PDA

View Full Version : Sorry citizens of Kansas - No Tax Refunds for you!!

Cowlesy
02-16-2009, 02:14 PM
Well, not yet at least. And in fact, if you're a state employee...you may or may not get paid next Friday.

Ya'll are broke!

http://www.kansas.com/735/story/701750.html

Philmanoman
02-16-2009, 02:21 PM
wonder how hard Kansas will be working to get some of those stimulus funds...

Ex Post Facto
02-16-2009, 02:27 PM
An excellent time for everyone to change their tax with-holdings to get the most money back in your check.

ihsv
02-16-2009, 02:35 PM
Some of the comments on that article are pure gold :D

LittleLightShining
02-16-2009, 02:40 PM
*Big exhale*

I think Celente may be onto something. Folks who pay their taxes won't see a refund yet the state still can't afford the bills. What's the point in paying then. Wow.

I'm on another non-political board right now talking politics with some lefties and holy cow! The ignorance is astounding. A woman actually just said this in response to someone else:
Haha, it doesn't upset me (why do you keep thinking that you're upsetting people when in reality, it is just an exchange of ideas?), I was just asking why you really think our government should be smaller.

I know we're in the crapper right now and certain things need to be fixed. But at the same time, at the end of the day, I live a decent and stable life, without want for anything. So, I don't think the structure of government needs to change. From my standpoint, it appears that you want a radical change, as if everything is broken. I agree we're in a rough patch, but we do not live in a broken government.

We just don't. The types of lifestyles that we lead attest to this fact.

angelatc
02-16-2009, 02:40 PM
So the Democrat wants to borrow money already earmarked for other items, while the GOP legislature wants her to make budget cuts.

ihsv
02-16-2009, 02:44 PM
Haha, it doesn't upset me (why do you keep thinking that you're upsetting people when in reality, it is just an exchange of ideas?), I was just asking why you really think our government should be smaller.

I know we're in the crapper right now and certain things need to be fixed. But at the same time, at the end of the day, I live a decent and stable life, without want for anything. So, I don't think the structure of government needs to change. From my standpoint, it appears that you want a radical change, as if everything is broken. I agree we're in a rough patch, but we do not live in a broken government.

We just don't. The types of lifestyles that we lead attest to this fact.

His/Her dream will shortly become a nightmare.

LittleLightShining
02-16-2009, 02:47 PM
His/Her dream will shortly become a nightmare.She can't say she hasn't been warned now.

ihsv
02-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Check out this little gem from the comments:

Wichita Eagle needs to review the LONG LIST of people who are on the Kansas Warrant page for not paying their taxes. If any of them are living in a house and living the high life they need to be videotaped and displayed as criminals and shown on tv. These "people" need to pay their taxes or be put to live on a poor farm and made to work for free for the state, until at minumum wage they pay off their debt to society. THESE ARE THE REAL CROOKS.
Wichita Eagle please do a report on how much these "people" owe, why they owe, why they can not pay their taxes, how "well" do they live etc...

RoyalShock
02-16-2009, 03:58 PM
As a Kansan, I am quite pleased that the GOP leadership is following the law and not caving at the behest of our Democrat governor. It is these types of standoffs that must be won if there is any hope for smaller government. Force the governor to cut spending and comply with the law if she wants those funds transfers. There's a reason the law is written that way.

salinaspaul
02-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Here's the supposed breakdown of the stimulus going to KS...

http://www.stimuluswatch.org/project/by_state/KS

As a Texan living in Kansas, I'm less than enthused that these clowns get to get away with stuff like this...

:mad:

JP2010
02-16-2009, 04:37 PM
All they are is dust in the wind

ItsTime
02-16-2009, 04:50 PM
So whens the revolt? Or are all you people in Kansas going to sit there like a bunch of pussies?

sarahgop
02-16-2009, 05:40 PM
can taxpayers suspend tax payments?

s35wf
02-16-2009, 05:47 PM
can taxpayers suspend tax payments?

one can only try as hard as possible to get by without paying in. its very difficult anymore. there is almost NO under the table work out there anymore :(

Johnnybags
02-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Unions not getting paid? Revolt. How about gutting government spending? The "State" mentality has reached critical mass, not enough contributions to match the welfare state spending.

thasre
02-16-2009, 06:18 PM
I'm a Kansan who lives in Missouri, so I don't really feel too invested in this, but my parents and extended family have been pushing for 2 years for TaBoR and other reforms to get government spending and taxation to reasonable levels. They managed to get my hometown's city manager fired (well, they got him to resign) for basically being totally incompetent. (Our city budget was about 2-3 times larger than the budgets of similar sized cities, and our town leadership prides itself on being "full-service" when neighboring towns contract things like garbage collection out to private providers for less money and better service.)

