PDA

View Full Version : Breast cancer biology ‘changing’

freeSpeach
02-20-2009, 07:08 PM
Lifestyle changes and screening have shifted the type of breast cancers women are diagnosed with over the past couple of decades, research suggests.

Women are now more likely to have hormone-dependent, slow-growing tumours, a comparison of tissue samples from the 1980s and 1990s shows.

The Scottish researchers also found improved survival over time, the British Journal of Cancer reported.

More than 40,000 women are diagnosed with breast cancer in the UK annually.

Previous studies have suggested that breast cancers may be more commonly hormone-dependent than in the past.
http://votetags.info/2009/02/breast-cancer-biology-changing/

M House
02-20-2009, 07:20 PM
I think most breast cancers are endocrine affected as well. In fact testosterone is FDA approved as possible treatment I believe. However doctors are too busy using aromatase inhibitors to simply play around a bit with endocrinology.

M House
02-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Something to note though breasts are massive endocrine structures with several different types of tissues connected to the lymphatic system. For awhile treatment involved removing key lymph nodes. However this has been shown in several studies to actually decrease survival and is beginning to fall out of favor. I kinda think breast tissue is potentially very flexible in being destroyed and created. I mean they do secrete antigens one major one is the ironically named prostate specific antigen or PSA.