PDA

View Full Version : Blackwater Takes Our Advice, Adopts Inscrutable, Opaque Name

Omphfullas Zamboni
02-13-2009, 03:58 PM
http://blog.wired.com/defense/2009/02/blackwater-foll.html

For the last year or so, Blackwater Xe has been moving away from its core business of diplomat protection, and into -- well, just about everything else, it seems. Firm CEO Erik Prince has put together teams of spies-for-hire. The company is pushing ahead with plans to protect commercial ships, traveling through pirate-packed seas. And in case that doesn't work out, the company is making custom rifles, marketing spy blimps, assembling a fleet of light attack aicraft, and billing itself as experts in everything from cargo handling to dog training to construction management. It's even training pro athletes.

Spy blimps? Could it be? Captain Ron Paul, Blackwater Mercenary?

BuddyRey
02-13-2009, 04:26 PM
http://blog.wired.com/defense/2009/02/blackwater-foll.html

Spy blimps? Could it be? Captain Ron Paul, Blackwater Mercenary?

What does Ron Paul have to do with this? He's not involved in Blackwater, I hope!!! :eek:

Now that it's changed its name to avoid higher public scrutiny, we should make sure to fight even harder to spread the word and hit Xe with the xax!

ihsv
02-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Spy blimps. The first thing I thought of was a fat chick with binoculars :D

ihsv
02-13-2009, 04:27 PM
What does Ron Paul have to do with this? He's not involved in Blackwater, I hope!!! :eek:

He's referring to the Ron Paul blimp, I think

Omphfullas Zamboni
02-13-2009, 04:35 PM
He's referring to the Ron Paul blimp, I think

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/secretary_part_2.png

Zippyjuan
02-13-2009, 07:45 PM
What would you all think of privitasing either the military or police and giving a contract to Blackwater (or "Xe" as they want to change their name to)? Isn't privitasation supposed to be a good thing?

Omphfullas Zamboni
02-13-2009, 08:39 PM
What would you all think of privitasing either the military or police and giving a contract to Blackwater (or "Xe" as they want to change their name to)? Isn't privitasation supposed to be a good thing?

That's a good question. Also, would Blackwater be contracted for Congressman Paul's, "marque and reprisal" idea?

Freedom 4 all
02-13-2009, 08:48 PM
They can call themselves the fluffy marshmallow squadron and that will only make them less threatening and scary to someone with the IQ of a turnip.

Athan
02-14-2009, 12:55 AM
oh shit 4chan in charge!

TruthisTreason
02-14-2009, 01:05 AM
I'm reading a book about Blackwater and its very interesting to say the least. Kicking down a door near you, coming soon!

ihsv
02-14-2009, 01:35 AM
I'm reading a book about Blackwater and its very interesting to say the least. Kicking down a door near you, coming soon!

I'll be sure and put the welcome mat out for them. :D

Mini-Me
02-14-2009, 01:58 AM

Well, privatizing the police and/or military isn't really my issue, but I will say this: The idea of privatizing protection services rests upon the idea that everyone involved must always be held fully accountable for their actions, just like any other normal person...as opposed to today's situation, where the police are considered "special" and given extra leeway. In Blackwater's case: Considering the government pretty much gives Blackwater a free pass to do anything it asks, it's pretty much created a "thug caste," in the words of Naomi Wolf. Somehow, I get the feeling that the way Blackwater operates with government-guaranteed impunity and a free pass for aggressive operations is, well...quite a bit different from what the anarcho-capitalists are advocating. ;)

libertarian4321
02-14-2009, 02:29 AM
Blimp!

FrankRep
02-14-2009, 10:18 AM
US Security Firm Mired in Iraq Controversy Changes Its Name
Blackwater Worldwide renamed Xe as company tries to salvage its tarnished brand

http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2009/02/13-10

Reason
02-15-2009, 12:18 AM
Associated Press - Blackwater Dumping Tarnished Brand Name

The security firm Blackwater says it is dumping its brand name, damaged by missteps in security work in Iraq. Instead, it is going for a disarmingly simple two-letter name, Xe. (Feb. 14)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdkA5H8bHfk

ihsv
02-15-2009, 12:23 AM
A rose by any other name...

user
02-15-2009, 01:15 AM

No no no! This is a very important issue so I hope everyone here understands.

There are two different meanings of the word "privatization".

1) Take a government function and hand it off to a "private" entity while paying them with government funds.

2) Separate the function completely from the government.

#1 is the "bad" kind of privatization; it's what fascists and many conservatives like. When most Republicans talk about privatization, this is what they mean.

#2 is the "good" kind. When libertarians talk about privatization, this is usually what they mean.

#1 expands the state and is usually a step in the wrong direction. In fact, privatization should only have definition #2. Statists have twisted the word to have the first meaning. Don't be fooled!