PDA

View Full Version : who is your favorite president?

mstrmac1
02-16-2009, 11:47 PM
Jefferson is mine!

amy31416
02-16-2009, 11:52 PM
Jefferson.

He had his flaws, but his good outweighed it.

Athan
02-17-2009, 12:02 AM
George Washington
Jefferson
Madison
Adams
Cleveland

(Note: They are based on my love of their character instead of hard detail Presidential management)

mstrmac1
02-17-2009, 12:08 AM
cleveland? help me on that one.

Young Paleocon
02-17-2009, 12:14 AM
In no particular order, Coolidge, Cleveland, Tylerl

RevolutionSD
02-17-2009, 12:16 AM
None of the above. All are authoritarian politicians.
Even Jefferson side-stepped congress to engage in a war in the middle east. He had some good quotes but he was not good for liberty as a president.

nate895
02-17-2009, 12:21 AM
None of the above. All are authoritarian politicians.
Even Jefferson side-stepped congress to engage in a war in the middle east. He had some good quotes but he was not good for liberty as a president.

The Merchant Marine was being attacked, and so the Navy was sent out to protect it. Unless Naval ships don't have the right to defend themselves without the express permission of Congress, I find it ridiculous to blame Jefferson for it.

mstrmac1
02-17-2009, 12:24 AM
jefferson attacked the middle east?

nate895
02-17-2009, 12:25 AM
jefferson attacked the middle east?

The Barbary Wars, the North African princes (pirates) demanded tribute to not attack their ships. Jefferson told them to go screw themselves and sent the Navy to protect the Merchant Marine.

Jeremy
02-17-2009, 12:25 AM
I'd say Coolidge probably.

puppetmaster
02-17-2009, 01:46 AM
jefferson

mport1
02-17-2009, 02:06 AM
Peyton Randolph.

Athan
02-17-2009, 02:18 AM

He was an honest man and genuinely did try to adhere to the Constitution even during the panic of 1893

acptulsa
02-17-2009, 07:40 AM
Probably Jefferson, if for no other reason than the amendment process. That said, Will Rogers had a point:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=130543

Of the last hundred years' worth, I'm with Will. Certainly haven't had a decent one since his death.

speciallyblend
02-17-2009, 08:14 AM
Bush is the GREATEST PRESIDENT EVER:) (sarcasm)

DAFTEK
02-17-2009, 08:16 AM
http://www.wizardscave.com/Pictures/RonPaulHope.gif

speciallyblend
02-17-2009, 08:23 AM
http://www.wizardscave.com/Pictures/RonPaulHope.gif

yep. he will always be my president ,no matter what the corrupt gop leadership liars say.
Ron Paul would have easily beat obama if the gop had given him a chance.

the gop did everything in their power to stop the ron paul campaign!!

The GOP Leadership deserves obama and the gop elected obama!!!

Gaius1981
02-17-2009, 09:20 AM
George Washington is a no-brainer – he's the greatest hero history has ever seen. Other than him, I'd go with Grover Cleveland – the most laissez-faire President.

Jeremy
02-17-2009, 09:28 AM
Jefferson, Jackson, Coolidge, Carter I respect.

Glad you dumped Hoover. :P But Carter was one of our worse presidents I think.... o.0 .. he supported huge government. Sometimes I wonder where you get your favorites from lol. And I personally wouldn't put Jackson, but whatever

werdd
02-17-2009, 04:21 PM
Split between jackson and washington.

ChaosControl
02-17-2009, 04:39 PM
Jefferson.

Truth Warrior
02-17-2009, 06:03 PM
The final one.

DJ24966
02-17-2009, 06:12 PM
Ron Paul... wait... he isn't president... but who cares

werdd
02-17-2009, 06:50 PM
The final one.

lol :P.

Obligatory copy and paste?

fletcher
02-17-2009, 07:19 PM
William Henry Harrison probably did the least amount of damage, so I'll go with him.

Stary Hickory
02-17-2009, 08:47 PM
Thomas Jefferson by far, although I like Andrew Jackson as well

psalm82x3
02-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Recently, Reagan and JFK. Wish I could say Bobby Kennedy too, but he got shot before making it to office. Lincoln sort of makes this list too, although he was not my favorite president, he was still a decent if flawed man. Sucks to have integrity. God help us.

Matthew 10:16 I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.

user
02-17-2009, 09:03 PM
Recently, Reagan and JFK. Wish I could say Bobby Kennedy too, but he got shot before making it to office. Lincoln sort of makes this list too, although he was not my favorite president, he was still a decent if flawed man. Sucks to have integrity. God help us.

Matthew 10:16 I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.
And you've been here since Dec 2007? :eek:

psalm82x3
02-17-2009, 09:13 PM
And you've been here since Dec 2007? :eek:

I'm an OG baby. Just when they count me out, I come back swinging. I first learned about Ron Paul from our mutual interest in Austrian economics in 06 or so. Anyways, those three presidents Lincoln, JFK, and Reagan all have in common at least two things. They opposed central banking and got shot. I'm just saying. It does not take a conspiracy nutjob to put that together.

