PDA

View Full Version : Barack Obama, what the hell does he have to do with Fiction and Film studies?

Warrior_of_Freedom
02-25-2009, 12:53 AM
I have to associate Barack Obama with the "rise of the black man" in America, and it has to relate to "To kill a mocking bird" and "A raisin in the sun" My professor is pretty bias or what? What is the best way to grill Obama in my 10 page essay?

I was thinking of using the only reason he was elected is because of absolute racism from dark people and hatred for the republican party.

BTW, What constitutes a "political generalities"

Kotin
02-25-2009, 01:34 AM
I agree.. I have never in my life seen the State of The Union Address on BET.

Golding
02-25-2009, 02:30 AM
If you can't find a way out of the irrelevant assignment, just relate to how people bought into the positive hype of Obama and compare it to how people bought into the negative hype of Boo Radley. Just like how Boo Radley deserved to be looked at like any other human being, Obama deserves to be scrutinized just like any other politician. And yet, because people have such trouble looking past the mythology, those things never quite seem to happen.

Rael
02-25-2009, 02:31 AM
I have to associate Barack Obama with the "rise of the black man" in America, and it has to relate to "To kill a mocking bird" and "A raisin in the sun" My professor is pretty bias or what? What is the best way to grill Obama in my 10 page essay?

I was thinking of using the only reason he was elected is because of absolute racism from dark people and hatred for the republican party.

BTW, What constitutes a "political generalities"

You could just say that he got his job because of affirmative action.

Or perhaps that Obama winning the presidency is not because of the "rise of the black man", but because of the decline of our civilization.

You could compare this alleged, "rise of the black man" with statistics showing incarceration and high school graduation rates for black males.

I'm really interested in seeing what you write. I love opportunities to fuck with teachers.

Omphfullas Zamboni
02-25-2009, 03:03 AM
If you can't find a way out of the irrelevant assignment, just relate to how people bought into the positive hype of Obama and compare it to how people bought into the negative hype of Boo Radley. Just like how Boo Radley deserved to be looked at like any other human being, Obama deserves to be scrutinized just like any other politician. And yet, because people have such trouble looking past the mythology, those things never quite seem to happen.

I concur.

cindy25
02-25-2009, 06:18 AM
he won because the black vote combined with anti-war vote is unbeatable in most Democratic primaries. Hillary voted for the war to please her New York City Jews, and with an eye to November.

in most southern states the whites are 90% Republican and the blacks 95% Democratic.

and Obama is lucky. had the stock market crashed in May then Romney would have been nominated and won. and if the crash was after the election it would President McCain.

had Jeremiah Wright came out 1 month earlier it would be President Hillary now.

acptulsa
02-25-2009, 06:49 AM
What does the Obama campaign have to do with fiction? Quite a lot, actually. I could write pages on that...

Barack Obama doesn't "drive a man around in his limousine". He's in the back of the limousine. When the question comes up, "would you like to take the drive, sir?" he doesn't ask it he answers it. He does give hope to people who used to think hope a luxury they couldn't afford. And his presence in the White House certainly puts paid to the lie that some neighborhoods are "too good" for ethnic people. That said, he sure doesn't look poised to actually do any other good for the downtrodden who did so much to put him in power.

That could be an interesting dichotomy on which to base your paper...

angelatc
02-25-2009, 08:22 AM

Oh that's very good!

Expatriate
02-26-2009, 12:05 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Best idea so far IMO.

reaver
02-26-2009, 01:03 AM
I had to look up the synopsis to A Raisin in the Sun because I only read it in high school... but if you were to relate Barry to a character in that story it could be Walter Lee Younger.
He is the eldest male in the family and had big dreams for that $10,000 insurance check.
His mother was opposed to his ideas for ethical reasons and instead puts a down payment on an expensive home in a white neighborhood.
Then she feels guilty and says "I been doing to you what the rest of the world been doing to you" and gives him the money, stipulating nearly half go to one of the kids education (beneatha I think).
He immediately invests it in his own agenda, the liquor store, which fails when Bobo comes and says that Willy ran off with the money.
So now despite the financial hardship they are surely in for they go ahead and move into the house after being too prideful to take a buy out.

I'm not going to write your paper for you but that's ripe material right there. Guys got high hopes, come crashing down, and he vows to continue living beyond his means. Best of luck.