PDA

View Full Version : Political Nomenclature: How do we define ourselves?

LittleLightShining
02-27-2009, 10:29 AM
We've talked about this before but we need to redefine ourselves. Libertarian, Conservative, Republican, Liberal... all of these have seriously negative connotations that instantly divide people. How can we make the Liberty movement more accessible to people without the baggage of the current labels?

Just last night I was watching Olberman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GXjefOQTvw#t=6m21s) (I know...) and Janeane Garofalo (I know...) was saying that conservatives or people who identify with the modern day Republican Party have something wrong with them. She obviously doesn't understand the difference between conservativism and the modern Republican Party OR she doesn't care and is actively perpetuating the stereotype. Either way it's bad for the movement. Even if half or more of us do not identify with the GOP we still suffer as a result of this type of stereotyping.

How can we reach out to the anti-war, civil liberty appreciating Left and still be associated with True Conservatism?

ourlongroad
02-27-2009, 10:30 AM
We've talked about this before but we need to redefine ourselves. Libertarian, Conservative, Republican, Liberal... all of these have seriously negative connotations that instantly divide people. How can we make the Liberty movement more accessible to people without the baggage of the current labels?

Just last night I was watching Olberman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GXjefOQTvw#t=6m21s) (I know...) and Janeane Garofalo (I know...) was saying that conservatives or people who identify with the modern day Republican Party have something wrong with them. She obviously doesn't understand the difference between conservativism and the modern Republican Party OR she doesn't care and is actively perpetuating the stereotype. Either way it's bad for the movement. Even if half or more of us do not identify with the GOP we still suffer as a result of this type of stereotyping.

How can we reach out to the anti-war, civil liberty appreciating Left and still be associated with True Conservatism?
How about Sovereign Individuals

pcosmar
02-27-2009, 10:31 AM
How about Sovereign Individuals

That works, but i still consider myself an Angry American.

LittleLightShining
02-27-2009, 10:47 AM
How about Sovereign IndividualsI like it but are we really?

That works, but i still consider myself an Angry American.Me, too. But it's not really very attractive :P

pcosmar
02-27-2009, 10:49 AM
I like it but are we really?

Me, too. But it's not really very attractive :P

Neither am I.
lol :D

LittleLightShining
02-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Neither am I.
lol :DAwww... I've seen you and that's not true.

I'm serious about the names. I think our movement has a better chance at success if we can somehow capture the non-statist Left.

georgiaboy
02-27-2009, 11:09 AM
constitutionalist?

georgiaboy
02-27-2009, 11:09 AM
classical liberal?

georgiaboy
02-27-2009, 11:11 AM
liberty-lovers?

Kludge
02-27-2009, 11:13 AM
//

LittleLightShining
02-27-2009, 11:16 AM
constitutionalist?

classical liberal?

liberty-lovers?

All three are accurate but they still carry baggage depending on where you use them. You could call yourself a Constitutionalist in GOP or Libertarian circles but not necessarily Progressive or Democrat circles. You would never be taken seriously or trusted if you referred to yourself as a Classical Liberal to Republicans. Neither Democrats or Republicans want to hear liberty-lover.

So do we rebrand ourselves for different occasions? Or do we try to fight the stereotypes?

RCA
02-27-2009, 11:16 AM
libertarian conservative

constituent
02-27-2009, 11:18 AM
self-determinant

Theocrat
02-27-2009, 11:20 AM

Honestly, we may never be able to attract those on the Left who are anti-war and "civil-liberty-appreciating." For some conservatives, there are issues which are foundational to remaining conservative without compromise. One issue would be abortion. Frankly, I can't see too many Leftists aligning themselves with conservatives, like myself, who will not budge on banning abortions (which by the way is a "civil-liberty-appreciating" position for protecting babies in the womb).

georgiaboy
02-27-2009, 11:21 AM
"live-and-let-live" 'ers?

georgiaboy
02-27-2009, 11:22 AM
progressive-conservatives?

Deborah K
02-27-2009, 11:24 AM
what about resurecting an old name like: Sons of Liberty, and adding Sons and Daughters of Liberty? SDLs?

LittleLightShining
02-27-2009, 11:27 AM
libertarian conservativeWorks for Libertarians and Republicans.

self-determinantAre we, though? I like to think I am but I'm not so sure sometimes.

