PDA

View Full Version : Could we stop mentioning Conservative?

mdh
09-14-2007, 12:31 PM
Nowadays, the term conservative tends to have a connotation that turns off some segments of the population, including single issue otherwise-leftists who would vote for Dr. Paul on the war issue alone. It also sometimes implies Christian theocrats, especially amongst atheists. We should avoid using this word. The MSM uses it to criticize him and make him less appealing to those and other groups.

Actually, just about every word has some negative stigma with some group or another.

The only safe way to go must be to not speak of Dr. Paul at all, lest we turn some small group or another off of him.

nullvalu
09-14-2007, 12:33 PM
lmao.. nice one.. or maybe we could coin a new term..

Kade
09-14-2007, 12:35 PM
Nowadays, the term conservative tends to have a connotation that turns off some segments of the population, including single issue otherwise-leftists who would vote for Dr. Paul on the war issue alone. It also sometimes implies Christian theocrats, especially amongst atheists. We should avoid using this word. The MSM uses it to criticize him and make him less appealing to those and other groups.

Actually, just about every word has some negative stigma with some group or another.

The only safe way to go must be to not speak of Dr. Paul at all, lest we turn some small group or another off of him.

We atheists are not a small group. I promise this country will feel their weight this next election.

The very idea and concept of theocracy makes my spine shiver, and a metallic taste fills my mouth... I am a "conservative" economic... (formerly known as Classical Liberal Economy), republicans are Theocrats.

American
09-14-2007, 12:37 PM
Just like all the other libertarian supporters who say they support Ron Paul, they are to concerned with with there own personal agenda of libetarianism and not to support Ron Paul. This forum has littered with bullshit, each thinking there own idea is better then the next.

For all you "libertarians" Ron Paul is running under the Republican ticket, its time to either join the Ron Paul revolution or move to fuck on.

The term libertarian actually invokes more kooky ideas the conservative.

LibertyOfOne
09-14-2007, 12:39 PM

Saying that Ron Paul is against the war invokes kooky ideas.

mdh
09-14-2007, 12:41 PM
Just like all the other libertarian supporters who say they support Ron Paul, they are to concerned with with there own personal agenda of libetarianism and not to support Ron Paul. This forum has littered with bullshit, each thinking there own idea is better then the next.

For all you "libertarians" Ron Paul is running under the Republican ticket, its time to either join the Ron Paul revolution or move to fuck on.

I disagree. I would in fact say that the exact opposite is true - that the term 'conservative' has negative connotations with a larger percent of the public than the term 'libertarian' does. In fact, the vast majority of people have no idea what 'libertarian' even means, and have no attachments to it at all, negative or otherwise.

As far as being a Republican, no one said he wasn't, and no one said to stop using the term Republican.

I'd say it's time for people who want to come on here picking fights to move the fuck on.

Get the Anita Andrews training - you'll all learn a lot about how retarded all of this "don't use term X" crap really is.

LibertyOfOne
09-14-2007, 12:43 PM
I guess you can call him a conservative in the primary and a libertarian during the general.

American
09-14-2007, 12:43 PM
Saying that Ron Paul is against the war invokes kooky ideas.

your name says it all, hardly a uniting term is it now?

When you libertarians can get your shit together and settle simple little disputes in your own party then maybe you can UNITE enough people to see things your way. Until then, Ron Paul is running as a Republican and has always been elected as a republican. While he has Libertarian views he is smart enough to know that there must be SOME common ground besides individual liberty.

Get with THIS program of STFU

kthxbye

mdh
09-14-2007, 12:45 PM
I guess you can call him a conservative in the primary and a libertarian during the general.

Or you could not call him anything, and let him speak for himself.

Before you go attaching terms to Dr. Paul, stop and ask yourself why you have to do so at all, and if you come to your senses, don't - and instead, say something that will be far more effective. :)

American
09-14-2007, 12:47 PM
I'd say it's time for people who want to come on here picking fights to move the fuck on.

