PDA

View Full Version : NY Post Chimp Cartoon Portrays Racism?

constitutional
02-19-2009, 04:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXNNda02-Ww

Can anyone explain me the connection between a chimpanzee shot down in Washington and black people?

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:4UJj3IpcK58iXM:http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/K/1/bush_chimps2.jpg (http://www.freewebs.com/blairandbushbashing/bush%20is%20a%20chimp%20(2).jpg)

AutoDas
02-19-2009, 05:44 PM
haha that's hilarious now that it offends someone and that they consider themselves monkeys:D

torchbearer
02-19-2009, 05:47 PM
My first thought was...it was saying: the people who wrote the stimulus bill are no smarter than monkeys.

Son of Detroit
02-19-2009, 05:51 PM
My first thought was...it was saying: the people who wrote the stimulus bill are no smarter than monkeys.

That's what it does portray.

But the American people are so stupid that they think the monkey is supposed to be Obama. Hello people, 3rd grade government? The president doesn't write the bills, Congress does.

SWATH
02-19-2009, 05:56 PM
I don't even think Obama wrote any of the bill did he?

dannno
02-19-2009, 05:58 PM
I don't even think Obama wrote any of the bill did he?

Ya, that was the point I made to my Obama friends... along with TorchBearer's "first thought"

torchbearer
02-19-2009, 05:59 PM

But the American people are so stupid that they think the monkey is supposed to be Obama. Hello people, 3rd grade government? The president doesn't write the bills, Congress does.

Yeah, that is really the crux.
Obama doesn't even write the bills, but people don't have a clue.

Trigonx
02-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Soo many ignorant people who do not understand the fact that CONGRESS writes the legislation. I saw many articles calling for people to boycott NY Post because of the cartoon. /facepalm

1000-points-of-fright
02-19-2009, 06:10 PM
It's a reference to the chimp that recently attacked a woman and cops had to shoot it. So one can infer that the people that wrote the stimulus bills are rampaging chimps about to savage the American public that must be stopped.

LibertyBrews
02-19-2009, 06:13 PM
Al Sharpton having a field day LOL.

torchbearer
02-19-2009, 06:14 PM
It's a reference to the chimp that recently attacked a woman and cops had to shoot it. So one can infer that the people that wrote the stimulus bills are rampaging chimps about to savage the American public that must be stopped.

i didn't even see that story... and still wasn't racist.
This makes it look even more stupid than before.

Young Paleocon
02-19-2009, 06:23 PM
It's referencing the chimpanzee that had to be shot in Connecticut that ripped off a woman's hands and maimed her face. I'm sorry Al Sharpton feels pity every time he sees a monkey.

Ex Post Facto
02-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Just watched this on MSNBC. They are on a kick to reinstate racial hatred it appears. And Yes, most Americans are cowards to talk about racial issues, because: #1 Society is structured to prohibit any expression about racial topics; and #2 Americans get too distracted by white vs. black paradigm and pictures of monkeys that they personalize to think the other person was referring to themselves.

One needs only listen to Ron Paul to know where the racial divide falls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpE4uawmLjM

ingrid
02-19-2009, 06:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXNNda02-Ww

Can anyone explain me the connection between a chimpanzee shot down in Washington and black people?

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:4UJj3IpcK58iXM:http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/K/1/bush_chimps2.jpg (http://www.freewebs.com/blairandbushbashing/bush%20is%20a%20chimp%20(2).jpg)

In the 19th and early 20th century in America, it was common in images to portray blacks as monkeys.

To most people it's Obama's stimulus bill.

Plus there's the implied assassination threat in it.

If he wanted people to think "Congress," he could have put the word there or have multiple dead monkeys.

You might not find it racist or that the monkey symbolizes Obama, however a lot of people do. I think the cartoonist should be able to draw what he wants, however it was a stupid decision. He's going to have a lot of people pissed off at him who will want him fired.

torchbearer
02-19-2009, 06:55 PM
In the 19th and early 20th century in America, it was common in images to portray blacks as monkeys.

