PDA

View Full Version : AP:"Trade a gun for a rose in SC on Valentine's Day" ~Disarming the People Propaganda

nbruno322
02-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Defenseless Population = SLAVES

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090214/ap_on_fe_st/odd_guns_for_roses

COLUMBIA, S.C. – Police in South Carolina gave away roses on Valentine's Day. All you had to do to get one for your sweetie was turn in a gun.

Hoping to get the weapons off the streets with the "Guns for Roses" program, authorities in two central South Carolina cities set up a program where anyone who turned in a gun received a free rose and a Best Buy gift card.

At a Columbia church, five cars lined up to give away guns before the exchange had even started. About an hour and a half later, police had collected 75 weapons.

"We've got a great turnout so far," Richland County sheriff's spokesman Lt. Chris Cowan said.

A handgun was worth a $100 gift card, while a rifle or shotgun netted a $50 gift certificate. Cowan said one man turned in six handguns, worth $600 in gift cards.

But there was no amnesty for those turning in the guns. The weapons were checked to see if they were stolen, names and addresses were jotted down and ballistics tests would also be done to see if the firearm was used in a crime.

Cowan said the idea was spawned in part by Columbia Police Chief T.P. Carter and Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott, who has made headlines recently for investigating Michael Phelps after a photo surfaced showing the Olympic swimming champion smoking a marijuana pipe. The program was modeled after a California one; similar exchanges have been done in New York and San Francisco.

Cowan said gun donors were young and old, men and woman. Many had a big smile and some said it was a relief to get rid of the weapons.

And did the men even care about the rose?

"Most of them have taken it," Cowan said.

UtahApocalypse
02-14-2009, 12:40 PM
yeah im sure it was all criminals that turned in their weapons, especially with the zero amnesty.

angelatc
02-14-2009, 01:08 PM
Defenseless Population = SLAVES

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090214/ap_on_fe_st/odd_guns_for_roses

COLUMBIA, S.C. – Police in South Carolina gave away roses on Valentine's Day. All you had to do to get one for your sweetie was turn in a gun.

Hoping to get the weapons off the streets with the "Guns for Roses" program, authorities in two central South Carolina cities set up a program where anyone who turned in a gun received a free rose and a Best Buy gift card.

At a Columbia church, five cars lined up to give away guns before the exchange had even started. About an hour and a half later, police had collected 75 weapons.

"We've got a great turnout so far," Richland County sheriff's spokesman Lt. Chris Cowan said.

A handgun was worth a $100 gift card, while a rifle or shotgun netted a $50 gift certificate. Cowan said one man turned in six handguns, worth $600 in gift cards.

But there was no amnesty for those turning in the guns. The weapons were checked to see if they were stolen, names and addresses were jotted down and ballistics tests would also be done to see if the firearm was used in a crime.

Cowan said the idea was spawned in part by Columbia Police Chief T.P. Carter and Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott, who has made headlines recently for investigating Michael Phelps after a photo surfaced showing the Olympic swimming champion smoking a marijuana pipe. The program was modeled after a California one; similar exchanges have been done in New York and San Francisco.

Cowan said gun donors were young and old, men and woman. Many had a big smile and some said it was a relief to get rid of the weapons.

And did the men even care about the rose?

"Most of them have taken it," Cowan said.

It would be funny to see a dealer passing out cards at the entrance, telling them he could probably give them a better deal.

Knightskye
02-14-2009, 01:08 PM
That's like taking your Valentine's date to McDonald's to get the free rose.

Maximilian American
02-14-2009, 01:09 PM
This is a great way to get some worth for old unused guns that have less market value than what the coppers are offering. :)

I'll gladly exchange my old rusty and often jammed Beretta for a $100 fed notes then exchange that for gold, silver, or anything else that have proven historic value.

angelatc
02-14-2009, 01:35 PM
I'd rather have my beau hand me a gun than a rose.

BuddyRey
02-14-2009, 01:40 PM
This defies all logic!!! Do the police really believe that someone who would be so willing to turn in his gun would be a violent criminal? No way! That's their bread and butter!

