PDA

View Full Version : Points of Time in American History when Freedom was Earned...

ClayTrainor
02-26-2009, 11:19 AM
I'm doing some research for my video and i need some examples of patriots fighting for freedom over the course of history.

So far i have, the founding fathers and the 1776 revoultion

MLK....

i know it's a pathetic list so far... need some more, over the course of American history.

These need to be well-known patriots for the purpose i'll be using them for.

acptulsa
02-26-2009, 11:26 AM
I nominate Andy Jackson vs. The Central Bank.

The very early years of the Labor Movement had some great moments and some great people defying the Robber Barons.

Do they have to have succeeded? Many a great Native chief would fit otherwise. There are instances of tribes not getting moved down here to Indian Territory because of their bravery and steadfastness. The Nez Perces tribe comes to mind. Don't recall the name of that chief, though...

Check into the suffrage movement and Susan B. Anthony.

Does the Texas Revolution offer anyone good for your purpose?

No doubt you want to avoid the Civil War, but you could check earlier in the Abolitionist Movement and see if John Brown is or isn't too radical for the job. The Underground Railroad is also interesting. It would be a good way to remind everyone that not all whites owned slaves or aided and abetted slave owners, too.

At the heart of all the major Supreme Court decisions is a defendant or litigant who made sacrifices to set precedent.

LibertyEagle
02-26-2009, 11:32 AM
MLK was either a Communist, or at the very least a Communist-sympathizer. I wouldn't suggest him as an example. It will turn off a great deal many people.

What about the Scots? You know, Braveheart. :) Oh sorry, I just noticed you wanted examples from American history.

Well, the South was fighting for their freedom in the Civil War.

constituent
02-26-2009, 12:00 PM
It happens everyday.

constituent
02-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Does the Texas Revolution offer anyone good for your purpose?

No, it was way overrated (though certainly it had its moments that make for good stories), and a few american hucksters came and co-opted the whole damned thing anyway.

ClayTrainor
02-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Great suggestions so far...

"Freedom Is Not Given, It Has To Be Earned" is the general theme of this scene... :cool: