PDA

View Full Version : So, someone is blaming Coolidge's laissez faire for Great Depression

Zera
02-14-2009, 11:54 AM
... And is trying to link, crazily enough, that to the problems we have now.

I honestly don't know much about the Great Depression and what lead to it, but could I make a rebuttal to this?

danberkeley
02-14-2009, 12:35 PM

I honestly don't know much about the Great Depression and what lead to it, but could I make a rebuttal to this?

Why not just blame Thomas Jefferson? Or King Edward III? Or Augustus? Or King Tut?

Truth Warrior
02-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Bernanke: Federal Reserve caused Great Depression
Fed chief says, 'We did it. very sorry, won't do it again'
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=59405 (http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=59405)

lucius
02-14-2009, 01:46 PM
In the planed economic depression of the 1930's, the Rothschild's sheared us, just like they are doing again now, with not even the courtesy of a reach around...their goal is the creation of non-extinguishable debt--they are almost there.

Austin
02-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Listen to the Glen Beck episode with Thomas Woods on it.

He explains how Coolidge had an approach to the economy that was far from laissez fair

fletcher
02-14-2009, 02:08 PM

And their evidence is? The depression was caused by the inflationary policies of the Fed. Your evidence: America's Great Depression (http://www.mises.org/rothbard/agd/contents.asp). Obviously this person is not very bright if they are claiming that we have anything resembling laissez faire. The mere fact that we have a central bank negates that claim.

Young Paleocon
02-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Listen to the Glen Beck episode with Thomas Woods on it.

He explains how Coolidge had an approach to the economy that was far from laissez fair

Think you're talking about Hoover and that misrepresentation. No, Coolidge was the President throughout most of the roaring 20's in which time there was very exceptional growth due to the lowering of taxes, general peace, and vast expansion of the money supply by the Fed. They were outpacing their gold reserves, and had to cut credit expansion when the market crashed in '29. It's really a fallacy to blame any president for what the FED does. Coolidge was one of our great president's though in my opinion. Google a couple of videoed speeches he gave think everyone should like what they hear.

Austin
02-15-2009, 12:19 AM
Think your talking about Hoover and that misrepresentation. No, Coolidge was the President throughout most of the roaring 20's in which time there was very exceptional growth due to the lowering of taxes, general peace, and vast expansion of the money supply by the Fed. They were outpacing their gold reserves, and had to cut credit expansion when the market crashed in '29. It's really a fallacy to blame any president for what the FED does. Coolidge was one of our great president's though in my opinion. Google a couple of videoed speeches he gave think everyone should like what they hear.

Ah, yes. I was mistaken.

Jeremy
02-15-2009, 12:22 AM
The policies of Harding and Coolidge saved the economy. The policies of Hoover ruined the economy. The policies of FDR made it worse.