I dont want to fight, Im just tired of people like yourself nit picking on shit because you dont get your way.

Get the Anita Andrews training - you'll all learn a lot about how retarded all of this "don't use term X" crap really is.

You started this thread sunshine, and I know this was in response of the "don't use the term libertarian" thread. The big problem as I see it is RP is running under the Republican ticket sometimes called conservatives. RP has libertarian ideas but is not a libertarian.

Well to 2007, get out of 1988.

Hurricane Bruiser
09-14-2007, 12:48 PM
I would say Constitutionalist. That fits him best. In the Republican party, Conservative is generally looked at as a good term implying small government and for some a social position they like. "Conservative" and "Liberal" hardly make sense anymore.

LibertyOfOne
09-14-2007, 12:48 PM
Or you could not call him anything, and let him speak for himself.

Before you go attaching terms to Dr. Paul, stop and ask yourself why you have to do so at all, and if you come to your senses, don't - and instead, say something that will be far more effective. :)

I never really call him anything when I bring him up. Someone else brought up the topic of what to call him.

belian78
09-14-2007, 12:56 PM
why cant everyone in these forums drink a big swig of STFU and quit fighting each other and finding ways to bait each other. you all know from what walks of life RP supporters come from, so you know when you post a topic like this or the libertarian one, your going to piss off another RP supporter. more likely a bunch of supporters. why do it? god! focus on the issues at hand, getting delegates-getting the independants-ad campaigns-commercials etc...

swear this is starting to look like the damn MS ron paul group...:mad:

Ron Paul Fan
09-14-2007, 12:58 PM
why cant everyone in these forums drink a big swig of STFU and quit fighting each other and finding ways to bait each other. you all know from what walks of life RP supporters come from, so you know when you post a topic like this or the libertarian one, your going to piss off another RP supporter. more likely a bunch of supporters. why do it? god! focus on the issues at hand, getting delegates-getting the independants-ad campaigns-commercials etc...

Amen my friend. The freedom message brings us together, it doesn't divide us.

LibertyEagle
09-14-2007, 01:00 PM

When you libertarians can get your shit together and settle simple little disputes in your own party then maybe you can UNITE enough people to see things your way. Until then, Ron Paul is running as a Republican and has always been elected as a republican. While he has Libertarian views he is smart enough to know that there must be SOME common ground besides individual liberty.

kthxbye

Is there a reason to be this rude?

mdh
09-14-2007, 01:09 PM
I dont want to fight, Im just tired of people like yourself nit picking on shit because you dont get your way.

Don't get my way? What? George started this crap, he's the only one who seemed to have a way that he wanted to get, which I simply wanted to point out the utter non-sense of.

You started this thread sunshine, and I know this was in response of the "don't use the term libertarian" thread. The big problem as I see it is RP is running under the Republican ticket sometimes called conservatives. RP has libertarian ideas but is not a libertarian.

Well to 2007, get out of 1988.

Of course it was, and it was a lampoon thereof. You seem to be making some radical leap between the word "Republican" and the word "conservative", though. Now, I know a lot of people who call themselves conservatives, and they would not call ANY of the front-runner Republican presidential candidates conservative, nor the current Republican president.

Ron Paul has libertarian ideas. Ron Paul has paleoconservative ideas. Ron Paul has classical liberal ideas. Ron Paul has free-market capitalist ideas. Is Ron Paul any of these things? Is he all of those things? I'd say he's all of those things, since they all mean about the same thing. :p He's also a Republican, but that is just a party affiliation, and has nothing to do with ideology. We're discussing ideology here, not party affiliation (since as far as I know, the libertarian thread OP had nothing about the LP in it, and there is no party called the Conservative Party that runs presidential candidates).

(Note: there is a conservative party in New York, but it's NY state only, and has no bearing on this discussion.)

PaleoForPaul
09-14-2007, 01:10 PM

I realize this is just a joke because of the "Drop the Libertarian" thread, but you guys do realize you have to win over Republicans to get the nomination, right?

