PDA

View Full Version : Nephew's birthday present

Elwar
02-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Ok, my nephew's birthday is in mid-march and usually on his birthday I get him something educational while for Christmas I get him something cool/fun (like a video game or electronic device).
One year I got him a single share in McDonalds at http://www.oneshare.com (he becomes a stockholder and gets their quarterly updates, usually along with a free hamburger or something). Other years I've bought him books or gift cert to Barnes and Nobles. etc.

This year I was thinking of a precious metal, more so he can watch the price go up. I was thinking silver (gift around $50).

Any ideas?

Andromeda
02-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Getting a share or so in silver would actually be a good idea with the way the economy is heading. Commodities are the way to go because silver is silver and the dollar is quickly becoming worthless.

Kludge
02-20-2009, 03:54 PM
Stossel In The Classroom? :p

Bruno
02-20-2009, 03:54 PM
My wife and I have also thought about giving the nephews and nieces some silver as gifts. They get so many toys they will barely remember when they are older, why not some silver?

Buy coins in the year they were born or the year in which you give it to them.

pinkmandy
02-20-2009, 09:36 PM
I think that's a great idea. If you end up going the toy route they have great ones (and quite unusual) at www.fatbraintoys.com

SimpleName
02-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Good job on bringing the kid up right (I realize he is a nephew, but still.) Educating children is the most ignored task in society, despite all the compulsory schooling and all the nonsense push for everyone to get a college degree. Maybe I'd have an easier time educating myself if my parents and family used the same method you are taking. I should definitely take this up with my pre-teen brother, guiding him to respect liberty and giving him the knowledge to educate himself. I can't wait to someday teach my own children and make them a caring, accepting, and respectful human being. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and caring to your nephew as well as society in general. I love both of those ideas. The Oneshare sounds great. Investment in silver sounds even better. Otherwise, books obviously work wonders as well. And possibly even the Home Course from Mises when he is older if he seems inclined to such subjects. I know I've always wanted it.

trey4sports
02-24-2009, 05:02 PM
how old is he? i realize your trying to do a nice thing but if i were 7 and i got a share in mcdonalds id be pissed.