PDA

View Full Version : Funding Public Highways (local/state/federal)

LibForestPaul
02-21-2009, 01:58 PM
Public Highways (any federal /state/locall)
How should maintenance and constuction of highways be financed?

Truth Warrior
02-21-2009, 02:06 PM
Who ACTUALLY builds and maintains the "public" highways? Answer: People!

Who ACTUALLY pays for building and maintaining the "public" highways? Answer: People!

Who is government? Answer: People! There ain't NO "MAGIC", there's JUST people.

heavenlyboy34
02-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Roads and highways should be paid for by those that use them. Pork-laden road projects are for barbarians. ;)

mconder
02-21-2009, 03:22 PM
Privately operated electronic and conventional toll roads for highways. Other roads should be funded at the county and city level by auto taxes and sales taxes.

mconder
02-21-2009, 03:25 PM

There's the people who fund government and the people who benefit from it.

Truth Warrior
02-21-2009, 03:28 PM
There's the people who fund government and the people who benefit from it. Still NO MAGIC, just people. That's all there is.

;) :)

mconder
02-21-2009, 03:31 PM
The magic is if your part of the looting class you get to rob the producers and tell them it's for their own good.

Rael
02-21-2009, 03:34 PM
I have no objection to the government providing basic infrastructure including roads. I do think the government was within its right to create the interstate highway infrastructure, but now that it is in place, its maintenance should be turned over to the states. I think each state should choose its own method of taxation

Kludge
02-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Increase tolls.

heavenlyboy34
02-21-2009, 04:33 PM
I have no objection to the government providing basic infrastructure including roads. I do think the government was within its right to create the interstate highway infrastructure, but now that it is in place, its maintenance should be turned over to the states. I think each state should choose its own method of taxation

And where is that (government "infrastructure" projects) mentioned in the constitution? ;)

heavenlyboy34
02-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Who ACTUALLY builds and maintains the "public" highways? Answer: People!

Who ACTUALLY pays for building and maintaining the "public" highways? Answer: People!

qft! I sometimes feel like I'm just pissing in the wind when I try to explain this to people. :(

Truth Warrior
02-21-2009, 04:37 PM
qft! I sometimes feel like I'm just pissing in the wind when I try to explain this to people. :( You are. :D

TonySutton
02-21-2009, 04:44 PM
At the federal level - ZERO TAX

At the state level - Use Tax (tolls) paid by those who use interstates

At the county/city level - all other roads, paid for however the locals decide

Matt Collins
02-21-2009, 08:01 PM
All highways should be sold off to the highest bidder, and the funds should be used to pay down the government debt.

Matt Collins
02-21-2009, 08:01 PM
And where is that (government "infrastructure" projects) mentioned in the constitution? ;)Do "postal roads" count? :confused:

heavenlyboy34
02-21-2009, 08:02 PM
You are. :D

lol! ;) ...:(

axiomata
02-22-2009, 12:58 AM
User fees!

noxagol
02-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Roads, as all goods and services, are better provided by private entities who must undergo profit-loss evaluations. This evaluation, rather the lacking of, is the main reason government fails at everything it does. It does not have profit and it does not have loss, it has only arbitrary decisions made by people who have no clue what they are making decisions on. If a business is unprofitable, they are not satisfying customer demands or they are being excessively wasteful, in both cases the company will go out of business which is good for society because it ends the waste and/or puts the control of said good and/or service into the hands of someone who is hopefully more capable. Not so with government, it only fails when they say it fails and this is wholly dependent on the politicians whims.

The_Orlonater
02-22-2009, 11:54 AM
All highways should be sold off to the highest bidder, and the funds should be used to pay down the government debt.

+1

In the meantime, before half of them collapse, shouldn't they be maintained one last time?