Honestly, we may never be able to attract those on the Left who are anti-war and "civil-liberty-appreciating." For some conservatives, there are issues which are foundational to remaining conservative without compromise. One issue would be abortion. Frankly, I can't see too many Leftists aligning themselves with conservatives, like myself, who will not budge on banning abortions (which by the way is a "civil-liberty-appreciating" position for protecting babies in the womb).But when they see that the Democrats are no more anti-war or civil liberty appreciating than the "modern Republican Party" I think they stand a better chance at being brought into the fold. You're totally right about abortion but I think there are some who may be willing to accept states' rights here. I have some friends who are "very liberal" who were pro-choice until they had kids. Experience changes people.

"live-and-let-live" 'ers? This one I like :)

Danke
02-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Liberty-truther

Progressive-denier

?

LittleLightShining
02-27-2009, 11:32 AM
progressive-conservatives? It's really kinda confusing and thought-provoking. What does it mean? :D

georgiaboy
02-27-2009, 11:37 AM
It's really kinda confusing and thought-provoking. What does it mean? :D

yeah, that's what I like about it - it's taking both sides and bringing them together.

It really turns the left/right paradigm on its head, and gives us the chance to define it.

You could also turn it around into "conservative-progressive" depending on the audience.

"pro-con" is really fun.:D

georgiaboy
02-27-2009, 11:38 AM
"rationalists"?

constituent
02-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Are we, though? I like to think I am but I'm not so sure sometimes.

I am. It won't make you rich though...

moostraks
02-27-2009, 11:41 AM
"rationalists"?

lol....best one yet!:D

georgiaboy
02-27-2009, 11:48 AM
I wonder if we could paint ourselves as the "new moderates" or "neo-moderates"?

We're basically socially liberal or neutral (ie civil liberties), and fiscally conservative.

So we moderate the liberal fiscal policies of dems with the fascist social policies of reps.

maybe?

constituent
02-27-2009, 11:57 AM
along those lines, someone awhile back was using the term "the radical center."

LittleLightShining
02-27-2009, 12:55 PM
yeah, that's what I like about it - it's taking both sides and bringing them together.

It really turns the left/right paradigm on its head, and gives us the chance to define it.

You could also turn it around into "conservative-progressive" depending on the audience.

"pro-con" is really fun.:DIt does. And it is. I think this has potential.

"rationalists"?I like this one, too.

I wonder if we could paint ourselves as the "new moderates" or "neo-moderates"?

We're basically socially liberal or neutral (ie civil liberties), and fiscally conservative.

So we moderate the liberal fiscal policies of dems with the fascist social policies of reps.

maybe?Moderate=Republicrat

Xenophage
02-27-2009, 01:36 PM

NO matter what you label yourself, you will always create a negative association with the word amongst people who disagree with you. Isn't that obvious?

It doesn't matter what you call yourself, as long as you're accurate and you prevent the usurpation of the meaning by people who do not share the philosophy. This is possible only by carefully defining the philosophy.

homah
02-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Democratic-Republicans

Anti Federalist
02-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Treasonous Bastard. ;)

LittleLightShining
02-27-2009, 02:26 PM
NO matter what you label yourself, you will always create a negative association with the word amongst people who disagree with you. Isn't that obvious?

It doesn't matter what you call yourself, as long as you're accurate and you prevent the usurpation of the meaning by people who do not share the philosophy. This is possible only by carefully defining the philosophy.I guess my point is that there are many more issues on which people agree than disagree. So rather than pick up a moniker that has been tainted and cannot be salvaged because of media redefinition and saturation we need to find a way to describe ourselves accurately and attractively.

Truth Warrior
02-27-2009, 02:28 PM
"The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." ~ Robert A. Heinlein (1907-1988)

idiom
02-27-2009, 09:47 PM
"The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." ~ Robert A. Heinlein (1907-1988)

It'll sort itself out over time.<IMHO> ;) :D

Athan
02-27-2009, 11:29 PM
Freedom Fighters

idiom
02-28-2009, 12:52 AM
How could you resist voting for the Patriot Party?

GunnyFreedom
02-28-2009, 01:28 AM
I am an American Originalist.

raystone
03-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Just saw this on Republic vs. Democracy..

Constitutional Moderate

ArrestPoliticians
03-01-2009, 03:16 PM
We are libertarians, like the Founding Fathers. However, the L word is a dirty word and can only hurt us. We can either choose to be called Conservatives, since that ideology is reactionary towards the past and our past is libertarian, or we can take the name Constitutionalists, which I like.

GBurr
03-01-2009, 03:20 PM
I try to avoid the collectivist attitude;however, if I do call myself something I like libertarian, Constitutionalist, and Freedom Fighter.

CaseyJones
03-01-2009, 03:27 PM
endangered american