PDA

View Full Version : Ugh!!!

hopeforamerica
09-14-2007, 12:27 AM
I just got back from a fun night of volleyball. The woman I carpool with saw my Ron Paul sign outside my house.

Her: "Hey didn't that guy drop out of the race?"
Me: "Uh no, not by a long shot."
Her: "Well the media doesn't talk about him at all."
Me: "I know, what would you like to know about him."

I did my thing, but I can't believe she thought he had dropped out! Then she proceeded to tell me that she was working at our local voting station, and none of the people there knew who he was.

We still have tons of work to do!!

JosephTheLibertarian
09-14-2007, 12:30 AM
I just got back from a fun night of volleyball. The woman I carpool with saw my Ron Paul sign outside my house.

I did my thing, but I can't believe she thought he had dropped out! Then she proceeded to tell me that she was working at our local voting station, and none of the people there knew who he was.

We still have these pockets, but it's ok. Word will reach all 300,000,000

ctb619
09-14-2007, 12:31 AM
She works at a local voting station but doesn't bother to pay attention to the presidential campaign.

Slugg
09-14-2007, 12:33 AM

My common response to "Well the media doesn't cover him" is:

"That's because he hasn't made any sex tapes, tried to pick up a male policeman in the restroom, or had questionable encounters with children. Oh, and hasn't had any multi-million dollar scandals. Everyone else has had something like that...so they get the airwaves."

edit-I don't actually say that exactly, but that's the idea I'm trying to convey. That the media covers scandals and those involved with scandals (at some point or another). Ron is 'flawless' and in MSM dictionary that means 'boring' ... I try to make it sound like the more coverage a candidate gets, the worse he or she must really be.

I think it's easier to play that card than to take the stance of "MSM is evil"...most people just aren't ready for the "MSM is evil" bit...

hopeforamerica
09-14-2007, 12:34 AM
She works at a local voting station but doesn't bother to pay attention to the presidential campaign.

She did it for the $$. She's kind of broke. And not very politically astute. We don't breach politics much when we talk. I'll chip away at her, but most likely she'll vote the way her husband does. It's a sad fact for many women I know. They just don't follow politics. Heck, I never did until I found Ron Paul.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-14-2007, 12:37 AM
She did it for the $$. She's kind of broke. And not very politically astute. We don't breach politics much when we talk. I'll chip away at her, but most likely she'll vote the way her husband does. It's a sad fact for many women I know. They just don't follow politics. Heck, I never did until I found Ron Paul.

yup... millions of women vote the way they're told lol

mdh
09-14-2007, 12:40 AM

My wife even serves as a delegate as she's told... :D

hopeforamerica
09-14-2007, 12:48 AM
My wife even serves as a delegate as she's told... :D

Maybe not as they are told, but inlfuenced by their husband. My husband has a huge influence on how I see the world. I respect his opinions and know that he studies the issues. I honestly never bothered before. My priorities were my family. Now that I have listened to some of the radio shows he listens to, and read the websites he views, I've come around. I don't know, I just never gave it any thought before. It's a sad and embarrassing fact. But, damn, I'm making up for it now!!! I work very hard to stay on top of it, and spread the word. Hopefully more women like me will see the light too.

Slugg
09-14-2007, 01:03 AM
Maybe not as they are told, but inlfuenced by their husband. My husband has a huge influence on how I see the world. I respect his opinions and know that he studies the issues. I honestly never bothered before. My priorities were my family. Now that I have listened to some of the radio shows he listens to, and read the websites he views, I've come around. I don't know, I just never gave it any thought before. It's a sad and embarrassing fact. But, damn, I'm making up for it now!!! I work very hard to stay on top of it, and spread the word. Hopefully more women like me will see the light too.

Don't feel bad. I betcha' 60% of the people behind Ron didn't follow politics before him. I know I didn't (nor did my wife). That's part of the Great Awakening going on right now.

hopeforamerica
09-14-2007, 01:07 AM
Don't feel bad. I betcha' 60% of the people behind Ron didn't follow politics before him. I know I didn't (nor did my wife). That's part of the Great Awakening going on right now.

It's hard not to feel bad. I feel partially responsible for letting this go on! But, I will make up for it :)

BTW...how many posts does is take to become more than just a "member"?

njandrewg
09-14-2007, 01:11 AM
probably 100

thuja
09-14-2007, 01:29 AM
It's hard not to feel bad. I feel partially responsible for letting this go on! But, I will make up for it :)

BTW...how many posts does is take to become more than just a "member"?

dont feel so bad. we didnt have anyone to vote for till now. this is our first and probably last chance though.

i talked to several people yesterday who never hard of Paul, but they were all happy to hear of him.

LibertyEagle
09-14-2007, 02:17 AM

You guys are hanging around with the wrong women. No one I know is like that.

BarryDonegan
09-14-2007, 06:27 AM
the great awakening is the revitalization of the libertarian base of the the American right. I think it goes in cycles, just we're due for a really hardcore one of we want to protect our status as a constitutional republic.

remember the US has been worse off stability wise when the executive power got out of control... from my perspective the US Civil War was actually a result of Andrew Jackson's abuse of executive power, by refusing to execute judicial mandates he didn't approve of that resulted in an overextension of executive power in common law... that got so bad it had to be resolved by a bloody and terrible civil war, which in the opinion of lysander spooner, individualist anarchists,and some libertarians ended the US CITIZENS contract with the US Federal Government by breaching the constitution. It was the correct time to exercise the 2nd ammendment as a check and balance, and it failed.

oversimplifying the civil war as a slavery issue is what has lead to the problems of today; it began a culture of creedism, where having certain beliefs(or being accused of having them falsely) were a reason to disqualify your constitutional protection and civil liberties.

you see antisemite, racist, terrorist, fundamentalist, all these types of terms thrown around as justification to bypass all the normal protections given every living and breathing human in the country all the time. these are used to smear political campaigns, ideas, and other things that are not associated with the racism thats purported of it.

a prime example of this is calling someone who sympathizes with palestine an anti-semite.

first of all palestinian people ARE semites, moreso than the people who moved into the region, and obviously feeling the palestinians have a right to the homeland they were living in does not require you buy into a belief system of hate; in fact pro-israeli sentiment isn't even officially considered an official jewish thing, yet you can find yourself quickly smeared as anti-semitic if you don't support israel, by a select few individuals with personal political motivations. (including fundamentalist islamists, zionist(secular pro-israel) jews, feaux-news neocon christian(in name, not in deed) types, who all benefit from a permanent conflict between those subcultures of worship of the SAME GOD).

this is all funny because the entire conflict is not accepted by any member of the moderate, or liberal versions of the religious movements, so in a sense, being liberally religious can somehow affiliate you with hatred.(which is ironic for 3 VERY PEACEFUL RELIGIOUS GROUPS!) myself, personally, i am unitarian and believe that all paths to God are essentially the same thing, and that only politicalization of religion causes conflict,and manipulation of otherwise wise and valuable philosophical sentiments into vehicles of destruction. i oppose any instrument of Government violence besides defensive war, which includes, at the present time, to me, the death penalty, and abortion(until im proven beyond any shadow of doubt that life begins at a time other than conception). obviously i don't advocate hate, but i could be associated with that politically by opposing human rights violations perpetrated by israel. which is clearly a major problem logically.