PDA

View Full Version : A Darfurian school house named 'Obama'

tropicangela
02-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Literally gone too far.

The students told us Obama made them believe anything was possible, that they could rise from the sands of this desert, where they don't even have shoes, and become anyone they wanted, maybe even a president. That these children, who are among humankind's most suffering living in one of the world's most hopeless places, could imagine such greatness... now that is the audacity of hope.

http://worldblog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2009/02/18/1800587.aspx

libertarian4321
02-19-2009, 01:01 AM
Literally gone too far.

http://worldblog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2009/02/18/1800587.aspx

I don't get it.

Why is this "bad."?

Would you prefer it if the sign on the school said "your life sucks and you have no hope?" While it may be accurate, I don't see how that does anyone any good.

Who knows, maybe the son of one of those kids will be President of the USA some day- its not much more far fetched than Obama's own story.

Rael
02-19-2009, 01:07 AM
I don't get it.

Why is this "bad."?

Would you prefer it if the sign on the school said "your life sucks and you have no hope?" While it may be accurate, I don't see how that does anyone any good.

Who knows, maybe the son of one of those kids will be President of the USA some day- its not much more far fetched than Obama's own story.

Blind hero worship.

Kludge
02-19-2009, 01:09 AM
Blind hero worship.

Blind antagonist hate?

libertarian4321
02-19-2009, 04:14 AM
Blind hero worship.

So its blind hero worship that there are 20 schools within a few miles of me, all named after someone- from local politicos (many of whom essentially no one remembers) to President?

Get a grip, people. They named a school after the guy. Big deal. No better or worse than the local schools here named after Kennedy, Reagan, Lincoln, Washington, both Roosevelts, Clinton, Eisenhower, Truman, George Bush (not sure which one- probably the elder) and even Franklin Pierce. And if you think its odd that a school in a foreign country is named after an American President, we even have schools here named after foreigners (e.g. Churchill).

They just named a little school after him.

They aren't carving his name into the forehead of every child with a rusty knife.

tropicangela
02-19-2009, 10:53 AM
It's not "bad" that kids have hope. It's strange that schools in the U.S. and streets in the U.S. were named after him before he was even inaugurated, and now schools and streets around the world are being named after him when he's been in office for one month.

He just proved himself to be a lying snake with the pork in the stimulus bill. He's pro-war. What is so hopeful and heroic about becoming president of a country and economically running it into the ground?

If this trend was going on with any other president mentioned above, it would be concerning as well.

weslinder
02-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Ad on this page:

http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/imgad?id=CK67_9H8m46XQBDUAxgxMgh5ytGiZ6WZVw

The_Orlonater
02-19-2009, 04:01 PM
We worship politicians more than we worship businessmen, how flattering.

BlackTerrel
02-19-2009, 09:44 PM
It's not "bad" that kids have hope. It's strange that schools in the U.S. and streets in the U.S. were named after him before he was even inaugurated, and now schools and streets around the world are being named after him when he's been in office for one month.

Here's the thing, it gives people hope. And it's a good thing, for the US and the world.

Do you know that where I grew up kids wanted to be either an athlete, a drug dealer, a rapper, or a pimp. I'm not even joking. I made something of myself went to a good school and while many supported me and I still have a ton of friends from the old neighborhood many others accused me of "acting white".

Now in those same neighborhoods being smart is considered cool. A black man in a suit with a law degree from Harvard is what all those kids want to be. That's an incredible improvement.

I don't know what Darfur is like but I imagine it's far worse from even where I grew up. If Obama gives them hope you're going to mock it? Really?