PDA

View Full Version : I.O.U.S.A Full Movie Torrent

Rael
02-17-2009, 10:22 PM
I've been waiting to see this, I know many of you have been too...

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4726179/I.O.U.S.A_(FULL_VERSION)__2008__%5BWEBRip.DivX-NoGrp%5D_%5BENG%5D

Soft Spoken Storm
02-17-2009, 11:20 PM
I'd appreciate seeing it as much as anyone (I missed a chance to go with the local group when it had a screening here because I was busy that night), but... If we're supporting the free market and capitalism, should we be blatantly pointing links to where people can steal someone else's intellectual property without paying fair market value?

Mahkato
02-17-2009, 11:29 PM
I'd appreciate seeing it as much as anyone (I missed a chance to go with the local group when it had a screening here because I was busy that night), but... If we're supporting the free market and capitalism, should we be blatantly pointing links to where people can steal someone else's intellectual property without paying fair market value?

Against Intellectual Monopoly (http://www.dklevine.com/general/intellectual/againstfinal.htm)

You're welcome.

Rael
02-17-2009, 11:30 PM
Not everyone believes in the concept of intellectual property. Those that do, don't have to click the link.

Liberty Rebellion
02-18-2009, 12:56 AM

I've always bought the documentaries I've downloaded and I plan on watching again or passing on to others, to help them with their next project. Same with the limited amount of music I download. If I download a good song by an artist and I like to the point where I would listen to it again, I'll end up buying their album. Otherwise, I'll just delete it.

Liberty Rebellion
02-18-2009, 12:58 AM
Oh, and thanks for the tracker link!

I have a 7xDVD burner sitting here waiting for this to download! :D

I have a community to edumacate.

cindy25
02-18-2009, 01:41 AM
there are many things not available on DVD, and a movie or TV program may just not be available in a certain locality.

in the 80s we taped TV routinely, and shared it with friends who either did not have cable, or were not home. Torrents are no different.

It would be wrong to download something and sell it.

Torrents make ineffective local TV stations boycotting certain programs (the Southern stations that would not show Nat King Cole, the bible belt stations that would not show Dark Shadows etc, or local dictators banning something they did not like. There was a story that Marcos banned a cartoon to show his son he could do it.

today-that would be looked upon as a joke. no one would have to pay attention.

nobody's_hero
02-18-2009, 06:09 AM
I hear the Somali Pirates are looking for some replacements. :(

Fill out your application here (http://www.shoppbs.org/product/index.jsp?productId=3445713).

Soft Spoken Storm
02-18-2009, 07:28 AM
Not everyone believes in the concept of intellectual property. Those that do, don't have to click the link.

As a writer and someone who's dealt with it, I believe in the concept of intellectual property. Especially if the creation of said IP involves a good deal of money being spent. In this case, you're also talking about stealing a product, which is akin to walking into a store, grabbing anything off the shelf, and walking out without paying for it. You can try to claim you don't believe in this or that to justify theft, but as long as you justify theft and openly support it, you're going to find that "credibility" thing hard to grasp.

I've been on both sides of this. I have had someone try to benefit from using my hard work. I have also dealt with a company who was so ruthless in defending their IP that you just wake up one morning and find a certified letter on your doorstep informing you that you have X number of days before they unleash their lawyers.

If I am not selling something, then I have no problem with people spreading it around (my posts to mailing lists or blogs, for example). However, if I create something with the intent of making money with it (and that was one of the intents of I.O.U.S.A.), then to take that and distribute it without paying me is theft, however you may wish to try to justify it.

Liberty Rebellion
02-18-2009, 03:37 PM

Fill out your application here (http://www.shoppbs.org/product/index.jsp?productId=3445713).

Cool thanks. Just bought it

nobody's_hero
02-18-2009, 03:41 PM
I was thinking about buying the book but if PBS will be shipping the DVD on March 10, I will probably wait and get the DVD.

They've posted a 30-minute edition on the www.iousathemovie.com website. It snagged my curiosity.

RevolutionSD
02-18-2009, 03:55 PM
I've been waiting to see this, I know many of you have been too...

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4726179/I.O.U.S.A_(FULL_VERSION)__2008__%5BWEBRip.DivX-NoGrp%5D_%5BENG%5D

That movie sucked. Barely a mention of the federal reserve. Ron Paul slamming Greenspan was its only redeeming value IMO.

cindy25
02-18-2009, 10:06 PM
As a writer and someone who's dealt with it, I believe in the concept of intellectual property. Especially if the creation of said IP involves a good deal of money being spent. In this case, you're also talking about stealing a product, which is akin to walking into a store, grabbing anything off the shelf, and walking out without paying for it. You can try to claim you don't believe in this or that to justify theft, but as long as you justify theft and openly support it, you're going to find that "credibility" thing hard to grasp.