Kansas has real issues with thinking they can tax wealth that the state doesn't have and spend it on things the state doesn't need. I wonder if anyone else from KS on these forums remember when the State was going to have to postpone the school year because the Legislature and the Governor couldn't agree on an education budget? That was pretty fun stuff... it's really too bad they got it resolve :P.

american.swan
02-16-2009, 06:47 PM
My favorite response on that article in the OP was the "So I can refuse to pay my taxes this year because I too have a 9 person panel." hahahaha

tonesforjonesbones
02-16-2009, 06:51 PM
I caught that "dust in the wind". hey..I was listening to Lindsey Williams on Alex Jones yesterday..he said that more states are going to go bankrupt..and this is the plan..they government bails them out in trade for their 10th amendment rights. This is bad. tones

Pennsylvania
02-16-2009, 07:48 PM
they government bails them out in trade for their 10th amendment rights. This is bad. tones

Not like we have many left :eek:

But yeah it could definitely get worse.

homah
02-16-2009, 08:01 PM

their govt is at the point of no return.

Pauls' Revere
02-16-2009, 08:09 PM
let em see if I got this straight.

We pay taxes to the government, the government spends the money. Government cant pay people tax refunds, but can print $1 trillion dollars for the economy?...wha??

madengr
02-16-2009, 08:23 PM
let em see if I got this straight.

We pay taxes to the government, the government spends the money. Government cant pay people tax refunds, but can print $1 trillion dollars for the economy?...wha??

Only the federal government can print the money.

I owe KS a couple hundred this year. Guess I won't pay until they release the money to others. Maybe I'll just pay directly to someone owed a refund and we can bypass the bureaucrats.

KS Constitution forbids running a deficit so this is really a show down between the conservative legislature and our liberal-left governess. If they want to save money they should raze all the public schools.

I Am Weasel
02-16-2009, 08:38 PM

I owe KS a couple hundred this year. Guess I won't pay until they release the money to others. Maybe I'll just pay directly to someone owed a refund and we can bypass the bureaucrats.

KS Constitution forbids running a deficit so this is really a show down between the conservative legislature and our liberal-left governess. If they want to save money they should raze all the public schools.

raze all the public schools? HA! I know Goddard has built so many schools it's unreal, now Maize is joining in along with others around Sedgwick county.

I Am Weasel
02-16-2009, 08:40 PM
Here's the supposed breakdown of the stimulus going to KS...

http://www.stimuluswatch.org/project/by_state/KS

As a Texan living in Kansas, I'm less than enthused that these clowns get to get away with stuff like this...

:mad:

A Texan in Kansas? WTF? Umm... there's no state income tax in Texas, why would u wanna mess around with our idiotic policies up here for? Personally I'm ashamed to be a Kansan today.

JK/SEA
02-16-2009, 08:42 PM

lol~

Pauls' Revere
02-16-2009, 08:44 PM

I'm sure Kansas will be in a long line of other states receiving federal funds.

madengr
02-16-2009, 08:54 PM
All the states are in line for the federal pork.

If one reads the article, the state is not broke. There is money available in other bank accounts. This is a show-down to keep the state from becoming broke. Queen Kathleen wants to plunder the cash from other accounts. The legislature will not let her borrow it until she cuts spending to guarantee it will be paid back. So I'm glad this is happening. It is waking people up. I hope it shuts down the government. Now if only the federal government would shut down too. Maybe when people don't get their refund they will finally realize taxation is theft.

wizardwatson
02-18-2009, 01:41 PM
I caught that "dust in the wind". hey..I was listening to Lindsey Williams on Alex Jones yesterday..he said that more states are going to go bankrupt..and this is the plan..they government bails them out in trade for their 10th amendment rights. This is bad. tones

Well, no state can sign over an individuals 10th amendment right. The Constitution says "or to the people".

RoyalShock
02-18-2009, 01:47 PM
As an update, the governor ended up signing the bill to balance the budget so the funds transfers would be approved by the State Finance Council.

http://www.hutchnews.com/Todaystop/cash2009-02-17T20-55-02

youngbuck
02-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Well, no state can sign over an individuals 10th amendment right. The Constitution says "or to the people".

You're correct, but I doubt the Federal gov't cares.

I swear, we're living in the twilight zone.