PDA

View Full Version : Legislation: Oklahoma House Votes 83-13 to Restore States' Rights

FrankRep
02-20-2009, 07:31 AM
Oklahoma House Votes 83 to 13 to Restore Sovereignty Under the 10th Amendment Over All Powers Not Granted to the Federal Government

19 February 2009

Details:
http://www.jbs.org/index.php/us-constitution-blog/4539

tommyzDad
02-20-2009, 07:48 AM
Go, Oklahoma!

I'm still waiting on Virginia to even discuss this. And Wyoming.

FrankRep
02-20-2009, 07:53 AM
Oklahomans for Sovereignty and Free Enterprise

http://www.ok-safe.com/

Andromeda
02-20-2009, 08:06 AM
Great job OK!

I'm spending most of my day today trying to get through to my local representative to have her consider fighting for state sovereignty. I went to email her last night, but her mail box is full. :(

I live in Florida. . . for some reason, I feel as if it will take more than just one or two people calling in to get Florida to stand up to the Federal Government under the 10th.

Glad to see so many other states doing the right thing.

kojirodensetsu
02-20-2009, 08:35 AM
Is there a list of states somewhere that have passed legislation similar to this?

FrankRep
02-20-2009, 08:38 AM
Is there a list of states somewhere that have passed legislation similar to this?
About 23 states have bill resolutions related to this, but Oklahoma voted YES on State Sovereignty.

Elwar
02-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Great job OK!

I'm spending most of my day today trying to get through to my local representative to have her consider fighting for state sovereignty. I went to email her last night, but her mail box is full. :(

I live in Florida. . . for some reason, I feel as if it will take more than just one or two people calling in to get Florida to stand up to the Federal Government under the 10th.

Glad to see so many other states doing the right thing.

With Crist sucking up to Obama and talking about how much we need that stimulus money it doesn't seem like he's big on keeping the fed at bay.

Ex Post Facto
02-20-2009, 09:17 AM
I'm glad about these bills...but funny that we have to pass a bill to enforce the constitution.

Anti Federalist
02-20-2009, 09:39 AM
March 4th Rally in Concord for passage of NH HCR 6.

More details to follow.

Join The Paul Side
02-20-2009, 11:17 AM
So what comes out of these resolutions if a majority of states start passing them?

I have only heard of this once in the media and that was on Glenn Beck's show. Why is the MSM not reporting any of this? Seems to be a big deal to me. :confused:

MsDoodahs
02-20-2009, 11:44 AM
Because the media is owned, and their job is to keep this kind of thing as quiet as possible?

FrankRep
02-20-2009, 11:59 AM
Gosh, we'll just have to get off our butts to get the message out ourselves.

Post the news on Facebook for starters!

mconder
02-20-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm still waiting on Virginia to even discuss this. And Wyoming.

Unfortunately Colorado will not consider this. For the first time in our states history, we are officially a blue state.

Feenix566
02-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Let me know when these states start building up their own state militias. Until then, all of this is just paper and ink.

Think about what would happen if the state government of Oklahoma declared that no one in the state was paying federal taxes any more. Obama would order the national guard to roll in and take the governer out of office. Nevermind that this action would be illegal, and that only a governor has the legal authority to call in the military. No one would care about that little "technicality". The media would just spin it as the governor going crazy, and then everyone would stay tuned for the next American Idol.

Young Paleocon
02-20-2009, 01:17 PM
To many American's I think the principles of federalism and state/local rights are foreign.

Scott38
02-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Can anyone confirm this? It seems as if the link on the jbs sit eto the bill, goes to a bill from march 2005. Maybe I am confused and don't know what I am looking at, but I can see where this is confirmed on the site.

mello
02-20-2009, 01:32 PM
So what happens now to Oklahoma since they passed this?

FrankRep
02-20-2009, 01:48 PM
Can anyone confirm this? It seems as if the link on the jbs sit eto the bill, goes to a bill from march 2005. Maybe I am confused and don't know what I am looking at, but I can see where this is confirmed on the site.

The JBS has the correct bill on the website.

Here are the results of the vote:

http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/CF/2009-10%20SUPPORT%20DOCUMENTS/VOTES/House/hjr1003%20third%20reading%20%20%20%20%20%20%20pass ed%20vote%20okh00247.txt

dr. hfn
02-20-2009, 02:32 PM
We are the reason this is happening!

Elwar
02-20-2009, 02:42 PM
So what happens now to Oklahoma since they passed this?

It hasn't passed...the House passed it. I assume it now goes on to the Senate and then to the governor?

Then will be the time to be excited.

ihsv
02-20-2009, 03:23 PM
I was born in Oklahoma. I might just move back :D

mello
02-20-2009, 03:35 PM
It hasn't passed...the House passed it. I assume it now goes on to the Senate and then to the governor?

Then will be the time to be excited.

What I meant to write is if this does pass what happens? For example, do they keep
the tax money that was going to go to the Department of Education & spend it on
their education system directly?

SovereignMN
02-20-2009, 04:01 PM
What I meant to write is if this does pass what happens? For example, do they keep
the tax money that was going to go to the Department of Education & spend it on
their education system directly?

