PDA

View Full Version : Pimp my forum. Forum upgrade ideas.

wizardwatson
02-20-2009, 11:19 AM
I have a few requests for additions to this forum.

1. There is an 'unvote' modification script available at vBulletin.org that allows a user to remove their vote from a poll. I think this would be very useful for demographic type vote questions. It would allow the user to change their vote for long term polls.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=164654

2. One of the only things CFL has that RPF doesn't is some type of weblog. vBulletin has a blog module that you can install that allows users to have blogs.

http://www.vbulletin.com/features_blog.php

3. Another thing that CFL does have that could be implemented generically with custom profile fields is the ability to search for and display members based on state/county/district/precinct/ward.

http://www.campaignforliberty.com/memberlist.php?st=KS

4. I watched a demo video about the vBulletin project tools. It also does pretty much anything we'd need as far as running small projects, including collaborating on web sites and grass roots action, assigning tasks/bugs/features, time-tracking, etc.

http://www.vbulletin.com/features_project.php

Now if you made these minor upgrades, which I'm sure wouldn't get much use at first, I think that you'd have a more robust system than CFL. And I might actually be willing to pay an annual subscription depending on how privileges/administration rights were set up.

That's another thing I'd like to open for discussion. How should we deal with social networking service providers in the context of what we're trying to accomplish? Do we try to contract with them as a group, as individuals?

I know most everyone like Josh is cool, but some of these operators are just interested in traffic.

Anyway, others might have ideas of what they'd like on the forum, but I'm hoping to get a response to these four items.

wizardwatson
02-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Actually CFL could have built everything they've got using a vBulletin platform. Probably would have saved money and time too.

Jeremy
02-20-2009, 11:32 AM
might wanna post in the forum feedback board

wizardwatson
02-20-2009, 11:33 AM
might wanna post in the forum feedback board

Yeah, I posted a link to this thread there. But it was a poll so I wanted it in GR too.

UtahApocalypse
02-20-2009, 12:17 PM
I like the ideas of blogs being on the site.

One thing I want to point out.... people keep talking about creating a new site, or portal and getting everyone to switch. I always have disagreed with that on the following. RPF became the center point of grassroots action. During the campaign it was truly the "Headquarters" of operations. Other sites worked various projects.... but most all were announced, and linked to from here.

Now we have moved to phase two of our Revolution and RPF still stands as the main site for most all information. News flows here, Projects are born here, the fire of liberty burns here.

Lets not keep trying to reinvent the wheel. Lets maybe instead think about some new tires and hubcaps.

ronpaulhawaii
02-20-2009, 12:22 PM
I like the ideas of blogs being on the site.

One thing I want to point out.... people keep talking about creating a new site, or portal and getting everyone to switch. I always have disagreed with that on the following. RPF became the center point of grassroots action. During the campaign it was truly the "Headquarters" of operations. Other sites worked various projects.... but most all were announced, and linked to from here.

Now we have moved to phase two of our Revolution and RPF still stands as the main site for most all information. News flows here, Projects are born here, the fire of liberty burns here.

Lets not keep trying to reinvent the wheel. Lets maybe instead think about some new tires and hubcaps.

Who is talking about a new portal for people to switch to?

Roxi
02-20-2009, 12:26 PM
not me im loyal to RPF :)

UtahApocalypse
02-20-2009, 12:31 PM
Who is talking about a new portal for people to switch to?

I seen some posts... not the RPF Portal which I think is the exact direction we should go. Along with some of the suggestions of this OP.

Bryan
02-25-2009, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the list. (sorry I missed this before). Anyway, I totally agree on the blog feature- we've looked at it but just haven't done it yet. We do have custom profile fields- copied over form Op Cat Herder- check them out. We're open for suggestions on changes. They are even searchable in the Members List. I'll look at the others suggestions.

Thanks again!

DAFTEK
02-25-2009, 07:25 AM
Can we get embedded tube video?

maqsur
02-25-2009, 10:33 AM
I've made this suggestion in the past, but here goes again. How about new color schemes, aside from pink and red/blue?

wizardwatson
02-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the list. (sorry I missed this before). Anyway, I totally agree on the blog feature- we've looked at it but just haven't done it yet. We do have custom profile fields- copied over form Op Cat Herder- check them out. We're open for suggestions on changes. They are even searchable in the Members List. I'll look at the others suggestions.

Thanks again!

I seen that you had some custom fields. I was more talking about having custom fields that designated your political designation as far as district, etc.

ForLiberty-RonPaul
02-25-2009, 10:57 AM
cup holders

ihsv
02-25-2009, 11:18 AM
I just want more choices in emoticons :D ;) :) :rolleyes: :eek: :cool: :( :confused: :mad: :p

DAFTEK
02-25-2009, 12:13 PM
I just want more choices in emoticons :D ;) :) :rolleyes: :eek::( :confused: :mad: :p

+++++++++:D++++++++