I would bet most Republicans have a positive view of the term conservative, while being indifferent or negative twards Libertarian.

Of course, that is silly. Both Regan and Goldwater were somewhat Libertarian, and someone has to remind them of that. Of course, that is tough to do when "political talk shows" think history lessons are worthless.

jmdrake
09-14-2007, 01:11 PM
This is all quite stupid. Ron Paul ran as a libertarian once and he's running as a republican now. I wouldn't care if he was running as a democrat or a constitutionalist or a reform party candidate or (fill-in-the-blank). It doesn't seem that his views have changed that much since 1988. And like most people he has views that don't fit the "platform" of either the (current) republican or libertarian party. Hey, if you're a libertarian and you're speaking to your fellow libertarians feel free to tell them "He's really one of us". If you're a republican and you're speaking to your fellow republicans feel free to do the same. Personally I'm an independent that puts principal over party.

Regards,

John M. Drake

mdh
09-14-2007, 01:12 PM

I started this to make a point regarding the "don't call him a libertarian" thread. It was intended as a lampoon, but of course some people are socially retarded and can't see that. :p And for the record, George and I are very much cool, I just needed to lay down some honesty because he started that damned thread.

Ozwest
09-14-2007, 01:22 PM
Cats! Cats!! Cats!!! Boring.boring..boring...

Kade
09-14-2007, 01:29 PM

You are a blithering idiot.

"Libertarianism is a political philosophy maintaining that all persons are the absolute owners of their own lives, and should be free to do whatever they wish with their persons or property, provided they allow others the same liberty."

Its birth is in Objectivism and Classical Liberalism...

If I said to you some ideals are applicable, for instance, anti-establishment and abortion rights... you call bullshit?

You seriously need to think for yourself on this...

My rational faculty, as well as many others, see the protection of the right to these things paramount to all others... To dismiss anyone who disagrees with Ron Paul as anti-liberty is the highest level of absurdity available to humans - hypocrisy and contradictory.

Kade
09-14-2007, 01:30 PM

I actually agree, I am getting pissed on a daily basis.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-14-2007, 01:37 PM

what are the "kooky" libertarian ideals? Abolishing federal reserve? sound money? eliminate of affirmative action programs? maximum personal liberties? state's rights? smaller government? elimination of IRS? lower taxes? keeping the fruits of your labor? free markets? decriminalization of drugs?

Kade
09-14-2007, 02:05 PM
what are the "kooky" libertarian ideals? Abolishing federal reserve? sound money? eliminate of affirmative action programs? maximum personal liberties? state's rights? smaller government? elimination of IRS? lower taxes? keeping the fruits of your labor? free markets? decriminalization of drugs?

You are speaking my language. You - I - like.

PaleoForPaul
09-14-2007, 02:18 PM

Freedom scares some people.

American
09-14-2007, 02:32 PM

There all great ideas, and I support them. When its not in the context to THIS campaign I take issue with, this isnt a libertarian thing, this is a Ron Paul thing.

You dont get that do you?

ladies, who jumped in late....this has been going on in a few threads. Try and stay focused with the RON PAUL CAMPAIGN and we can discuss the libertarian ideas over a beer ONCE RP is in the white house.

mdh
09-14-2007, 02:47 PM
There all great ideas, and I support them. When its not in the context to THIS campaign I take issue with, this isnt a libertarian thing, this is a Ron Paul thing.

You dont get that do you?

ladies, who jumped in late....this has been going on in a few threads. Try and stay focused with the RON PAUL CAMPAIGN and we can discuss the libertarian ideas over a beer ONCE RP is in the white house.

But Dr. Paul believes in all of those things. Dr. Paul *doesn't* believe the WTC buildings were brought down by controlled demolition. Do you also take issue with people discussing 9/11 truth and theories such as controlle demolition here?

