PDA

View Full Version : Calif. lawmaker introduces bill to legalize pot

sluggo
02-24-2009, 05:20 PM
02-23) 13:35 PST San Francisco, CA (AP) --
A state legislator is reviving the debate about legalizing marijuana as a way of raising money for cash-strapped state and local governments.
Assemblyman Tom Ammiano, a San Francisco Democrat, introduced a bill Monday that if approved by the California Legislature would put pot on the same legal footing as alcohol. Adults over the age of 21 would be allowed to buy it, and driving under the influence of marijuana would be prohibited.
Under Ammiano's proposal, which has been endorsed by some law enforcement officials, pot would be taxed at a rate of $50 per ounce and bring an estimated $1 billion into state coffers.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/02/23/state/n133531S47.DTL&type=printable

The tax is a bit too high, but I suppose it would be a giant step in the right direction.

Xenophage
02-24-2009, 06:00 PM
I'm not sure. It sounds good, but nothing is *essentially* changed. The government is not relinquishing any power, its just changing its application of force.

If a slave-owner one day allows you to do something you normally haven't been allowed to do, with a few restrictions, do you become any less of a slave?

sluggo
02-24-2009, 06:13 PM
I'm not sure. It sounds good, but nothing is *essentially* changed. The government is not relinquishing any power, its just changing its application of force.

If a slave-owner one day allows you to do something you normally haven't been allowed to do, with a few restrictions, do you become any less of a slave?

You make a good point, but I would argue that while it is not ideal, it is one step closer to freedom.

phill4paul
02-24-2009, 06:20 PM
You make a good point, but I would argue that while it is not ideal, it is one step closer to freedom.

It matters not. The Federal Government gives not a shit what a state chooses to do. It is meaningless legislature, unless the state also legislates Federal Government involvement by threatening secession.

surf
02-24-2009, 06:23 PM
tax and regulate.... sos. oh well, better than alternative (lock up and throw away the key)

sluggo
02-24-2009, 06:35 PM
It's a start. I guess any headway made towards personal freedom is a bad thing.

nodope0695
02-24-2009, 06:43 PM
was the bill written on hemp paper?

dannno
02-24-2009, 06:45 PM

Being locked up in a prison < Being forced to pay a tax that is comparable to sales tax

phill4paul
02-24-2009, 06:48 PM
It's a start. I guess any headway made towards personal freedom is a bad thing.

It is if it is wasted effort.

How has their efforts to legalized medical marijuana helped.

http://krogerlawgroup.com/medical-marijuana.html

"Medical Marijuana

The federal government has resisted any change to marijuana's illegal status at the federal level. The Supreme Court ruled in 2005 in Raich v. Gonzales that the federal government can prosecute medical marijuana patients, even in states with compassionate use laws, and several medical marijuana dispensaries in California have since been subject to Drug Enforcement Administration raids."

Unless his legislation includes mandates that the Federal Government risks a secession of the state of California then all it does is lull citizens of the state into a sense of false security.

dannno
02-24-2009, 06:56 PM
It is if it is wasted effort.

How has their efforts to legalized medical marijuana helped.

http://krogerlawgroup.com/medical-marijuana.html

"Medical Marijuana

The federal government has resisted any change to marijuana's illegal status at the federal level. The Supreme Court ruled in 2005 in Raich v. Gonzales that the federal government can prosecute medical marijuana patients, even in states with compassionate use laws, and several medical marijuana dispensaries in California have since been subject to Drug Enforcement Administration raids."

Unless his legislation includes mandates that the Federal Government risks a secession of the state of California then all it does is lull citizens of the state into a sense of false security.

Can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs.

phill4paul
02-24-2009, 06:59 PM
Can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs.

Without the cheese, ham and salsa its only scrambled eggs.:)