PDA

View Full Version : Worst defenders of liberty!

Xenophage
02-20-2009, 01:14 PM
My own version of the other poll that's up here. Vote for the person you think has damaged the credibility of the freedom movement the most, despite being outspokenly in favor of freedom.

If they aren't listed, write em in!

Note: I have listed people that are controversial, and they are not all necessarily people that I feel damaged the movement.

constitutional
02-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Sean Hannity.

Pennsylvania
02-20-2009, 01:16 PM
Sean Hannity.

I was thinking that just before I scrolled down to see this. I agree.

Xenophage
02-20-2009, 01:18 PM
I don't think Sean Hannity counts, does he?

I guess if I'm going to put Reagan down I could put Hannity down.

pcosmar
02-20-2009, 01:18 PM
The Gop followed closely by the Democrats.
I can think of any one person, but several groups of people come to mind.

Pennsylvania
02-20-2009, 01:20 PM

They do kind of go hand in hand, that's why I picked reagan on the poll. Reagan's name is always being dropped on the You're-a-Great-American Show

heavenlyboy34
02-20-2009, 01:20 PM
Reagan, Limbaugh, Hannity, O'Reily-4 way tie. :p:mad:

Xenophage
02-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Yeah, I was just thinking "iconic figures" and Hannity is more of an "ironic figure".

heavenlyboy34
02-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Yeah, I was just thinking "iconic figures" and Hannity is more of an "ironic figure".

lol!!:D;)

Young Paleocon
I voted Reagan, yet I think a truly systemic death blow was dealt by the neoconservative interlopers who interred the Republican party in the mid 20th century. These include William F. Buckley, Irving Krystal, and the likes of these people. This grounded out the Old Right and murdered the mainstream influence we had.

pcosmar

I can't blame Reagan as much as the GOP that saddled him with Bush and opposed much of what he tried to do. I believe his heart was in the right place, but he was hamstrung by TPTB.

Xenophage
02-20-2009, 01:28 PM
I can't blame Reagan as much as the GOP that saddled him with Bush and opposed much of what he tried to do. I believe his heart was in the right place, but he was hamstrung by TPTB.

I actually admire Reagan as a human being.

I do think he damaged our credibility by failing to follow through on rhetoric - and, in fact, directly contradicting it over and over again.

Still, he wasn't as horrible as President as anyone else since the 20's. I also think he was our greatest orator.

Freedom 4 all
02-20-2009, 01:50 PM
You can't call a badge licking statist like Hannity a poor defender of freedom. That's like saying a 4 year old girl is a poor NFL quarterback.

pcosmar
02-20-2009, 01:54 PM
You can't call a badge licking statist like Hannity a poor defender of freedom. That's like saying a 4 year old girl is a poor NFL quarterback.

QFT
:cool:

Pennsylvania
02-20-2009, 01:54 PM

4 year old girls don't claim to be quarterbacks. Hannity has claimed to be a libertarian.

Feenix566
02-20-2009, 01:57 PM
I voted for Lew Rockwell because that guy never has anything constructive to say. All he does is bitch, bitch, bitch.

I can't believe no one said George W. Bush yet. I mean come on, the guy's like, "Yeah, I totally love free markets and fiscal responsibility. That's why I love the bank bailouts and the medicare prescription drug benefit!"

:facepalm

mconder
02-20-2009, 01:57 PM
How come Alex Jones is not an option?

Kludge
02-20-2009, 02:05 PM
Ronald Reagan, Alan Greenspan, and "Dubya" probably hurt our credibility the most. Of course, I'm talking about false/lazy reporting when I convict them.

In intellectual discussions though, Ayn Rand's focus on selfishness really fucks up our credibility (and by "our" credibility, I mean my own), especially among liberals (this is coming from someone who not too long ago adored Rand). She's truly heartless, not just libertarian. It hurts our credibility when we're associated with selfishness and egoism. I really wish she would have stopped talking philosophy, clarify her positions more, and relate it more to social/political issues, and how GOVERNMENT shouldn't be involved in charity, instead of making altruists out to be unethical bags of shit.

Militant Christians damage the true conservative image, militant atheists (and militant anarchists) damage the libertarian image, and militant conspiracy theorists damage the "liberty" image.

Survivalists, militiamen, and gold bugs used to damage the libertarian image in the 70's and 80's when it wasn't accepted by the Public, but have been in the news more and are able to clarify their positions.

That said, were militant pacifism to become associated with libertarianism, it would probably be harmful to the libertarian label.

Xenophage
02-20-2009, 02:05 PM
How come Alex Jones is not an option?

Didn't think of him! Shoulda put him down... damn it.

Xenophage
02-20-2009, 02:07 PM
Ronald Reagan, Alan Greenspan, and "Dubya" probably hurt our credibility the most. Of course, I'm talking about false/lazy reporting when I convict them.

In intellectual discussions though, Ayn Rand's focus on selfishness really fucks up our credibility (and by "our" credibility, I mean my own), especially among liberals (this is coming from someone who not too long ago adored Rand). She's truly heartless, not just libertarian. It hurts our credibility when we're associated with selfishness and egoism. I really wish she would have stopped talking philosophy, clarify her positions more, and relate it more to social/political issues, and how GOVERNMENT shouldn't be involved in charity, instead of making altruists out to be unethical bags of shit.

Militant Christians damage the true conservative image, militant atheists (and militant anarchists) damage the libertarian image, and militant conspiracy theorists damage the "liberty" image.

Survivalists, militiamen, and gold bugs used to damage the libertarian image in the 70's and 80's when it wasn't accepted by the Public, but have been in the news more and are able to clarify their positions.

That said, were militant pacifism to become associated with libertarianism, it would probably be harmful to the libertarian label.

I know your opinions of Rand are widely shared, so I put her down, although I'm an Objectivist :)

Freedom 4 all
02-20-2009, 02:09 PM
I voted for Lew Rockwell because that guy never has anything constructive to say. All he does is bitch, bitch, bitch.

I can't believe no one said George W. Bush yet. I mean come on, the guy's like, "Yeah, I totally love free markets and fiscal responsibility. That's why I love the bank bailouts and the medicare prescription drug benefit!"

:facepalm

GWB isn't on the list for the same reason as Hannity.

LibForestPaul
02-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Baah baah!