PDA

View Full Version : SmartGrid / Smart Thermostats

mconder
02-13-2009, 03:01 PM
http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2009/02/10/google-wants-to-smarten-up-your-home-with-powermeter-2/

Does anyone here have a major problem with this? I think I am going to stop using Google. There is no way I am going to let someone have 2 way communication with my F'ing house. Alex Jones was on today and he said they his office will be getting one of these Smart Thermostats soon. Has anyone here been forced to install one of these?

Ex Post Facto
02-13-2009, 03:08 PM
As long as YOU are in total control of this technology then I have no problem with it. This is one of these things that government might try to control over time, so I'm against any government intervention or requirement.

mconder
02-13-2009, 03:11 PM
Have we learned nothing yet? This is the way this stuff is always sold to us...as some kind of convenience we can not live without. Once critical mass is reached it will be a requirement. Once it has been a requirement long enough, no one will question it and it will end up in a government database somewhere. Then comes the emergency where they must control our consumption habits for our own good. Google is trying to get grants for this technology. Is that enough to raise your ire?

Xenophage
02-13-2009, 03:21 PM
Have we learned nothing yet? This is the way this stuff is always sold to us...as some kind of convenience we can not live without. Once critical mass is reached it will be a requirement. Once it has been a requirement long enough, no one will question it and it will end up in a government database somewhere. Then comes the emergency where they must control our consumption habits for our own good. Google is trying to get grants for this technology. Is that enough to raise your ire?

You're looking at the symptom, and not the cause. The cause is government. Technology is technology - you're free to live in a tent in the woods if you want to. As for me, I look forward to warp drives and android sex slaves - as long as the government stays out of it.

RideTheDirt
02-13-2009, 04:12 PM
You're looking at the symptom, and not the cause. The cause is government. Technology is technology - you're free to live in a tent in the woods if you want to. As for me, I look forward to warp drives and android sex slaves - as long as the government stays out of it.

lmao

pcosmar
02-13-2009, 04:22 PM
They upgraded our Electric Meters last year. They now communicate with the office via the power line. I now longer have to read my meter and turn in the bill.

Since I heat with wood I have no functioning Thermostat. :D

Rael
02-13-2009, 04:57 PM
They upgraded our Electric Meters last year. They now communicate with the office via the power line. I now longer have to read my meter and turn in the bill.

Since I heat with wood I have no functioning Thermostat. :D

you have a woodstove or something?

pcosmar
02-13-2009, 05:06 PM
you have a woodstove or something?

Yup, several.
The wood furnace in the Basement keep up well till it gets below 20 degrees.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3151/2620473411_6ab7de0e2c.jpg?v=0

On colder and sub zero days we fire up another.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3224/2620476281_59b4a7c3e8.jpg?v=0