PDA

View Full Version : RP supports dont ask dont tell

Pauls' Revere
02-13-2009, 12:05 AM
got this from my Yahoo alerts:

Being 'gay' a sin? Ron Paul can't say
WorldNetDaily Wed, 11 Feb 2009 20:59 PM PST
Only months after announcing his candidacy for president, Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, declared that he could not judge homosexuality as a sin and affirmed his support for the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy â a rule the Obama administration has indicated it plans to repeal altogether.

Makes sense to me. Except for the Obama thing.

Danke
02-13-2009, 12:13 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=179242

Mini-Me
02-13-2009, 12:31 AM
That's somewhat misleading though, because it doesn't really tell the full story on Paul's position, and it makes him seem a tad more socially conservative than he really is: Rather than keeping it the same, he would amend "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" to focus on disruptive sexual behavior of any type, whereas it currently forces gay people to hide their sexual orientation. Speaking on a translator who was fired just for being gay, he said:

He was kicked out, for no real good reason at all, and I would, I would want to change that, I don’t support that interpretation.

Personally, I actually like Obama's idea better on this particular issue (and this is probably the one and only issue where you'll ever hear me say that), but I think Paul does a pretty good job here of taking a moderate position that few people on either side would flat-out throw rocks at him for...and that's good, considering "moral" wedge issues at the national level are typically good for nothing more than dividing us and keeping the establishment in power.

Juvenal
02-13-2009, 11:30 AM
I think Ron Paul's position is better summed up as "Don't ask, Don't tell, but if you do, who cares?"

I think he's the type that takes the "Judge not, lest ye be judged" axiom to heart.