PDA

View Full Version : Marijuana money bomb

rossl
02-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Just spreading the word about this...

A state representative in California introduced a bill to legalize the sale and taxation of marijuana to people over 21. Link: http://www.sacbee.com/breaking/story/1646399.html

There is an effort to have a mini-moneybomb for him. $10,000 is the goal, and well over $100 has supposedly been raised so far.

I learned about this here: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/2/23/16412/9368

You can donate through ActBlue here: https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/entity/18158

If you don't want to donate through ActBlue, here is Tom Ammanio's (they guy who introduced the bill) website: http://www.tomammiano.com/

The thought behind the moneybomb is that if $10,000 or more - or even slightly less than that - is raised in the day after the bill was introduced, it would show the congressman and anyone else paying attention that he has substantial and committed support.

What do you guys think? Are you going to donate?

Kotin
02-23-2009, 04:42 PM
I am thinking about it.

Andrew-Austin
02-23-2009, 04:50 PM
I don't live in California, income is tight.

dannno
02-23-2009, 05:00 PM
He's a Democrat but at least he's being courageous on this issue.

I like Ron Paul's idea of not taxing it, but this would only be taxing it at the state level which is slightly more acceptable.

I don't know why they want to tax it at $50/oz tho.. I mean, can you imagine if they taxed tomatoes at $50/oz?? You'd be paying $800 in taxes for a pound of tomatoes!!

I donated anyway, this criminalization has got to stop.

rossl
02-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Personally, I think the taxation is a secondary issue at this point. If this bill passes - or even gets a lot of support but ultimately fails - it will be a huge step forward for legalizing marijuana.

muzzled dogg
02-23-2009, 05:07 PM
i gave to norml after they managed to decrim in my state

Kotin
02-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Personally, I think the taxation is a secondary issue at this point. If this bill passes - or even gets a lot of support but ultimately fails - it will be a huge step forward for legalizing marijuana.

its true.. we need the precedence of having a state completely decriminalize..

pcosmar
02-23-2009, 05:11 PM
He's a Democrat but at least he's being courageous on this issue.

I like Ron Paul's idea of not taxing it, but this would only be taxing it at the state level which is slightly more acceptable.

I don't know why they want to tax it at $50/oz tho.. I mean, can you imagine if they taxed tomatoes at $50/oz?? You'd be paying $800 in taxes for a pound of tomatoes!!

I donated anyway, this criminalization has got to stop.

Ah, The state as your mother, your father, and your dealer.

Andrew-Austin
02-23-2009, 05:12 PM
I don't know why they want to tax it at $50/oz tho..

Holy shit that is ridiculous. Those who would sell pot in stores with such a tax, could not even compete with street dealers anyways.

Xenophage
02-23-2009, 05:23 PM
I don't want to tax it. I wouldn't support the bill.

torchbearer
02-23-2009, 05:25 PM
Holy shit that is ridiculous. Those who would sell pot in stores with such a tax, could not even compete with street dealers anyways.

Yeah, but if you bought it from a street dealer, with this bill, no one would know where you go it.. so you couldn't be hassled for smoking it.

dannno
02-23-2009, 05:25 PM

Ya, but in this case the 'street dealers' don't go to jail. They aren't a part of the black market so much as the gray market.. They will need to tax at a more reasonable level to get rid of the gray market.

On the other hand, it's essentially a $6.25 tax per eighth, which currently sells for $50-$60, so as long as they aren't charging sales tax, the stores could still lower their prices down to around $20/eighth outdoor, $25-$30/eighth indoor, then tax it up to $26.25-$36.25 and still sell for much lower than current street prices, and taxes would be about the same as sales tax.

torchbearer
02-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Reading the thread title, I thought we were chipping in to have a bonfire.
http://www.suprmchaos.com/mexico1_082802.jpg

dannno
02-23-2009, 05:27 PM
I don't want to tax it. I wouldn't support the bill.

The bill means that people don't go to jail for selling it. Or get a stupid $100 fine for possession.

This is also the state taxing it, not the Feds.

torchbearer
02-23-2009, 05:28 PM
Ya, but in this case the 'street dealers' don't go to jail. They aren't a part of the black market so much as the gray market.. They will need to tax at a more reasonable level to get rid of the gray market.

On the other hand, it's essentially a $6.25 tax per eighth, which currently sells for $50-$60, so as long as they aren't charging sales tax, the stores could still lower their prices down to around $20/eighth outdoor, $25-$30/eighth indoor, then tax it up to $26.25-$36.25 and still sell for much lower than current street prices, and taxes would be about the same as sales tax.

Imagine being able to open a business where people could come chill and eat?
Or movie theaters... etc...
There is a time and season for everything under heaven. ;)