PDA

View Full Version : Senate Subcommittee On Domestic Terrorism, Militias in the US (1995)

brandon
02-27-2009, 04:39 PM
I just stumbled upon this video of the Senate Subcommittee hearing on the formation of militias in the early 90's after the Oklahoma City Bombing.

It is very interesting, I highly recommend watching this if you haven't seen it before. Watch the whole thing too. You should especially watch it if you are my age (25) or younger, and you were too young in the early/mid 90s to remember the Patriot movement.

Also, if you are not familiar with Ruby Ridge, Waco, or the Oklahoma City bombing, you should do a little research on them before watching this.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9043102260805967440&hl=en

pcosmar
02-27-2009, 05:02 PM
I am familiar.
The Patriot movement was around long before the OKC bombing.
These hearing were just after while there was an ongoing propaganda campaign to paint Patriots and militias as dangerous.
Many went underground even though they had done nothing wrong.
I still believe that OKC was orchestrated to weaken and destroy the militias and the Patriot Movement.
It was largely successful

paulitics
02-27-2009, 05:37 PM
I am familiar.
The Patriot movement was around long before the OKC bombing.
These hearing were just after while there was an ongoing propaganda campaign to paint Patriots and militias as dangerous.
Many went underground even though they had done nothing wrong.
I still believe that OKC was orchestrated to weaken and destroy the militias and the Patriot Movement.
It was largely successful

What caused the patriot movement to grow in size during the 90s? A little before my time to become aware of anything other than my insignificant self. Ah, to be young and in the matrix.

pcosmar
02-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Not entirely sure of the beginnings, I met some folks in the late 70s. but they had been around for a while.
I suspect some folks woke up in the 60s along with Civil rights and anti-war issues.
Not all that disagreed with policy were communists. Though it may have been in response to some Communist activity both within the movements and the Government.
Those I met were very libertarian leaning.
There were quite a number of issues during the 80s to include Iran contra, and Reagan's original Small government ideas going out the window.
I think they drew the notice by TPTB around the time of Ruby Ridge. Waco pissed a lot of people off and some were very vocal. There was a need to shut them up.
hence OKC.