To most people it's Obama's stimulus bill.

Plus there's the implied assassination threat in it.

If he wanted people to think "Congress," he could have put the word there or have multiple dead monkeys.

You might not find it racist or that the monkey symbolizes Obama, however a lot of people do. I think the cartoonist should be able to draw what he wants, however it was a stupid decision. He's going to have a lot of people pissed off at him who will want him fired.

If you think it is racist, you have a racist mindset.

Young Paleocon
02-19-2009, 07:08 PM
Lol I love this. Maybe Congress can pass legislation banning cartoons of chimps being shot.

pcosmar
02-19-2009, 07:09 PM
I don't remember all that much outrage when this was out.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e360/Domeskull/chimpy.jpg

Or This

http://www.dmoma.org/lobby/exhibitions/presidentially_speaking/images/mission_accomplished.jpeg

or This

http://mitya.pp.ru/anato/bush_chimp.jpg

I guess it just depends on Who is making the joke. :rolleyes:

1000-points-of-fright
02-19-2009, 07:12 PM
If you think it is racist, you have a racist mindset.

C'mon, that's a little unfair. The cartoonist may not have meant any racial slur whatsoever, but you have to be completely ignorant of history to think that it might not open up a racial can of worms. His editor is even more at fault for not having any foresight.

Or maybe the editor did see the possible racial controversy and welcomed it.

Golding
02-19-2009, 07:14 PM
People like Al Sharpton make their business by portraying black people as perpetual victims. They are the true racists here, being people who look for any way to look at a joke as an attack on black people.

torchbearer
02-19-2009, 07:15 PM
C'mon, that's a little unfair. The cartoonist may not have meant any racial slur whatsoever, but you have to be completely ignorant of history to think that it might not open up a racial can of worms. His editor is even more at fault for not having any foresight.

Or maybe the editor did see the possible racial controversy and welcomed it.

I think its an act of aggression to try and say this cartoonist is a hateful racist bigot without some big mountain of evidence that supports such a stretch of the imagination.
They are making this headline news... and with no trial.. saying that their should be retribution for the cartoon.
That is unfair.
Not my previous comment.

ingrid
02-19-2009, 07:34 PM
I don't remember all that much outrage when this was out.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e360/Domeskull/chimpy.jpg

Or This

http://www.dmoma.org/lobby/exhibitions/presidentially_speaking/images/mission_accomplished.jpeg

or This

http://mitya.pp.ru/anato/bush_chimp.jpg

I guess it just depends on Who is making the joke. :rolleyes:

That's because Bush is a white male. It's PC to compare him to a monkey. :rolleyes:

I thought a lot of the stuff with Palin and them making Alaska the new West Virginia was pretty bad. And the Palin stuff was pretty constant in the media and in real life. Even today at lunch today with my dad, one of his co-workers was making fun of her.

pcosmar
02-19-2009, 07:39 PM
That's because Bush is a white male. It's PC to compare him to a monkey. :rolleyes:

I thought a lot of the stuff with Palin and them making Alaska the new West Virginia was pretty bad. And the Palin stuff was pretty constant in the media and in real life. Even today at lunch today with my dad, one of his co-workers was making fun of her.

It would seem that some people (D) can make a joke but can't take a joke.

asimplegirl
02-19-2009, 07:45 PM

According to the paper, it was a play on the story of the woman who had to have her chimp shot by cops for attacking, and a play on the fact that the stimulus was just as dumb...and then, the editor went on to say that Al, who is making a big deal of this is "playing attention whore" again. LOL.

