PDA

View Full Version : Would decriminilization of marijuana be enough?

rational thinker
02-24-2009, 02:49 PM
Legalization and decriminalization are a bit different.

As far as I understand it, the main difference is that if it's decriminalized you can still be fined, but not arrested, whereas with legalization you can't be fined or arrested, no matter how much you possess or grow.

Decriminalization is not enough. You can't use, purchase, grow, or sell cannabis, but if you have less than one ounce on you, you will have to pay a fine. Not very effective, but at least it's a step.

Legalization will take away this paradox.

In Massachusetts it is decriminalized, and as it stands now, if you have an ounce or less it gets taken away and you receive a $100 ticket. Anything more than an ounce is criminal.

Feenix566
02-24-2009, 02:51 PM
The biggest problem associated with the War on Drugs is the fact that the illegal drug trade provides the funding for every street gang in America. Until drugs are available in liquor stores, that's not gonna change.

So no, it's not enough. But it's a step in the right direction.

Bruno
02-24-2009, 02:54 PM
The biggest problem associated with the War on Drugs is the fact that the illegal drug trade provides the funding for every street gang in America. Until drugs are available in liquor stores, that's not gonna change.

So no, it's not enough. But it's a step in the right direction.

Let's keep the liquor in the liquor stores, and the drugs in the drug stores. ;)

I enjoyed the coffeeshops in Amsterdam which did not sell beer or liquor over the ones that sold beer and cannabis. Better clientele.

1000-points-of-fright
02-24-2009, 02:58 PM
decriminalization is a stupid concept. Like being kind of pregnant. Something is either legal or it's not. Plus, if it's legal it can be taxed.

Bruno
02-24-2009, 03:04 PM
decriminalization is a stupid concept. Like being kind of pregnant. Something is either legal or it's not. Plus, if it's legal it can be taxed.

Is it legal to breathe? No, its just not illegal to breathe. Breathing is not taxed.

I think the argument there is that it shouldn't be a crime to do what you want, grow what you want, sell/barter what you want, as long as it doesn't affect anyone else. I can grow roses or vegetables in my yard all I want, and they are neither legal (no law against it) nor illegal.

rational thinker
02-24-2009, 03:06 PM
I think the argument there is that it shouldn't be a crime to do what you want, grow what you want, sell/barter what you want, as long as it doesn't affect anyone else. I can grow roses or vegetables in my yard all I want, and they are neither legal (no law against it) nor illegal.

Potatoes are legal, and I eat potatoes, but that hasn't inspired me to grow them. I eat chicken, and eggs, but I don't have a chicken coop in my apartment.

People will try to grow their own weed, and will very, very quickly realize that they have no idea what they're doing, don't have space for a greenhouse/grow room, the stuff they do manage to grow is awful, and the price of higher quality, professionally grown weed has fallen through the floor.

Edit: Nevermind, I misunderstood your argument. Sorry.

Scofield
02-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Make it legal, completely legal.

Allow farmers (and/or individuals) to grow it and allow them to send it to market. Don't tax it, don't subsidize it, don't nationalize it. In fact, take the government out of the equation completely.

Bruno
02-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Potatoes are legal, and I eat potatoes, but that hasn't inspired me to grow them. I eat chicken, and eggs, but I don't have a chicken coop in my apartment.

People will try to grow their own weed, and will very, very quickly realize that they have no idea what they're doing, don't have space for a greenhouse/grow room, the stuff they do manage to grow is awful, and the price of higher quality, professionally grown weed has fallen through the floor.

Edit: Nevermind, I misunderstood your argument. Sorry.

just about to comment then saw your edit.

You're right, not everyone will be able to grow it well, especially indoors. Outdoors in many climates it is extremely easy, nature and a little nuturing will do all the work.

Decriminalization or legalization could both have the ability to drop the prices to 25% of what they are now. It is the most profitable drug currently. One $5 (or free) quality seed could produced a $5,000 harvest outdoors with no overhead.

Make it legal, completely legal.

Allow farmers (and/or individuals) to grow it and allow them to send it to market. Don't tax it, don't subsidize it, don't nationalize it. In fact, take the government out of the equation completely.

I agree, though the likelyhood of that happening is far more remote than letting it be taxed. It used to be illegal to gamble, now gambling is legal all over. However, it is legal and taxed.

You'd think the $50 Billion saved from eliminating the funding of the Drug War (on People) would be enough, but it would surely be taxed, just like is being proposed in CA.

nate895
02-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Since marijuana can't be "illegal" it can only be "criminal," I believe "decriminalized" is a better term. Calling something "legalization" implies the government had the authority to make it illegal in the first place.

jkr
02-24-2009, 03:37 PM
nope, it needs to be completly legal to grow your own and (within reason) use "publicly"
AND
hemp must be grown...by EVERYONE. let us pay taxes with our stalks...biofuel.

encourage the creation of wealth ie growing things- let us produce

NO DRUG TESTING DISCRIMINATION!

Let the "proper citizens" sitting in prison for such dubious cause be exonerated

you can't give it to someone;s kid w/o the threat of thier parents kicking your azz if they want(not your kid)

let THE FREE MARKET be FREE

Treat it as much like any other crop as possible ie spinach

nate895
02-24-2009, 05:08 PM
nope, it needs to be completly legal to grow your own and (within reason) use "publicly"
AND
hemp must be grown...by EVERYONE. let us pay taxes with our stalks...biofuel.

encourage the creation of wealth ie growing things- let us produce

NO DRUG TESTING DISCRIMINATION!

Let the "proper citizens" sitting in prison for such dubious cause be exonerated

you can't give it to someone;s kid w/o the threat of thier parents kicking your azz if they want(not your kid)

let THE FREE MARKET be FREE

Treat it as much like any other crop as possible ie spinach

Businesses still have the freedom of association, and since you don't have to work there, they should be able to drug test.

constituent
02-24-2009, 05:10 PM
I think the argument there is that it shouldn't be a crime to do what you want, grow what you want, sell/barter what you want, as long as it doesn't affect anyone else.

and that, my friends, is that.

SimpleName
02-24-2009, 06:04 PM
I'd rather it be legalized and taxed. So much safer that way. Plus, just by it being legal it will eliminate the stigma quicker. As you can see, alcohol today is just natural and huge portions of the public drinks. No one gives a damn either. Hopefully by legalizing it, such a fate would come for pot.

nate895
02-24-2009, 06:10 PM
I'd rather it be legalized and taxed. So much safer that way. Plus, just by it being legal it will eliminate the stigma quicker. As you can see, alcohol today is just natural and huge portions of the public drinks. No one gives a damn either. Hopefully by legalizing it, such a fate would come for pot.

Once again, with legalization, you are implying the government had the authority to make it truly "illegal." They only made it "criminal."

Scofield
02-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Taxing it would be unconstitutional as well as completely anti-free market.

By taxing cannabis, farmers are going to be put at a disadvantage compared to other crop farmers. In a free market, taxing cannabis (alcohol, gas, and cigarettes as well) would not work, as that puts the farmers (or manufacturers) at the disadvantage, on purpose.

When you tax those items, you increase their prices, and thus those higher prices change the sales value of the product. If the tax is too high, people won't buy it, thus the farmers aren't going to be able to continue on with their businesses. All the while, the wheat farmer, with his goods not being taxed, can continue on selling his product without worry that the government is going to hinder his business (this is in a free market society, not current America).