They'd probably just keep their guns and use them to rob the local florist if they need some roses!

Ex Post Facto
02-14-2009, 01:40 PM
Damn that's a great free market idea. Couldn't you do the same thing set up a booth to buy guns from people no questions asked? Then ship them to a state that buys them for $100 a piece, turn them all in and make a profit.

ItsTime
02-14-2009, 01:41 PM
It would be funny to see a dealer passing out cards at the entrance, telling them he could probably give them a better deal.

I would have loved to see that. I wonder why no one thought about doing that :D

UtahApocalypse
02-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Did not each and every person selling their gun break the law? What I mean is to sale a gun there are them gun laws that require applications, background checks, and a 48hr wait. Did the police buying these guns submit to all of these laws?

devil21
02-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Did not each and every person selling their gun break the law? What I mean is to sale a gun there are them gun laws that require applications, background checks, and a 48hr wait. Did the police buying these guns submit to all of these laws?

SC allows private sales.

hillbilly123069
02-15-2009, 12:09 AM
They had 1 here last year for shoes and 1 teen turned in loaded rocket launcher.

puppetmaster
02-15-2009, 02:46 AM

Laws vari from state to state....Nevada has no waiting and transfer from person to person ok as long as the recieving party has Nevada ID

puppetmaster
02-15-2009, 02:47 AM
They had 1 here last year for shoes and 1 teen turned in loaded rocket launcher.

what a dope

TrueFreedom
02-15-2009, 12:18 PM
I don't get the whole scary language use in the title....."disarming propaganda"....come on that's rediculous. If people want to turn in their gun for a gift card, that is their choice. Does it take criminals off the street? No. But quit with the whole conspiracy "their taking our guns away!" nonsense.

Danke
02-15-2009, 12:27 PM
I don't get the whole scary language use in the title....."disarming propaganda"....come on that's rediculous. If people want to turn in their gun for a gift card, that is their choice. Does it take criminals off the street? No.

If doesn't have an effect on crime, then what is its purpose...propaganda? Or do they resell the guns for a profit to alleviate that taxpayer's burden. :rolleyes:

ihsv
02-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Yes, and the criminals line up like ducks in a pond to turn in their firearms, particularly when there's no "amnesty". How much you wanna bet? :)

UtahApocalypse
02-15-2009, 01:07 PM
SC allows private sales.

Laws vari from state to state....Nevada has no waiting and transfer from person to person ok as long as the recieving party has Nevada ID

Always thought there were some federal restrictions as well. thank god there is not.

mediahasyou
02-15-2009, 01:33 PM
no thanks.

Cleaner44
02-15-2009, 01:41 PM
I wonder if you can get a piece of crap handgun from a pawn shop and make a profit.

Cleaner44
02-15-2009, 01:42 PM
I don't get the whole scary language use in the title....."disarming propaganda"....come on that's rediculous. If people want to turn in their gun for a gift card, that is their choice. Does it take criminals off the street? No. But quit with the whole conspiracy "their taking our guns away!" nonsense.

This whole thing is a conspiracy to take our guns! I say "Stick it to the man!"

mediahasyou
02-15-2009, 01:43 PM
lol. maybe they should talk to these Obama (http://theobamaforum.com) people on The Obama Forum (http://theobamaforum.com).

speciallyblend
02-15-2009, 04:54 PM
ROSES FOR GUNS, i guess i cannot bring a rose and get a GUN??? snickers

nobody's_hero
02-15-2009, 06:05 PM
I once beat up a late-night intruder with a rose.

—Nah, I'm just kiddin'. I think guns would be more useful.

coyote_sprit
02-15-2009, 06:18 PM
ROSES FOR GUNS, i guess i cannot bring a rose and get a GUN??? snickers

Hell I'd trade them a bouquet and a Newegg gift certificate.

puppetmaster
02-15-2009, 06:18 PM
I once beat up a late-night intruder with a rose.

—Nah, I'm just kiddin'. I think guns would be more useful.

That gives me a great idea..I will trade in all my guns and make a fence out of the rose stems. Line them up around the perimeter of my house, that way the man cannot get past my wall of thorns.