Zolah
02-19-2009, 07:54 PM
I read that the cartoonist has a reputation of being somewhat of a bigot but I don't know who he is so don't know if that was just BS.

nate895
02-19-2009, 07:54 PM
This is ridiculous, I agree with torch, in order to open the paper and go "this is obviously making fun of blacks by comparing them to monkeys" you already have to have a racist mindset. I have grown up in a time where color matters for little, and I am sick of everything being called "racist," it is just meant to keep more people in line behind statism.

ingrid
02-19-2009, 08:00 PM
It would seem that some people (D) can make a joke but can't take a joke.

Pretty much. Whites doesn't have the history of being called monkeys because of their race. When people compare Bush to a monkey, it's viewed as being because of his actions/stupidity, rather than his skin color. So when Bush is called a monkey, nobody takes it personally. When Obama is supposedly compared to a monkey, it's not only taken as an insult to him, but as a personal insult too. That's why people are reacting strongly to it. They think the cartoonist is attacking Obama because he's a black man.

pcosmar
02-19-2009, 08:10 PM
Pretty much. Whites doesn't have the history of being called monkeys because of their race. When people compare Bush to a monkey, it's viewed as being because of his actions/stupidity, rather than his skin color. So when Bush is called a monkey, nobody takes it personally. When Obama is supposedly compared to a monkey, it's not only taken as an insult to him, but as a personal insult too. That's why people are reacting strongly to it. They think the cartoonist is attacking Obama because he's a black man.

Yes, possibly. But then again anyone that questioned his qualifications ( or lack thereof ) or questioned his birth certificate ( or lack thereof ) , or questioned his national loyalty (US or Africa), was labeled a racist. Even to the inference that if someone did not support him, they were racist.

I could give a shit about skin color. There are lots of other reasons to oppose the man.
But he was elected BECAUSE he is black, and that is racist.

asimplegirl
02-19-2009, 08:14 PM
Civil rights activist Al Sharpton called the cartoon "troubling at best given the historic racist attacks of African-Americans as being synonymous with monkeys."

But Sharpton said the Post should clarify the point it was trying to make with the cartoon, which was playing off Monday's rampage by a pet chimpanzee in Stamford, Conn., that left a woman severely mauled. Police ended up killing the chimp.

In a statement, Post Editor-in-Chief Col Allan said: "The cartoon is a clear parody of a current news event, to wit the shooting of a violent chimpanzee in Connecticut. It broadly mocks Washington's efforts to revive the economy. Again, Al Sharpton reveals himself as nothing more than a publicity opportunist."

A story about the cartoon on the liberal-leaning Huffington Post Web site drew hundreds of reader responses, many calling the cartoon racist and insensitive.

Sam Stein, a columnist for the site, wrote that "at its most benign, the cartoon suggests that the stimulus bill was so bad, monkeys may as well have written it. Most provocatively, it compares the president to a rabid chimp. Either way, the incorporation of violence and (on a darker level) race into politics is bound to be controversial."
.................................................. ..................................

ingrid
02-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Yes, possibly. But then again anyone that questioned his qualifications ( or lack thereof ) or questioned his birth certificate ( or lack thereof ) , or questioned his national loyalty (US or Africa), was labeled a racist. Even to the inference that if someone did not support him, they were racist.
That's true too. However like I said there's more of a personal reaction this time.

I could give a shit about skin color. There are lots of other reasons to oppose the man.
But he was elected BECAUSE he is black, and that is racist.

That's somewhat true. If he was a Republican like Michael Steele, he wouldn't have gotten the black vote. I don't think I've ever seen a race in recent times where the Republican has gotten more than 18% of the black vote. But other than that, the statement is true. People at age 80, didn't vote for the first time in their lives, because of his policies.

nate895
02-19-2009, 08:37 PM
That's true too. However like I said there's more of a personal reaction this time.

That's somewhat true. If he was a Republican like Michael Steele, he wouldn't have gotten the black vote. I don't think I've ever seen a race in recent times where the Republican has gotten more than 18% of the black vote. But other than that, the statement is true. People at age 80, didn't vote for the first time in their lives, because of his policies.

The Huckster got 50% when he was unopposed for the governorship of Arkansas.

