't retire.

What about the KY State Senate seat? Will that be up for an election without an incumbent Republican running?

(Note: I'd also contribute to a Rand Paul for State House/Senate campaign too!)

spotics
02-28-2009, 04:58 PM

Kentucky's capital Frankfort appears to only be a 2-hour drive to Bowling Green anyways so hopefully he would at least consider this if Bunning doesn't retire.

What about the KY State Senate seat? Will that be up for an election without an incumbent Republican running?

(Note: I'd also contribute to a Rand Paul for State House/Senate campaign too!)

The senate seat was recently won by a Democrat in a special election. There will be an election in 2010. However Jim Decesere (sp) is an excellent state rep and has already stated his interest.

Matt Collins
02-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Believe me Rand would have an easier time winning an open senate seat over running against Brett Guthrie.Exactly. And Rand completely understands that. He explained this to the TN CFL this back on 1/31.

Matt Collins
02-28-2009, 06:47 PM
Rand should back Bunning, especially because if the GOP is moving away from Bunning he needs some supportive force. Adopting Bunning could get him to address some of our issues.Rand and I have discussed that if he backs Bunning Rand himself might lose credibility within the liberty movement. Maybe we should start a poll.

Matt Collins
02-28-2009, 06:48 PM
Here is a local newscast about Rand possibly running for Senate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3ETubI-b5s

Matt Collins
02-28-2009, 06:52 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'd MUCH rather him run for the U.S. Senate and would even give him money for certain. I'm just saying if that ends up not being an option I hope it's not all or nothing. All it takes is one Ron Paul Republican in a state legislature to introduce a sovereignty bill and have the headlines read "State xx declares sovereignty along with 26 others!". Unlike Ron, Rand is not retired, has an active practice, young kids, family, etc. In otherwords the KY House / Senate seat probably would not be sustainable for him and his family because he'd have to quit his practice more than likely.

Matt Collins
02-28-2009, 06:55 PM

It's not a "draft" campaign. Rand made this decision on his own because of the potential of an opportunity.

What about the KY State Senate seat? Will that be up for an election without an incumbent Republican running?Rand only wants to be in Congress.

Aratus
03-01-2009, 09:34 AM
the meeting wouldn't hurt. i feel the next few years are going to be volatile.
bunning at 77 would be 79 as he seeks re-election. i see nothing that guarantees
a victory for either a democrat or a republican down the road. obama's people
may see their internet organization lapse back to a voter apathy. the "curse" that
is the D.C insider neo-con connected bush~ite g.o.p image is a coleridge level albatross
about the neck of any auld grand g.o.p republican! bunning evidently is an auld fox
who knows how to run crazily and shrewdly. if his instincts hold for the next two years,
it may behoove rand paul to be almost a hoosier booster of this "last hurrah" run...
if bunning has run past his basic instincts and the landscape is more volative, running
RAND PAUL as the NEXT "can-do" man who will toss the bums out could galvanize the voters!

Misesian
03-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Unlike Ron, Rand is not retired, has an active practice, young kids, family, etc. In otherwords the KY House / Senate seat probably would not be sustainable for him and his family because he'd have to quit his practice more than likely.

Matt, that's not true. State legislatures are in session MUCH LESS than the professional politicians in Washington D.C. Many are in session for only 2 - 3 months out of the year.

Plus as I mentioned, it seems that from Bowling Green to Frankfort is only a two-hour drive.

If you're communicating with Dr. Rand Paul, please tell him to keep this in the back of his mind for the reasons previously mentioned.

Matt Collins
03-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Matt, that's not true. State legislatures are in session MUCH LESS than the professional politicians in Washington D.C. Many are in session for only 2 - 3 months out of the year. You're right, but there is a lot to do even when not in session. And trying to do that and run a practice is very difficult if the compensation is not in the ball park which it probably almost is not.

But Rand has made it clear he doesn't want to run for any office smaller than Congress.

Misesian
03-01-2009, 07:42 PM
You're right, but there is a lot to do even when not in session. And trying to do that and run a practice is very difficult if the compensation is not in the ball park which it probably almost is not.

But Rand has made it clear he doesn't want to run for any office smaller than Congress.

That's too bad and unfortunate as he'd be a shoe-in for a state seat. Hopefully the old man will step aside and let the good doctor run!

tangent4ronpaul
03-01-2009, 09:29 PM
obama's people
may see their internet organization lapse back to a voter apathy.

More likely his support is going to implode. I've seen a number of threads where people were regretting voting for him and he's already broken - what - 7 or 8 of his campaign trail promises, people have seen the stock market tank every time he opens his mouth and ppl are ticked off over the stimulus bill and budget, etc.

-t

ingrid
03-02-2009, 12:28 PM
That's too bad and unfortunate as he'd be a shoe-in for a state seat. Hopefully the old man will step aside and let the good doctor run!

Agreed.

Is he active politically in his state in any way?

Matt Collins
03-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Agreed.

Is he active politically in his state in any way?
Yes, he has worked closely with a local state-wide anti-tax organization.