PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't Ron Paul run for Senate?

anaconda
02-27-2009, 01:55 PM
I am very pleased that Peter and Rand may run for Senate. But why not Ron Paul?

Just curious.

anaconda
02-27-2009, 02:17 PM
Maybe it would detract from his House position. He already gets quite a bully pulpit on the news shows now. Far more than the average Senator, I suppose.

Smoke the Liberty Tree
02-27-2009, 06:43 PM

Just curious.

The election periods work so that if a house member tries to run for a senate seat (incumbent or retired) they would have to forfeit there chance of keeping there house seat.

Pres. Johnson tried to change it back in the 60's but the senate never even brought the debate to the floor. and really, why would they?

but yeah, its doubtful he'll try for it, because he already makes a good impact in the house thats not worth losing for a small chance at a senate run.

Smoke the Liberty Tree
02-27-2009, 06:46 PM
also even if he made it to the senate he wouldn't be able to pull much more weight than in the house, other than being able to filibuster, but i have no doubt that they would vote 2/3 for closure before he could finish his statement in the first place. he would however be able to have a more respectable position putting him in the news and limelight a little more often.

AJ Antimony
02-27-2009, 06:48 PM

Just curious.

Ron Paul gave up his House seat in 1984 to run for US Senate. He lost the Republican primary to the establishment candidate Phil Gramm.

So, Paul not only wasn't elected to the Senate, but he also lost his House seat.

He was younger at the time so he had the years ahead of him to run again for Congress if he ever wanted to which of course he did.

So to answer your question, Ron Paul isn't running for Senate because the same thing will happen again... the Republican Party of Texas will support the establishment candidate, Ron will lose the primary, AND his house seat. And since he's in his 70's today, if he lost, then he'd be done for good.

Another way to answer your question... Texas politics is MUCH different than Kentucky or Connecticut politics.

brandon
02-27-2009, 06:51 PM
Because he is going to run for president...duh! :D

nate895
02-27-2009, 08:11 PM
In Texas, you can't run for two offices at a time unless one is President.

brandon
02-27-2009, 08:16 PM
In Texas, you can't run for two offices at a time unless one is President.
Damn, you're a smart kid. How do you always know so many obscure details about the political processes of states you don't live in?

I'm serious...you really impress me sometimes.

nate895
02-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Damn, you're a smart kid. How do you always know so many obscure details about the political processes of states you don't live in?

I learned that one because I wanted Ron Paul to run for Senate as well. I learned that in the process.

My knowledge bowl team is going to state because I do indeed know my history, geography, and politics. They wouldn't even let me sub-out like usual. Once they get into science questions, though, I sometimes don't even understand the question posed.

AJ Antimony
02-27-2009, 08:34 PM

It's referred to as the LBJ law... I heard about it during the campaign.

Brian4Liberty
02-28-2009, 12:53 AM
Aren't both Senators from Texas already Republican? Extra hard to run against an incumbent in your own Party.

nate895
02-28-2009, 12:54 AM
Aren't both Senators from Texas already Republican? Extra hard to run against an incumbent in your own Party.

Hutchinson is leaving.

Draco33
02-28-2009, 01:03 AM
Hutchinson is leaving.

Because she is going to run for Govenor.

brandon
02-28-2009, 01:37 AM
My knowledge bowl team is going to state because I do indeed know my history, geography, and politics. They wouldn't even let me sub-out like usual. Once they get into science questions, though, I sometimes don't even understand the question posed.

Congratulations on making it to state. You definetely deserve it.

You will be an invaluable asset to the freedom movement when you get older (not that you aren't already), as long as you don't let old age corrupt you.

mport1
02-28-2009, 02:24 AM
He probably wouldn't win a Senate race either so at least when running for President he would get more attention.