PDA

View Full Version : Study: U.S. Could Reap Billions Through Internet Gambling Regulation

JeffreyS
02-26-2009, 10:29 AM
Updated revenue projections show that regulating Internet gambling would generate approximately $52 billion in revenues for the U.S treasury over the next decade. This fact should get lawmakers attention given the state of our economy and need to find resources for critical government programs.

Full Reuters article covering this issue can be found here - http://www.reuters.com/article/internetNews/idUSTRE51O85J20090225

We encourage you to strike while the media attention is hot and contact your member of congress to let him or her know that you support legalizing internet gambling. Visit www.safeandsecureig.org to send an email to your elected representatives and learn more about this important issue.

Thanks.

Jeffrey Sandman
Safe and Secure Internet Gambling Initiative
www.safeandsecureig.org
www.facebook.com/pages/Safe-and-Secure-Internet-Gambling-Initiative/22884927809

ItsTime
02-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Without a doubt. The real money was in promoting online gaming. But since it is illegal in the US to do so they drove that whole market over seas and now they are raking in billions. If they make it legal us promoters will be light years behind the promoters over seas.

gls
02-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Well I don't know about other forms of gambling, but there's no ban on online poker. Just the other day I deposited some funds into my Full Tilt account using my VISA card. Maybe that's because it's considered a game of "skill" as opposed to "chance". I doubt they're based in the US either.

ravedown
02-26-2009, 10:42 AM
legalize it in the US and keep the gov. out of it. explain why does the US Treasury needs to "reap billions"?

PatriotG
02-26-2009, 11:41 AM
Well I don't know about other forms of gambling, but there's no ban on online poker. Just the other day I deposited some funds into my Full Tilt account using my VISA card. Maybe that's because it's considered a game of "skill" as opposed to "chance". I doubt they're based in the US either.

I'm surprised the deposit went thru. I havent been able to play for quite sometime.

The Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (UIGEA), which made it illegal for any American Poker players (in conjunction with a financial institution) to fund an online Poker site account. The legislation was attached as a last minute rider to the SAFE Port Act, which was certain to pass in Congress, and of course it did in 2006.

ever since then anytime I have tried to deposit money by either Credit Card or bank card, it is always denied.

There are workarounds, some site take money orders or have alternative electronic means.

It still suscks nevertheless. I miss playing regularly. The UIGEA was snuck through very nicely by TPTB.

gls
02-26-2009, 11:47 AM
I'm surprised the deposit went thru. I havent been able to play for quite sometime.

The Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (UIGEA), which made it illegal for any American Poker players (in conjunction with a financial institution) to fund an online Poker site account. The legislation was attached as a last minute rider to the SAFE Port Act, which was certain to pass in Congress, and of course it did in 2006.

ever since then anytime I have tried to deposit money by either Credit Card or bank card, it is always denied.

There are workarounds, some site take money orders or have alternative electronic means.

It still suscks nevertheless. I miss playing regularly. The UIGEA was snuck through very nicely by TPTB.

Yes, that's been the case the past few years but it appears that they recently stopped enforcing the law. IIRC the Federal money that was funding the mandate dried up. Anyway, I agree with the poster above: forget taxes and regulations, just legalize it!

PatriotG
02-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Yes, that's been the case the past few years but it appears that they recently stopped enforcing the law. IIRC the Federal money that was funding the mandate dried up. Anyway, I agree with the poster above: forget taxes and regulations, just legalize it!

I agree
Lets Play!!

P.S. Rider Bills should be illegal. Especially if they are completley unrelated to the host legislation.

I still dont understand how these riders get through. I mean I get it. I believe now that most of the politicians dont even read what they vote on, I just dont get why they are not illegal and those responsible for sticking them where they dont belong arent penalized somehow.

I guess Im an idealist.

Krugerrand
02-26-2009, 11:48 AM
legalize it in the US and keep the gov. out of it. explain why does the US Treasury needs to "reap billions"?

Ed Rendell would legalize gambling in toilet stalls if he thought it'd give him more Pennsylvanians' money to spend.

hillbilly123069
02-26-2009, 12:42 PM
They could reap billions in tax revenue off of taxing marijuana

ravedown
02-26-2009, 12:54 PM
They could reap billions in tax revenue off of taxing marijuana

and they are trying to in california...which is hilarious, throw the moral,-drug are evil- argument out for more gov. money...phony bastards.