Not that I am implying causality, just an odd coincidence. Look into it for yourself, and make up your own mind.

Also, check out the 82nd psalm through verse 5.

Psalm 82
A psalm of Asaph.
1 God presides in the great assembly;
he gives judgment among the "gods":

2 "How long will you [a] defend the unjust
and show partiality to the wicked?
Selah

3 Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless;
maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed.

4 Rescue the weak and needy;
deliver them from the hand of the wicked.

5 "They know nothing, they understand nothing.
They walk about in darkness;
all the foundations of the earth are shaken.

trey4sports
02-17-2009, 09:18 PM
ill stand up for Reagan and JFK as well. Reagan to a greater extent than JFK.
JFK drafted an executive order which would have printed up bills backed by silver!
while Reagan didnt exactly create massive change he did shrink gov't slightly as well as adopt supply side economics which is much friendlier to liberty than Keynsian

Unspun
02-17-2009, 09:26 PM
In no particular order, Coolidge, Cleveland, Tylerl

I pretty much agree with this.

I liked Jefferson's rhetoric, but as president he expanded government a great deal. So, with exception of letting the Alien and Sedition Acts expire and the abolishing the national bank, he did nothing spectacularly great during his presidency,

rajibo
02-17-2009, 09:26 PM
It was Jefferson until I read Ivan Eland's critique of him in his new book. He's still my favorite founder, but it seems most of our founders were all most respectable before and after their presidencies.

I guess I'll just say my favorite president is now Zaphod Beeblebrox.

user
02-17-2009, 09:35 PM
he did shrink gov't

No, Reagan made the government bigger.

DAFTEK
02-17-2009, 09:40 PM
No, Reagan made the government bigger.

:confused: Are you confused?

rajibo
02-17-2009, 10:00 PM

http://www.mises.org/article.aspx?Id=1544

Mini-Me
02-17-2009, 10:12 PM
Whenever I think about this question, it always reminds me of just how little time we ever spent learning about the good Presidents back in school. I honestly can't make an educated decision without rereading everything about American History. Coolidge and Cleveland were certainly well above average, and so were Jefferson and Jackson (at least by today's standard), barring a few notably exceptional decisions for each...but I'm sure there were some other overlooked Presidents as well. Giving a definitive answer would require a history refresher! :)

user
02-17-2009, 10:26 PM

No.

Kludge
02-17-2009, 10:32 PM
Really, most of them have been pretty shitty, many with selfish motives destroying any good they may have done.

Grover Cleveland is my favorite president. He was firm and cordial with other nations, but non-interventionist, favored free trade, and is relatively without blemish regarding humanitarian tragedies committed.

Second place goes to Calvin Coolidge, for his humble domestic policy. He was an Anti-Federalist who opposed excessive taxation and economic regulation by the federal government. He also FINALLY extended citizenship to Indians, which had been long overdue.

Third place goes to Hoover, but I don't like him. However, I don't dislike him. He had good domestic policy, especially with regards to Indians, but he started to fall apart once the media was in a frenzy over the depression and Hoover started signing in "Government Can Fix It" economic laws.

As for the rest of them, I believe they did more harm than good.

Jeremy
02-17-2009, 10:52 PM
Really, most of them have been pretty shitty, many with selfish motives destroying any good they may have done.

Grover Cleveland is my favorite president. He was firm and cordial with other nations, but non-interventionist, favored free trade, and is relatively without blemish regarding humanitarian tragedies committed.

Second place goes to Calvin Coolidge, for his humble domestic policy. He was an Anti-Federalist who opposed excessive taxation and economic regulation by the federal government. He also FINALLY extended citizenship to Indians, which had been long overdue.

Third place goes to Hoover, but I don't like him. However, I don't dislike him. He had good domestic policy, especially with regards to Indians, but he started to fall apart once the media was in a frenzy over the depression and Hoover started signing in "Government Can Fix It" economic laws.

As for the rest of them, I believe they did more harm than good.

I don't understand how you can put Hoover at 3rd when he contributed to the Great Depression.

Kludge
02-17-2009, 10:57 PM
I don't understand how you can put Hoover at 3rd when he contributed to the Great Depression.

Easily. The rest sucked even more. Jefferson had fairly decent economic policies, was anti-intervention, but his treatment of non-Whites (slave owning and Indian removal) in the United States was disgusting, far worse than any decrease in the standard of living or increase in taxation. Did you know that Jefferson's quote regarding watering the "Tree of Liberty" was used when talking of crushing a tax rebellion?

hotbrownsauce
02-17-2009, 11:33 PM
Jefferson then Madison =)
nice post.....

