PDA

View Full Version : Pac Man Can Only Consume so Much

MortaLiberty
02-20-2009, 12:57 PM
I just got this letter published in my newspaper here in West Virginia. I hope you guys like it.

“Pac Man Can Only Consume So Much”

Despite the scuffles in the legislature, the stimulus bill was inevitable. The arguments were purely a mockery and a show. One side wants more money while the other side wants less, but by the time both sides have had their visits to Uncle Sam’s change jar, we’ll probably have a larger package at our door. It will be approved, and the American people will each be given a quarter to deposit in this arcade game in hopes of restarting this Pac-Man Economy and getting everyone to start running from ghosts and consuming again.

The ghosts in pursuit are inflation, devaluation of the dollar, and a haunting recession. Some apparently believe that if we keep consuming that we’ll evade the ghosts, reach a higher level, and the ghosts get locked up once more. However, we must learn that they always return, gain vigor and intensity, and ultimately succeed.

The stimulus bill may ostensibly be about job-creation, but the letter of the bill is more about credit-creation, or credit repair, and getting people to start borrowing and spending like they were.

The fog is still in the air from just years ago of columnists grumbling about the problem being too little saving, now everyone is convinced that our problem is that people are starting to save more in this recession. I understand. When one gets Pac Man to start consuming, riding the wave is the only thing to do until the ghosts catch up. However, ultimately one will have to restart, and it’s always painful. We will have to cope with inflation, dollar depreciation, and the subsequent recession that’s only being made more critical by this massive government expenditure.

The citizens that will truly be hurt are the ones that have been responsible because their hard work will go to helping the corrupt. Their savings will be flattened by the dollar losing value and stretched thinner by the rising prices of goods. More people will lose their jobs. American stocks will weaken. American banks will decline. It will be what needed to happen initially, only made much worse when the government debt needs to be paid to their creditor just as any other due, except we’ll all share in paying that one as well as our own.

Alea iacta est (The Die has been Cast)—Shakespeare’s Caesarian exclamation stains my thoughts as I watch this spectacle. It’s as if the governments that control my generation’s fate are at the table, and they have tossed the die into the ring while everyone waits.

My generation, which isn’t so far invested in the game, waits by the exit. Our lone optimism is that we won’t be mauled and mangled by the manic stampede when the die rests and the result is seen.

A. Havnes
02-24-2009, 08:17 AM
I love this article! The little nerd inside of me was jumping with joy that you made this connection. Great way to explain to people what's happening in our government.

Xenophage
02-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Awesome. You play too much Atari :)

MortaLiberty
02-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Thank you very much. I tried to get the new paragraphs separated, but how does one create indentations?