PDA

View Full Version : Do You Still Feel The Same About The American Flag?

Rael
02-25-2009, 08:55 PM
I no longer get a sense of pride looking at the flag anymore. I feel like I am looking at a corpse. Wondering if anyone else feels this way?

Warrior_of_Freedom
02-25-2009, 08:58 PM
It would be much better if Jesus was on the American flag.<IMHO> ;)

Rael
02-25-2009, 09:03 PM
It would be much better if Jesus was on the American flag.<IMHO> ;)

Did you change your screen name?

Kludge
02-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Don't like the flag anymore. Used to like it as a Patriotic symbol. Hate nationalism, now. Would prefer there to be no National objects (flags, birds, anthems, etc.).

tonesforjonesbones
02-25-2009, 09:36 PM
Too many have died for what the Color is supposed to stand for...I remember those folks when I see the flag. I still like the Stars and Bars too. tones

Original_Intent
02-25-2009, 09:43 PM
I still respect the flag, but "the republic for which it stands" is no longer a republic and no longer worthy of respect. I pledge allegiance to the Constitution now.

LibertyEagle
02-25-2009, 09:52 PM
I guess it depends upon what you think the flag stands for. I think of it as representing the Republic our Founders designed for us.

Anti Federalist
02-25-2009, 09:57 PM
The flag is just a symbol.

The symbol it stands for now, is a perversion of what it should stand for.

I hold allegiance to principles.

tonesforjonesbones
02-25-2009, 10:02 PM
Wasn't there a flag back in the day? tones

heavenlyboy34
02-25-2009, 10:07 PM
Wasn't there a flag back in the day? tones

Matter of fact, yes. Here's a short history (http://www.usa-flag-site.org/history.shtml). This is my favorite American flag, though ;):):D:

http://historical-flag.com/downloads/gadsden.gif

brandon
02-25-2009, 10:14 PM
I like people, ideas, and actions.

I'm not really to fond of symbols or cloth.

canadian4ronpaul
02-25-2009, 10:17 PM
hell, im canadian and i feel patriotic about the american flag. it represents ideas to me more than country (obviously). you shouldnt feel ashamed of your flag, you should be ashamed of your fellow americans, and all of washington DC.

the red white and blue kicks ass.

SimpleName
02-25-2009, 11:18 PM
I still feel SOMETHING towards the flag. I generally dislike symbols, but I do still get a bit of patriotism pent up when I see it waving in the wind. I think of the sacrifices made by Americans to establish their freedom and the inventions of wise Americans. I think about the vast liberation of people that came with the creation of this country (although I must acknowledge slavery...ugh). But just about all of the government-based love has faded. I absolutely despise this government and I wish for its collapse if something drastic doesn't change. Brainwashing, torture, and elimination of civil liberties are great evils of wish I can not endorse in any light. But as I feel like I always am doing on here..."preaching to the choir."

When it comes to the pledge, I do stand, but not for the flag. I take the opportunity to mostly honor soldiers who helped protect this country, the very smart men who founded this nation, and the work of libertarians and Austrian economists alike, with a very special mental thank you to Ron Paul for being an absolute inspiration to me. And I still do get very emotional when the Star Spangled Banner is sung. Not out of respect for government, but because it pumps me up and reminds me that liberty is worth fighting for (as it is the basis of the war in the lyrics) and keeps me from reverting to my apathetic tendencies.

It's odd that after all that I have been through because of the destructive capabilities of this nation, I still find pride in its heritage and its people. Still proud to live in this country and I definitely don't want to move anywhere else at the time being. We are amazingly still more free (and stable, somehow) than the vast majority of countries in the world. So there goes my two cents. Well, 50 cents adjusted for inflation from 1913....

Theocrat
02-25-2009, 11:25 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c5/Defence_of_Fort_M%27Henry_broadside.jpg

This sums up how I feel about the American flag.

Andrew-Austin
02-25-2009, 11:29 PM
I like people, ideas, and actions.

I'm not really to fond of symbols or cloth.

+1

Never cared much for symbolic pieces of cloth, sometimes wonder what it would be like to burn them in public.

pcosmar
02-25-2009, 11:36 PM
I am an Angry American.
I introduced myself as such when I joined this forum. For a time I had hope of restoring some dignity to this country.
I still feel some fondness for the flag, mostly for what I thought it stood for when I was young.
I feel no pride in it today.
Mostly sadness.

Pauls' Revere
02-25-2009, 11:39 PM
Land of the freebie and home of the handout.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
02-26-2009, 12:45 PM
I no longer get a sense of pride looking at the flag anymore. I feel like I am looking at a corpse. Wondering if anyone else feels this way?

A flag is just a symbol of our Civil-Purpose in that it is not self-evidently true and unalienably a natural right. So, this means the flag is just a legal-precedent. Legal-precedence for the sake of legal-precedence is no better than no legal-precedence whatsoever.
Our boys don't die for God, for the flag, or for the nation's economy. They die because they are dying to come home to the enjoyment of eating a cheeseburger.

Deborah K
02-26-2009, 12:56 PM
For me, the American Flag represents life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. The unalienable rights that every veteran - from the Revolution to the Iraqi invasion - believe they are fighting for. The Flag does not represent the government. It represents all that is good in America. The American people.

reduen
02-26-2009, 01:20 PM
I am an Angry American.
I introduced myself as such when I joined this forum. For a time I had hope of restoring some dignity to this country.
I still feel some fondness for the flag, mostly for what I thought it stood for when I was young.
I feel no pride in it today.
Mostly sadness.

This is pretty much me also... Not only angry but mostly sad because of the lives that our country has taken and/or ruined in the name of Democracy... (Both American and Iraqi..)

Too many children have died or are now fatherless or orphans because of our actions.

Yeah mostly sad....:(