PDA

View Full Version : Big Brother is Watching: Cameras and Mic(s) in DTV converter boxes

Athan
02-17-2009, 08:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ4iIM8Eljc

Digg
http://digg.com/gadgets/Surprise_Your_on_Candid_Camera_for_real

ItsTime
02-17-2009, 08:33 PM
its not real until someone like liberty eagle buys one and a camera is there.

Expatriate
02-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Youtube's down. :(

axiomata
02-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Not convinced.

speciallyblend
02-17-2009, 08:39 PM
its not real until someone like liberty eagle buys one and a camera is there.

yep,so liberty eagle let us know;)

not convinced as well.

Zippyjuan
02-17-2009, 08:43 PM
People are buying a DTV converter box because they are not connected to any sort of cable or satallite TV system. If there was a camera in these $40 boxes (which would add to their cost) there is no way for someone to access the images even if there was a camera in it. Unless they installed some form of WiFi- again adding to the cost. Not happening.

voytechs
02-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Not convinced. Looks more like the infrared remote receiver to me.

Athan
02-17-2009, 08:46 PM
Well it would be sweet if it wasn't true!

axiomata
02-17-2009, 08:48 PM
Try hooking up a TV to the coaxial input (where your cable line or line to your antenna usually goes). If you get video then it is a camera. Until there is real proof, this thread is a waste.

Austin
02-17-2009, 08:51 PM
People are buying a DTV converter box because they are not connected to any sort of cable or satallite TV system. If there was a camera in these $40 boxes (which would add to their cost) there is no way for someone to access the images even if there was a camera in it. Unless they installed some form of WiFi- again adding to the cost. Not happening.

This was just a test run. They wanted to see how the people would respond to being forced to buy new equipment to watch TV. Soon, they will make a law requiring everything be broadcast in HD, and those units will have advanced interaction features (AIF) to make the experience better.. Both audio and visual input are included the AIF standard (Category B, that is. Category A is only audio). The best way to implement something fishy like this is right out in the open. Oh yeah, and the new HD DTV boxes will have Wi-Fi included, that way it can connect with your computer, so you can interact with it much easier.

:)

;):rolleyes:

Nyte
02-17-2009, 08:51 PM
lol... the camera is mounted on the high voltage transformer...

conspiracy fail

Danke
02-17-2009, 08:52 PM
It's true.

I was having problems with reception, so I went outside with a friend to adjust the antenna. (BTW, my friend and I previously had a conversation that it might not be the antenna but the box that was giving us trouble and maybe we should just disconnected it)

Well, the damn thing locked us outside while we were looking at the antenna!!

FrankRep
02-17-2009, 08:54 PM
I want to see more opened ones before I make a judgment.

Expatriate
02-17-2009, 08:58 PM
I'm pretty sure this is a hoax, unfortunately. The Youtube account was created yesterday, the same day the video was uploaded, yet doesn't let on that it was created for the purpose. One of the posters also claims that they opened their box up and there was no camera/mike.

I am afraid this is just someone "crying wolf" as usual. But by all means open up your box if you're not sure.

speciallyblend
02-17-2009, 10:04 PM
I'm pretty sure this is a hoax, unfortunately. The Youtube account was created yesterday, the same day the video was uploaded, yet doesn't let on that it was created for the purpose. One of the posters also claims that they opened their box up and there was no camera/mike.

I am afraid this is just someone "crying wolf" as usual. But by all means open up your box if you're not sure.

just cover the box and play megadeth on the stereo:)

i wonder how many folks will now take a bong hit infront of their cable boxes. see if homeland security comes after a 100 fine:)

Knock,Knock Yes? this is the police. Open your door now or we will bust it down. you were caught taking bong hits to the comedy channel shows of stewart and colbert!! Your under arrest and you owe the cable company 105 dollars!!

Uriel999
02-17-2009, 10:32 PM
This was just a test run. They wanted to see how the people would respond to being forced to buy new equipment to watch TV. Soon, they will make a law requiring everything be broadcast in HD, and those units will have advanced interaction features (AIF) to make the experience better.. Both audio and visual input are included the AIF standard (Category B, that is. Category A is only audio). The best way to implement something fishy like this is right out in the open. Oh yeah, and the new HD DTV boxes will have Wi-Fi included, that way it can connect with your computer, so you can interact with it much easier.

:)

;):rolleyes:

Oh god your getting me sold on big government if they demand all tv stations broadcast in HD, I have an HDTV. :P And while hooking up via hdmi cord not too bad, wirelessly hooked up would be the shit. You just sound anti-technology

micahnelson
02-17-2009, 10:37 PM
Have two of that model, has no camera. Thank you. Come again. Want me to post pics of what it really looks like, or are those already out there on the net?

Austin
02-17-2009, 11:37 PM
Oh god your getting me sold on big government if they demand all tv stations broadcast in HD, I have an HDTV. :P And while hooking up via hdmi cord not too bad, wirelessly hooked up would be the shit. You just sound anti-technology

:D

That's actually just my fantasy (sans government spying). 480i looks like crap on an HDTV, it's a disgrace really.