PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Candidate in NY 20th Special Election

SaratogaForRonPaul
02-12-2009, 08:43 PM
With Gillibrand taking up Hillary's Senate seat, there is now a Special Election for the NY 20th Congressional seat. Eric Sundwall is the NY Libertarian Chair, who is running on Ron Paul's 4 Independent 4 point plan of foreign policy, privacy, national debt, and abolishing the Federal Reserve. When Governor Patterson officially announces the election on February 23rd, Eric's campaign will only have 12 days to collect over 3,500 signatures (tough even over the normal 6 week period with normal elections), while the Democrat and Republican candidates do not have to collect any signatures. Eric needs $10,000 to help hire professional ballot collectors in addition to the volunteers to help make this happen. He has already collected half, but needs help to get the rest in time.

Please visit: http://www.sundwall4congress.org

Hamer
02-13-2009, 12:45 PM
With Gillibrand taking up Hillary's Senate seat, there is now a Special Election for the NY 20th Congressional seat. Eric Sundwall is the NY Libertarian Chair, who is running on Ron Paul's 4 Independent 4 point plan of foreign policy, privacy, national debt, and abolishing the Federal Reserve. When Governor Patterson officially announces the election on February 23rd, Eric's campaign will only have 12 days to collect over 3,500 signatures (tough even over the normal 6 week period with normal elections), while the Democrat and Republican candidates do not have to collect any signatures. Eric needs $10,000 to help hire professional ballot collectors in addition to the volunteers to help make this happen. He has already collected half, but needs help to get the rest in time.

Please visit: http://www.sundwall4congress.org

Tell him to join www.retakecongress.com and he will get help for free as well

Peace&Freedom
02-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Tell him to join www.retakecongress.com and he will get help for free as well

On it. The petition period will be from 2/23 - 3/06 (12 days to get those 3500 sigs). Pitch in to help Eric now!

brandon
02-13-2009, 05:45 PM
damn...3500 in 12 days? That's brutal. I would say on average you can collect about 10 sigs per hour if your lucky. That means you need 350 hours of manpower in a 12 day period. That's going to be tough. If you can find about 40 people willing to commit 10 hours each you should be able to make it though.

daddioandkzj
03-11-2009, 10:23 AM
What's the status of this now? I live in Saratoga. What needs to be done?

Peace&Freedom
03-12-2009, 08:23 AM
What's the status of this now? I live in Saratoga. What needs to be done?

Sundwall submitted 7,000 sigs, awaiting Board of Elections confirmation as officially on the ballot. He has put a video together to introduce himself to the public:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFc66OeitO0

Peace&Freedom
03-27-2009, 06:40 AM
I regret to inform those interested that the NY Board of Elections threw Sundwall off the ballot in a hearing on 3/25, based on accepting objections to most of the 6,600+ petition signatures he collected. The objections raised were based on petty hyper technicalities that according to NY election law should have been disregarded considering the sigs were sound, but the board unanimously ruled instead to weigh them heavily---which suggests to me the fix was in to exclude Sundwall.

Perhaps a backroom deal was made between Gov. Paterson and the NY GOP to make sure this seat (vacated by Gillibrand) would be made safe for a Republican in exchange for making the Democrat incumbent a Senator. An appeal will not be made in time to stop the special election on 3/31, but further litigation to contest the unfair NY petitioning rules is being arranged (see eg freeandequal.org). P.S.: Sundwall's own statement withdrawing his candidacy is at:

http://www.sundwall4congress.org/2009/03/campaign-statement.html

Imperial
03-29-2009, 07:50 PM
If Jim Tedisco makes it into office, I want to do an e-mail and fax bomb campaign on him.

The slogan:

Tedisco the Tyrant.

Dripping Rain
03-29-2009, 07:58 PM
If Jim Tedisco makes it into office, I want to do an e-mail and fax bomb campaign on him.

The slogan:

Tedisco the Tyrant.

Huckabee & Romney both endorsed him. the GOP is working its ass for him. Is he really that bad?

Elwar
03-30-2009, 08:13 AM
Another reason why we pretty much have to run as Republicans. It's sad that it has to happen like this but these types of roadblocks are commonplace.

Libertarians spending 80% of their election to get on the ballot just in time to get excluded from any debate.

AuH20
03-31-2009, 12:08 PM
Why did Sundwall endorse Murphy? :confused::confused::mad: He should have stayed neutral.

Imperial
03-31-2009, 03:24 PM
Sundwall endorsed Murphy because Tedisco destroyed his candidacy by cowardly refusing to debate and then funding a massive effort to throw out the signatures Sundwall got to get on the ballot.

He destroyed the candidacy by pouring money, when Murphy at least debated Sundwall.

kathy88
03-31-2009, 03:36 PM
They don't even pretend it's a fair fight any more. So fucking aggravating.

Peace&Freedom
04-01-2009, 03:43 PM
From the Albany Times-Union today:

"New York 20th CD Election Results (updated)
April 1, 2009 at 2:37 pm by Irene Jay Liu

New York 20th Congressional District

Scott Murphy (D): 77,217 - 50%
Jim Tedisco (R): 77,192 - 50%

% Precincts Reporting: 100%

THE RACE IS TOO CLOSE TO CALL"

Now we know why Tedisco was so desperate to kick off Sundwall.