Brooklyn Red Leg
02-19-2009, 08:59 PM
Jesus Christ, give me a break! Racist? Fucko Al Sharpton is about as smart as a bag of hammers. It never ceases to amaze me the stupidity of people and the fact that mob mentality can be incited by shitbags like Sharpton. Dipshits obviously failed Civics in High School.

Soft Spoken Storm
02-19-2009, 09:42 PM
Even if it was portraying Obama, are they really going to bitch about it now after eight years of various comics portraying Bush as a monkey? Come on, Non Sequitur anyone? That's pretty hypocritical. Some people ache for attention so much. They throw out all these BS cries of "racism," and then they wonder why America is still so divided. Nice.

BlackTerrel
02-19-2009, 09:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXNNda02-WwCan anyone explain me the connection between a chimpanzee shot down in Washington and black people?

If you were born and raised in the US and you don't understand that comparing a black person and a monkey is racist and offensive then you are either playing dumb or are really retarded.

BlackTerrel
02-19-2009, 09:51 PM

People at age 80 who couldn't even drink from the same water fountain as you because they were "stupid N------" were probably excited that the country has changed so much for the better that they would have an opportunity to vote for a black President before they died. Is that racist?

Bman
02-19-2009, 09:52 PM
If you were born and raised in the US and you don't understand that comparing a black person and a monkey is racist and offensive then you are either playing dumb or are really retarded.

What do we consider it when a white man is compared to a monkey? I mean it happened to Bush alot. And I bet the same cartoon is published if Bush was alive. Has it been stated that the chimp was supposed to represent Obama. Or was the cartoon a stab at congress. Those type of political cartoons work better when they mark down the name of who or what the chimp represents on the character.

http://greatparanoiac.files.wordpress.com/2006/04/bush_chimp.JPG

At least this one is obvious.

Brian4Liberty
02-19-2009, 10:01 PM
It was obviously an attack on Darwin. That was the Scopes Monkey they killed. The real question is does the monkey have natural rights?

Then again, I may be wrong. The monkey may have been a depicton of Mohammad.

trey4sports
02-19-2009, 10:26 PM
personally i find it quite racist

AutoDas
02-19-2009, 11:47 PM
Takes a racist to know a racist.

trey4sports
02-19-2009, 11:49 PM
so knowing that public segregation was racist makes me a racist?
get real

The_Orlonater
02-19-2009, 11:50 PM
This is ridiculous, I agree with torch, in order to open the paper and go "this is obviously making fun of blacks by comparing them to monkeys" you already have to have a racist mindset. I have grown up in a time where color matters for little, and I am sick of everything being called "racist," it is just meant to keep more people in line behind statism.

You should here the driveling nonsense shooting of the people here.

torchbearer
02-20-2009, 12:01 AM
get real

the physical act of denying people the right to association is a lil' different than screaming racism at a political cartoon. images left for obvious interpretation.

I'm sure you can find something racist with this picture if you like:
http://www.slaveuprising.com/images/slaves.jpg

But that idea of racism would have to be present in your mind to recognize it.

BlackTerrel
02-20-2009, 02:07 AM
What do we consider it when a white man is compared to a monkey? I mean it happened to Bush alot. And I bet the same cartoon is published if Bush was alive. Has it been stated that the chimp was supposed to represent Obama. Or was the cartoon a stab at congress. Those type of political cartoons work better when they mark down the name of who or what the chimp represents on the character.

This is a ridiculous argument. I cannot really believe that you have lived here all your life and do not understand the significant of comparing a black man to a monkey. Bush is not black so it is obvious that it is an attack on him not his entire race.

Brooklyn Red Leg
02-20-2009, 02:10 AM
This is a ridiculous argument. I cannot really believe that you have lived here all your life and do not understand the significant of comparing a black man to a monkey. Bush is not black so it is obvious that it is an attack on him not his entire race.