I've been on both sides of this. I have had someone try to benefit from using my hard work. I have also dealt with a company who was so ruthless in defending their IP that you just wake up one morning and find a certified letter on your doorstep informing you that you have X number of days before they unleash their lawyers.

If I am not selling something, then I have no problem with people spreading it around (my posts to mailing lists or blogs, for example). However, if I create something with the intent of making money with it (and that was one of the intents of I.O.U.S.A.), then to take that and distribute it without paying me is theft, however you may wish to try to justify it.

copyrights have to have a reasonable expiration. if someone can't recover their investment in 25 or 50 years then too bad.

and there has to be an exception for items not available. if someone in Iran downloads Shindler's list, or someone in Mongolia downloads an episode of Bones, or an American downloads a British series no one is hurt. No sales are lost. I would even say that once something is on free TV it should be in the public domain.

and has anyone thought of posting their own movies but with advertising.

libertarian4321
02-19-2009, 03:55 AM
in the 80s we taped TV routinely, and shared it with friends who either did not have cable, or were not home. Torrents are no different.

You see no difference between taping an old movie or show from TV and then hand delivering the tape to your aunt who doesn't get the channel, and putting out a torrent of a first run movie and letting 100,000 download it?

No difference?

Really?

Wow.

Some people really have to bend over backward to justify their bad behavior...

coyote_sprit
02-19-2009, 03:58 AM
You see no difference between taping an old movie or show from TV and then hand delivering the tape to your aunt who doesn't get the channel, and putting out a torrent of a first run movie and letting 100,000 download it?

No difference?

Really?

Wow.

Either way the company isn't gonna make a buck from it.

libertarian4321
02-19-2009, 04:03 AM

Not everyone believes in the concept of private property either.

Those that don't, feel free to steal stuff from Rael's house.

Its okay as long as you can rationalize it.

Right?

Not everyone believes in a lot of the laws that society expects us to follow. That doesn't mean that those who don't believe in a certain law should be free to disregard that law with impunity.

Hell, what if I decide I should be free to crack you over the head with a 2" x 4"? Is that okay as long as I "don't believe in laws against assault and battery?"

Or should I maybe spend some time in jail for that act if I were to commit it?

No, I'm not equating assault and battery with piracy- I'm just pointing out that society doesn't work very well when we get to pick and choose which laws we think we should follow and not expect consequences for our actions.

Bman
02-19-2009, 04:06 AM

You're going to have a tough time with the AIP crowd. They believe that things that can only be used by one person at a time warrent s ownership. That ideas are plentiful and can be used by many at once so they have no exclusive rights to one person. Now as a musician I agree with you. If the ideas were so plentiful why didn't the other person create that which I had created first. There is an overwhelming lack of respect for the creative process. If you start getting bombarded by haters I'd say to ignore it.

It's a fundamentals disagreement based on opinion of what can be owned.

AutoDas
02-19-2009, 09:25 AM
Private property rights have to be based on some sort of foundation. I think you have to ask yourself if property rights are absolute (self-ownership) or are they artificial (social contract).

tropicangela
02-19-2009, 12:40 PM
It looks like the full version is on Google Vid.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2351589582583460372

Gaius1981
02-19-2009, 12:45 PM
I would like to think that the majority of people here are capitalists, who stand up for intellectual property. The looters who don't, should read Atlas Shrugged.

WayBehind
02-19-2009, 01:42 PM

No difference?

Really?

Wow.

So let me get this straight: sharing a movie with a friend isn't stealing, but putting up a torrent and sharing it with 100,000 "friends" is? So what's the magic number? Sharing it with 5 people? 10? 1,000? At what point does it become stealing? I'd like to know for future reference.

pcosmar
02-19-2009, 02:22 PM
I watched the movie for free online.
I did not download it of share it.
But if it is openly shown and view able, I think that any other argument is moot.

Pretty dumb movie, btw.:p

mediahasyou
02-19-2009, 03:39 PM

PBS is funded by theft. If you believe in IP, torrenting is theft. What is the fucking difference?

Reason
02-20-2009, 03:05 AM
Pretty dumb movie, btw.:p

WTF :mad:

This is by far one of the best documentaries about the financial situation/history...

It is VERY well done.

H Roark
02-20-2009, 03:48 AM

No difference?

Really?

Wow.

Haven't you heard? Its okay to steal the fruits of somebody else's labor as long as you don't work within the arts and its convenient for you to do so.