PDA

View Full Version : Stockpiling Food Indicator

PatriotOne
02-22-2009, 01:51 AM
I found this interesting. I went grocery shopping at Winco last week and there was a big display of those 5 gallon food grade buckets w/lids right inside the front doors ($5.50 each). These were the kind of buckets used to stockpile food with.

I have NEVER seen these things sold at a grocery store before. It indicated to me that there is now a demand for them, which indicates to me that more and more people in the general public is stockpiling...not just us "conspiracy theorists".

My thoughts were when I saw those things were, "dayum, I better hurry up and get my stockpiling done before the rest of the people figure this stuff out" :eek:.

tangent4ronpaul
02-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Those same buckets have been spotted in isle end displays in hardware stores. (you want the ones that have a number "2" on the bottom - those are food grade). So yes, positive indicator.

As a negative indicator, I have not seen uber sized bags of grains/legumes or boxes of instant milk in ANY major chain grocery store in quite some time. The only places that are carrying those are specialty (ethnic) groceries, places like Sams Club and COSTCO and wholesale grocery distributors. As well as the usual sources - canaries, Amish and Mennonite run stores, food co-ops, and farm feed places as well as the bulk food survival places on the net. Sometimes health food stores.

-t

JenH88
02-22-2009, 06:41 PM
Last week at Kroger they were selling canned food and such by the case.. I've never seen this before at Kroger.. the sale had said "Please do not open cases, regular product can be found in isle. Stock up now and save." The sale is now over, and the cases are gone.. I had pointed it out to my man and said "you think they're trying to say something?" LOL.. either that or they just had an overstock to get rid of.. either way it was def. a little odd..

Sandra
02-22-2009, 06:45 PM
During recessions, bulk sales are a popular push. Did anybody have a Warehouse Foods in their area during the 70's?

LibertyEagle
02-22-2009, 06:46 PM
It kinda scares me when I see regular people getting freaked out. Ya know?

bander87
02-22-2009, 07:41 PM

Haha! So are you a regular person too?

Scribbler de Stebbing
02-23-2009, 08:51 PM

As opposed to us, who are always freaked out. ;-)

Cub had the canned-food-by-the-case sale last week too. I didn't go overboard, but maybe should have. I just get some extra every week. Even if the S doesn't HTF, food is something you always need.

LibertyEagle
02-23-2009, 09:13 PM
Haha! So are you a regular person too?

Yeah, but you know what I mean. I hope. I mean, we've seen those whole thing coming down, while the masses have just remained oblivious.

slacker921
02-23-2009, 09:58 PM
I posted my "oh shit" moment on here just after BHO took office - I was in line behind an old guy with a buggy full of toilet paper, beef jerky, coffee, chewing tobacco (5 or 6 pounds if I remember). It was an obvious shtf run.

I've seen several since then.. people with buggies full of dried beans, rice, sugar, canned goods, etc. After one of them checked out and left I asked the cashier if she's seen a lot of that lately and she said "yep".

I also had a coworker tell me he'd seen some really scary stuff on FOX the other day (celente on Glen Beck show) and was really starting to get worried. People are starting to realize this isn't just a recession and the "fundamentals" aren't sound (despite what McCain said). They know all it would take is a "terrorist attack" or Israel attacking Iran or something like that and we'd be in uncharted territory.