The fucking cartoon was not making fun of Obama. Perhaps if you had paid attention in Civics class instead you would actually get the satire. As it is, you're showing that you're part of the mob mentality who reacts irrationally at the slightest provocation. There was nothing racist about the piece and to see racism in its means YOU have the problem, not us.

AutoDas
02-20-2009, 02:53 AM
get real

You didn't say the cartoonist was a segregationist, but a racist. You cannot make an objective decision like that without having some idea of what it means to be racist.

racism

1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

Democrat.

Mesogen
02-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Soo many ignorant people who do not understand the fact that CONGRESS writes the legislation. I saw many articles calling for people to boycott NY Post because of the cartoon. /facepalm

Since when does congress write bills? Corporate stooges write the bills and send them to the congressmen that they just bought off. The congressmen then introduce it and say that unless we pass this bill, everyone will die. And then the bill is passed, and the corporate fat cats make off with the loot.

Brian4Liberty
02-20-2009, 02:36 PM
Since when does congress write bills? Corporate stooges write the bills and send them to the congressmen that they just bought off. The congressmen then introduce it and say that unless we pass this bill, everyone will die. And then the bill is passed, and the corporate fat cats make off with the loot.

+1

hypnagogue
02-20-2009, 06:50 PM
I didn't associate the monkey with Obama when I saw the cartoon. All it meant to me was that a monkey could have written it.

blocks
02-20-2009, 06:55 PM

Exactly. Some of y'all are either lying to yourselves or grew up underneath a rock.

dannno
02-20-2009, 07:00 PM
I hate it when people on both sides of the argument are right and wrong at the same time.

Yes, the monkey was supposed to represent congress, or whoever wrote the legislation, and NOT Obama. Yes, it could easily be mis-interpreted to make it seem like the monkey is Obama. No, I would not have drawn that cartoon myself. No, I would not have published the cartoon myself.

It is times like these where everybody (and I don't mean everybody on this board, I mean everybody in general) needs to just back off, take a deep breath, and let it go.

It's almost as if the cartoon was purposely published in order to inflame hatred on both sides.. and neither side is helping..

TER
02-20-2009, 07:02 PM
The cartoon was in bad taste IMHO. The illustrator knew it had racist undertones.

blocks
02-20-2009, 07:10 PM
Takes a racist to know a racist.

Uhhh No...

The cartoon was in bad taste IMHO. The illustrator knew it had racist undertones.

Yeah obviously, I'm not up in arms yelling "Racist!!" I'm more offended that people cannot understand the racist implications of the cartoon. Sure, it says "write" the next bill so you can wiggle out of it by arguing the monkey was symbolizing Congress and DC as a whole rather than Obama. And there's truth in that point.

But if we back out and forget the specifics of this cartoon and you can't see why comparing a black person to a monkey is both racist and overtly offensive, then we have a problem. I can spell it out if you want; it's implying that blacks are less evolved and therefore subhuman. And that idea has been around the white supremacist circuit for ages. It's not that complicated. And me being able to recognize that implication when I see it does not make me a racist or a collectivist.

idiom
02-20-2009, 08:11 PM
Nancy Pelosi is Black?

When did that happen?

DXDoug
02-20-2009, 08:22 PM
I hate it when people on both sides of the argument are right and wrong at the same time.

Yes, the monkey was supposed to represent congress, or whoever wrote the legislation, and NOT Obama. Yes, it could easily be mis-interpreted to make it seem like the monkey is Obama. No, I would not have drawn that cartoon myself. No, I would not have published the cartoon myself.

It is times like these where everybody (and I don't mean everybody on this board, I mean everybody in general) needs to just back off, take a deep breath, and let it go.

It's almost as if the cartoon was purposely published in order to inflame hatred on both sides.. and neither side is helping..

Dito.

LOL People are all getting n a uproar over something in the paper . ITS Stupid its typical People are stupid. its not racist, unless you think it is. DUH