PDA

View Full Version : Angry citizens open fire on pols

pinkmandy
02-27-2009, 11:49 AM
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1154481

From the bullet that smashed through a Lawrence City Hall window to stinking fishes flung at the Gloucester mayor’s home, city and state leaders are feeling the heat on the street from taxpayers and public sector workers fuming over impending layoffs and service cuts.

Authorities believe a bullet that slammed into the Lawrence city planner’s desk last weekend may be related the recent layoffs of 11 city employees and the firing of two others.

“If someone is giving a message that you’d better watch out, that’s disconcerting,” Lawrence Mayor Michael J. Sullivan told the Herald yesterday.

Gloucester Mayor Carolyn Kirk, who receives plainclothes police protection on occasion, found a pile of fish on her front porch last month, and her secretary intercepts an almost daily stream of angry e-mails and letters, redirecting the most menacing to police.

“In this budget climate, we’re all faced with cutting jobs, people’s livelihoods,” Kirk said. “It makes a mayor a target.”

Meanwhile, at a gas station on Old Colony Avenue yesterday, State Rep. Brian Wallace (D-South Boston) got an earful from a man incensed about Gov. Deval Patrick’s proposed 19-cent gas tax hike.

“It’s gotten worse,” said Wallace, who also gets blistering e-mails from constituents. “It’s taken a different tone, an edge. People are stretched to the limit.”

Geoff Beckwith, executive director of the Massachusetts Municipal Association, fears that the anger could morph into violence as the economic crisis deepens.

“Unfortunately, the decisions local officials have to make are personal ones, and people get upset at them,” Beckwith said. “When emotions run high and difficult decisions are made, there’s the potential for violence.”

Lynn Mayor Edward “Chip” Clancy agreed. “Any time you tell someone no, people get very, very angry,” he explained.

Beckwith and other municipal officials are aware this latest onslaught comes little more than a year after a disturbed gunman opened fire on the Kirkwood, Mo., City Council, killing five people.

“We know we’re the people who feel the heat,” said Brockton Mayor James Harrington, who’s considering laying off at least 100 cops and firefighters. “That’s the job we chose, and it’s a big part of the job.”

In Melrose, Mayor Robert Dolan blamed tough times for a spike in dime-dropping by anonymous tipsters targeting police, fire and public works employees believed to be cavorting about on city time.

Lynn’s Clancy said he’s steering clear of bars and other places where he might run into angry taxpayers.

“When they have a few in them,” Clancy said, “they get a little - how do you say - demonstrative.”

Danke
02-27-2009, 11:54 AM
"taxpayers and public sector workers" Aren't they on the opposite side of the issue?

constituent
02-27-2009, 11:54 AM
one lone wolf is far more dangerous than a thousand blind, shepherded sheep.

constituent
02-27-2009, 11:56 AM
"taxpayers and public sector workers" Aren't they on the opposite side of the issue?

a blessing in disguise.

torchbearer
02-27-2009, 11:58 AM
At first glance I thought this thread was about people attacking polish people.

pinkmandy
02-27-2009, 12:00 PM
At first glance I thought this thread was about people attacking polish people.

I thought the same when I first saw it. I had a wtf moment, too. :D

Deborah K
02-27-2009, 12:00 PM
It's starting....

1000-points-of-fright
02-27-2009, 12:02 PM
from taxpayers and public sector workers fuming over impending layoffs and service cuts.

Except they're mad for the wrong reasons.

MsDoodahs
02-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Lynn’s Clancy said he’s steering clear of bars and other places where he might run into angry taxpayers.

“When they have a few in them,” Clancy said, “they get a little - how do you say - demonstrative.”

"I didn't know how many of 'em it would take to whip my ass...but I knew how many of 'em they were gonna use."

:)

Kludge
02-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Free will is no longer beneficial when all that civilization holds is a horde of fucking morons. Bring on the Change!

Feenix566
02-27-2009, 12:06 PM
These people are angry that they've been cut off from the nanny state. They'd probably shoot all of us if they knew who we were.

pcosmar
02-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Except they're mad for the wrong reasons.

In the end that won't even matter.
People are pissed for a hundred different reasons. TPTB are pushing for an incident.
Why doesn't matter.

MsDoodahs
02-27-2009, 12:08 PM
People are pissed for a hundred different reasons. TPTB are pushing for an incident.
Why doesn't matter.

Yep....

The melting pot is scorching these days...

constituent
02-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Why doesn't matter.

which is why "getting organized" is the worst possible rxn atm.

ihsv
02-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Most interesting.

torchbearer
02-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Most interesting.

for some reason, you avatar loop is now on crack... instead of a chuckling movement, it looks like it has hyper-tremors

Kludge
02-27-2009, 01:54 PM
for some reason, you avatar loop is now on crack... instead of a chuckling movement, it looks like it has hyper-tremors

I've always viewed it as what you describe. :confused:

torchbearer
02-27-2009, 01:56 PM
I've always viewed it as what you describe. :confused:

In IE7 the gif loop plays at the right speed.
In Firefox 3 it plays in hyper speed.

Anti Federalist
02-27-2009, 02:13 PM
Why doesn't matter.

+1776

Exactly.

Which is why, even though I have my moments of doubt, "education" is still very important.

That is the tool needed to channel this rising surge in the right direction.