Ozwest
09-14-2007, 02:53 PM
Do you guys need a license to behave this badly. Why don't you hire Karl Rove?

brandon
09-14-2007, 02:54 PM
The problem is the terms conservative and republican have become synonamous with neocon in the general public. I am 23, and never even knew what a republican really was until I found Dr. paul. I always just passionatly hated republicans because I though republican and neocon were the same thing. I think this is the general consensus for most of my generation

American
09-14-2007, 02:55 PM
But Dr. Paul believes in all of those things. Dr. Paul *doesn't* believe the WTC buildings were brought down by controlled demolition. Do you also take issue with people discussing 9/11 truth and theories such as controlle demolition here?

In the right board I dont mind (hot topix), I think its important to but it has nothing to do with getting Ron Paul in the white house and that my point exactly.

I was under the assumption we are trying to work together to get Ron Paul elected. While I agree almost entirely with libertarian principles, I also know that libertarians are not in line with the majority of people. Is this right, absolutely not but thats just the way it is. This is why I say we must set out personal specific differences aside and work towards a common goal of getting Ron Paul elected.

I've been over to the libertarian web site many times and they struggle with this very thing we are talking about. Some support RP some dont. Its either everything, or nothing.

American
09-14-2007, 03:00 PM
You are a blithering idiot.

"Libertarianism is a political philosophy maintaining that all persons are the absolute owners of their own lives, and should be free to do whatever they wish with their persons or property, provided they allow others the same liberty."

Its birth is in Objectivism and Classical Liberalism...

If I said to you some ideals are applicable, for instance, anti-establishment and abortion rights... you call bullshit?

You seriously need to think for yourself on this...

My rational faculty, as well as many others, see the protection of the right to these things paramount to all others... To dismiss anyone who disagrees with Ron Paul as anti-liberty is the highest level of absurdity available to humans - hypocrisy and contradictory.

Sounds neat, while your focused on splitting hairs with like minded people I'm working on getting new recruits for this campaign. That is the idea I would think, finding new support? not hashing out libertarian ideas with other like minded libertarians?

He is running under a Republican ticket, not the libertarin ticket it was RP choice, not mine. Where am I losing you on this?

Dont they have libertarian forums for you to play on?

MikeStanart
09-14-2007, 03:33 PM
I just refer to myself as a Constitutional Republican. It says what it is; and the people who tend to ask questions about the "Constitutional" part; usually agree to my responses. I mean, who wouldn't?

I mean, lets face it folks, historically we're still republicans. However; the big lot of them have "lost their way".

JosephTheLibertarian
09-14-2007, 03:36 PM
I refer to myself as a libertarian...anarchist...voluntaryist..paleoliber al....fiscal conservative.....classical liberal....individualist....

LibertyOfOne
09-14-2007, 03:47 PM

kthxbye

You shut the fuck up. Stop talking out of your ass while you're at it.

American
09-14-2007, 03:50 PM
I just refer to myself as a Constitutional Republican. It says what it is; and the people who tend to ask questions about the "Constitutional" part; usually agree to my responses. I mean, who wouldn't?

I mean, lets face it folks, historically we're still republicans. However; the big lot of them have "lost their way".

Being a professional salesman for many years I know first hand you can talk yourself out of a deal allot faster then can talk yourself into one. Constitutionalist Republican works, its still part of the Republican party thats all I'm saying.

Libertarian is a completely different party and I think when used in this campaign I think will hurt and traditional Republicans and Democrats that might think about voting for RP.

I wish it was different and I agree that when people are educated about libertarian ideas and values I dont think there would be much resistance but that just not how things are right now.

Once we get Ron Paul in the white house people can see first hand how libertarian values effect them personally.....

RON PAUL in 08!!...............:)

American
09-14-2007, 03:51 PM
You shut the fuck up. Stop talking out of your ass while you're at it.

Don't tell me...Texas?

Listen when RP get in you can marry your long lost bone smuggling boyfriend but lets get him elected first.

k, sweetheart?

1000-points-of-fright
09-14-2007, 03:56 PM
Being a professional salesman for many years I know first hand you can talk yourself out of a deal allot faster then can talk yourself into one. Constitutionalist Republican works, its still part of the Republican party thats all I'm saying.

