PDA

View Full Version : Voting 'No Representation' on my union decertification ballot

Rocket80
02-18-2009, 10:09 AM
I work for the city of Los Angeles and currently there is a decertification process going on against my current union. SEIU is trying to take over my existing union, which no one is really a fan of and I just got an email about an official meeting being held where the 2 sides will represent themselves and make an argument. The email also mentions that 'no representation' will be on the ballot, which is was praying for, and it says this

"If you are considering voting for Non-Representation, please respond to the sender and we will schedule a meeting to discuss our analysis of the potential consequences, potential risks and potential benefits of Non-representation. We would be happy to sponsor an exchange of ideas and points of view as we head into this union election. No union officers, staff, or shills would be invited, if there is enough interest to justify calling a Non-rep meeting.'"

Now I'm just considering if this is something I should pursue aggressively, or just vote 'no rep' and bitch to my coworkers how they should vote the same. There is a small preliminary meeting today at lunch time so I'll probably go and see what happens, because I'm sure they will try to get a feel of what we are thinking and likely directly ask us. Just not suring if making the effort to de-unionize a govt. agency is worth it, or if it has ever happened in history. Thoughts? experiences? Is it silly of me to argue that I could negotiate my own salary better than the unions could on my behalf? I dunno, I'm still organizing my thoughts before this meeting. Any succinct and smart talking points or articles would be appreciated, although I'm not sure if much will come of this. We'll see.