Truth Warrior
02-18-2009, 06:35 AM

It only became "THE GREAT DEPRESSION" under FDR. :p

Bernanke: Federal Reserve caused Great Depression
Fed chief says, 'We did it. very sorry, won't do it again'
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=59405 (http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=59405)

lynnf
02-18-2009, 07:32 AM

Lincoln? come on -- he's the greatest tyrant of all the presidents, even greater than Bush as far as we can tell right now. no true freedom lover would even think about Lincoln for this category. only those that believe the propagenda of the MSM/PTB

lynn

RSLudlum
02-22-2009, 09:09 PM

Maybe this presentation by Lawrence Reed (president of FEE) on Cleveland will help you out. ;)

http://blip.tv/file/1506397/

satchelmcqueen
02-22-2009, 10:07 PM
President Ronald Paul of texas.

paulpwns
02-23-2009, 12:55 AM
Haha yep, did more research.... Jackson was a man of the people, brought the national debt down to zero, and stood up to the national bank.

Unless those people were the hundreds of thousands of natives that he slaughtered.

Kevin_Kennedy
02-23-2009, 01:25 AM
William Henry Harrison probably did the least amount of damage, so I'll go with him.

Same here.

specsaregood
02-23-2009, 01:31 AM
I'm going to have to go with the only president to ever pay off the national debt. What he did with the indians was shitty, but I'll still give him the edge with the no debt aspect.

BarryDonegan
02-23-2009, 02:37 AM
calvin fricken coolidge.

RedStripe
02-23-2009, 04:54 AM
William Henry Harrison, no question.

ClayTrainor
02-23-2009, 05:25 AM
Well i'im still learning lots about the founding fathers, and am fairly new to the material but so far Washington is my favorite president, although Jefferson and Franklin are my favorite founding fathers :cool:

werdd
02-23-2009, 06:39 AM
Unless those people were the hundreds of thousands of natives that he slaughtered.

That is how they marginalize jackson in history. They forget why he killed the national bank.

Im sort of a trail of tears revisionist for this reason.

Coming from somebody with significant indian ancestory

gb13
02-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Not my favorite, but Van Buren doesn't get enought credit. He stood up to the central banks hardcore. He was president during the paninc of 1837. Hard time to be president, but, as far as I know, remained true to economic liberty. Called for a treasury that was not connected to state institutions, followed in the footsteps of Jackson. In fact he was one of Jackson's closest advisors, I believe.

I know he had his faults, but they all do. As I said, he's not my fav, but he does deserve some credit for his opposition to the the banks and big-government.

http://mises.org/story/2201

Lovecraftian4Paul
02-23-2009, 06:48 PM
My greatest respect goes to: Jefferson, Andrew Jackson, Coolidge, and Kennedy (in that order).

heavenlyboy34
02-23-2009, 06:53 PM
My greatest respect goes to: Jefferson, Andrew Jackson, Coolidge, and Kennedy (in that order).

+1, don't forget Harrison. ;)

ClayTrainor
02-23-2009, 06:59 PM
I mean this with all sincerity, Ron Paul would be best president in history.

I believe he understands the constitution as well, or better than some of our founders, like Hamilton for example.

nbruno322
02-23-2009, 08:16 PM
Favorite: Thomas Jefferson and Andrew Jackson (both shut down central banks in the US)

Worst: Woodrow Wilson who gave us:
-The Federal Reserve System
-The Federal Income Tax
- The notion that it was a duty to "spread democracy"
-The seeds of globalism in American policy
-Unnecessary US entry into WWI

Though Lincoln, FDR, the Bushes, and Clinton sure give him a run for the worst.

GBurr
02-23-2009, 08:32 PM
Washington is number 1.

I don't know how some of you even mention Lincoln. Lincoln is #1 on my worst Presidents list.

Lets see what good old Honest Abe did. My buddy wrote a note on facebook about this very subject. He came up with the following list.

· Instigated the South to secede by having economic policies that would benefit the North and the expense of the South

· After the South seceded, he refused to remove troops from Union forts in the South, which started the Civil War

· Killed more Americans than any other President

· Waged all out war on civilians, praising Sherman for his ruthless rampage through the South in which whole towns were destroyed including ever man, woman (those that weren’t raped that is), and child

· He raised tariffs, which were paid for primarily by the South, and used the money to give corporate welfare to the North

· He created a central bank to print money to pay for his war on the South, which caused inflation to rise, and hurt the economy

· He started a national draft for the first time in history, which led to riots and the imprisonment of thousands of war resisters and pacifists

· He ended even the concept of the “government by consent” by using force to make the South be ruled by the North

· Imprisoned and deported political opponents including a Congressman

· Was a racist, and did not free a single slave during his time in office

· Essentially used the army to secure the 1964 election, which he would’ve otherwise lost

· Has caused the public schooling system in this country to attempt to justify his murder, destruction, and mayhem ultimately contributing to a nationwide lack of respect for human life

· Had several thousand blacks deported

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
02-23-2009, 10:13 PM
Since you did not specify that it had to be a United States President than I am going to go with Jefferson Davis.