Libertarian is a completely different party and I think when used in this campaign I think will hurt and traditional Republicans and Democrats that might think about voting for RP.

I wish it was different and I agree that when people are educated about libertarian ideas and values I dont think there would be much resistance but that just not how things are right now.

A perfect example of this can be found on this thread at another forum (http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=13028&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0). It turns into a Ron Paul/Libertarian/Conservative argument near the bottom of the first page.

Daveforliberty
09-14-2007, 04:00 PM
I love you all. And Ron Paul loves you too.

American
09-14-2007, 04:01 PM
What even more fascinating, look at the official libertarian web site...

http://www.lp.org/cgi-bin/search/exec/search.cgi?search=Ron+Paul&perform_search=Go&skin=

not to much good buzz about Ron Paul there either. Thats what I'm saying he is running as a Republican/conservative/constitutionalist NOT a libertarian.

Aww Dave, give'me kiss baby....;)

Oh wait, I'm not gay......:D

mdh
09-14-2007, 04:03 PM

http://www.lp.org/cgi-bin/search/exec/search.cgi?search=Ron+Paul&perform_search=Go&skin=

not to much good buzz about Ron Paul there either. Thats what I'm saying he is running as a Republican/conservative/constitutionalist NOT a libertarian.

Please point out the good buzz going on on the GOP website. Thanks.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-14-2007, 04:15 PM

the lp leadership is quite stupid imho. rather then endorsing rp, they much rather suffer an embarassing voter turnout....

American
09-14-2007, 04:20 PM
the lp leadership is quite stupid imho. rather then endorsing rp, they much rather suffer an embarassing voter turnout....

I agree they seem to content with cutting off there nose to spite there face.

Anyways you guys can obviously do what you want Im just saying towing the Republican line I think would be more beneficial then towing the libertarian line.

You got to realize, if Americans let it get this bad to begin with that doesnt say much for there intellect.

Cheers,
:)

LibertyBelle
09-14-2007, 05:12 PM
I disagree. I would in fact say that the exact opposite is true - that the term 'conservative' has negative connotations with a larger percent of the public than the term 'libertarian' does. In fact, the vast majority of people have no idea what 'libertarian' even means, and have no attachments to it at all, negative or otherwise.

As far as being a Republican, no one said he wasn't, and no one said to stop using the term Republican.

Propaganda has been used purposely, and obviously to some extent successfully, to cause people to view the word 'conservative' negatively. The 'don't use term X' crap is retarded, and based on 'political correctness' that is pure propaganda. Let's not fall into the 'politically correct' wimpiness of 'not offending anyone'. Political correctness is for communist countries, and is about thought control!

Not offend anyone? Thought/speech police! Sheesh, should we not say the troops should be pulled out of Iraq because some people will be offended? Should RP not admit he is a Christian because some people might be offended? WE ARE INDIVIDUALS, AND SHOULD NOT COMPROMISE BECAUSE SOMEONE ELSE MIGHT BE OFFENDED.

People are feeding right into the hands of the socialist elite (and the disinfo agents they hire) who as you know are on both sides of aisle playing good cop/bad cop. You shouldn't have to walk on eggshells worrying that you are going to offend people by using the word conservative for example. Educate people instead! Many people are compromising, and that's what the NAU/commie one worlder crowd wants, for you to compromise and conform.

mdh, lol for the sarcasm! I'm with ya!

LibertyEagle
09-14-2007, 05:16 PM
Don't tell me...Texas?

Listen when RP get in you can marry your long lost bone smuggling boyfriend but lets get him elected first.

k, sweetheart?

You are one rude, SOB. I don't know what your story is, but you badly need to clean up your act. :mad:

Geronimo
09-14-2007, 05:28 PM
All this political party smashing is what "the terrorists" wanted.
I hate to say it, but I think they got what they wanted.

Divide and conquer.

Try telling that to Rush, or Hannity.