Well assuming the feds continue to violate the 10th amendment, then it'll all depend on whether Oklahoma will have the balls to follow up on their resolution or fold up like a paper tiger. Here is the THEREFORE clause of Oklahoma's resolution. Unfortunately it doesn't list any consequences for the feds not following through.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES AND THE SENATE OF THE 1ST SESSION OF THE 52ND OKLAHOMA LEGISLATURE:
THAT the State of Oklahoma hereby claims sovereignty under the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States over all powers not otherwise enumerated and granted to the federal government by the Constitution of the United States.
THAT this serve as Notice and Demand to the federal government, as our agent, to cease and desist, effective immediately, mandates that are beyond the scope of these constitutionally delegated powers.
THAT all compulsory federal legislation which directs states to comply under threat of civil or criminal penalties or sanctions or requires states to pass legislation or lose federal funding be prohibited or repealed.THAT a copy of this resolution be distributed to the President of the United States, the President of the United States Senate, the Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, the Speaker of the House and the President of the Senate of each state's legislature of the United States of America, and each member of the Oklahoma Congressional Delegation.

Anti Federalist
02-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Unfortunately Colorado will not consider this. For the first time in our states history, we are officially a blue state.

Colorado already passed such a measure, back in 1994.
http://www.fototime.com/6B4EFBD78F7CBB9/standard.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/A58A55A22F34CA6/standard.jpg

STATE OF COLORADO
BY REPRESENTATIVES Duke, May, (et al.)
ALSO SENATORS Roberts, Ament, (et al.)

HOUSE JOINT RESOLUTION 94-1035

WHEREAS, The 10th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States reads as follows:

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."; and

WHEREAS, The 10th Amendment defines the total scope of federal power as being that specifically granted by the United States Constitution and no more; and

WHEREAS, The scope of powers defined by the 10th Amendment means that the federal government was created by the States specifically to be an agent of the States; and

WHEREAS, Today, in 1994, the States are demonstrably treated as agents of the federal government; and

WHEREAS, Numerous resolutions have been forwarded to the federal government by the Colorado General Assembly without any response or result from Congress or the federal government; and

WHEREAS, Many federal mandates are directly in violation of the 10th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States; and

WHEREAS, The United States Supreme Court has ruled in New York v. United States, 112 S. Ct. 2408 (1992), that Congress may not simply commandeer the legislative and regulatory processes of the States; and

WHEREAS, A number of proposals from prior administrations and many now pending from the present administration and from Congress may further violate the United States Constitution; now, therefore,

Be It Resolved by the House of Representatives of the Fifty-ninth General Assembly of the State of Colorado, a sovereign Republic, the Senate concurring herein:

1. That the State of Colorado hereby claims sovereignty, under the 10th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, over all powers not otherwise enumerated and granted to the federal government by the United States Constitution.
2. That this Resolution shall serve as Notice and Demand that the federal government, as our agent, is hereby instructed, effective immediately, to cease and desist, any and all mandates that are beyond the scope of its Constitutionally authorized powers.

Be It Further Resolved, That copies of this Resolution be sent to the President of the United States, the Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, the President of the United States Senate, and each legislative house of each State of the United States of America, and Colorado's Congressional Delegation.

signed) Charles E.Berry, Speaker of the House of Representatives
signed) Tom Norton, President of the Senate

signed) Judith Rodrigue, Chief Clerk of the House of Representatives
signed) Joan M. Albi, Secretary of the Senate

http://www.lawfulpath.com/ref/10th-mnd.shtml

SovereignMN
02-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Further proof that the States have to have the balls to follow through.

Andromeda
02-20-2009, 04:35 PM
I called my county rep's office today and I wasn't allowed to speak with her. . . but I did get to talk to her secretary. . . I told her I wanted our state to push for sovereignty like states like OK are doing under the 10th Amendment. I think her brain died. She got really quiet and said she had to look up the 10th Amendment.:eek:

I explained why I felt this way and she said she'd have my rep call me back.

Yeah right.

Still - someone working in a county rep's office has to look up the 10th Amendment?!?!?!?!?!?!

Scary. . . .

thx1149
02-20-2009, 05:03 PM
Oklahoma House Votes 83 to 13 to Restore Sovereignty Under the 10th Amendment Over All Powers Not Granted to the Federal Government

19 February 2009

Details:
http://www.jbs.org/index.php/us-constitution-blog/4539

I saw this earlier too. This is great news. Many of the other states seem fueled around the 2nd amendment, but unfortunately OK's didn't even mention it.

While the news is great, where will this go? Will states really do anything to stop the federal government from abusing it's power? I look forward to a day when state police are willing to stand up against and even arrest federal police for violating states rights. All this is great, but if we don't go back and start invalidating all the abuses of the commerce clause the 10th amendment still is pretty weak. What we need is the judicial branch to actually act like a branch of government.

83 to 13 is pretty nice and reassuring that other states will have some success. I do wonder though why anyone would vote against a resolution reminding the federal government to follow the constitution. If anyone sees any articles with quotes by the opposition, please share.

qh4dotcom
02-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Oklahoma sucks...it's the hardest state to get on the ballot if you're not a Republican or Democrat.

Liberty candidates are not welcome on the ballot there.

FrankRep
02-20-2009, 05:27 PM
Oklahoma sucks...it's the hardest state to get on the ballot if you're not a Republican or Democrat.

Liberty candidates are not welcome on the ballot there.

Libertarians took Ohio to court and got third party ballot access. Oklahoma could do the same.